This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Surround sound not working? version 2

• Topic Archived

You have been randomly selected to participate in the Beta Test of our new message list page. We've rolled out this test in order to get additional feedback and error reports from a wider subset of users. We'll only display this notice once, but permanent links to disable the Beta, provide feedback, and get more information will be located at the bottom of each message list.

To disable this test for now, click here. For more information, please read our announcement about this redesign.

1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Surround sound not working? version 2
3 years ago#1
So a few days ago I bought some Logitech Z506 surround sound speakers. - http://www.chaoscomputers.co.za/products/8541/?name=Logitech+Z506+surround+Sound+Speakers

The surround sound did not work because my motherboard (gigabyte z68 AP-D3) only has 3 sound ports and does not support surround sound. It only has the green, mic and headphones ports.

So i bought a Genius sound card today. http://www.chaoscomputers.co.za/products/1412/?name=Sound+Maker+Value+5.1+PCI

The thing is, it won't play surround sound, I've matched the colors - I plugged the yellow into yellow and black into black but only the speakers plugged into green work.

If I plug the yellow into green those speakers will play sound. So the speakers are not broken. What's the problem here? Why isn't the surround sound working? I have changed my windows settings and installed the sound cards disc that came with it.

What am I missing?
---
i5 2500k@4ghz | MSI Radeon 6990 | 8GB DDR3 | Antec Dark Fleet DF-10 | Gigabyte Z68AP-D3
3 years ago#2
Alright I managed to get them to work, I needed to go into the new software installed and change it from 2 speaker to 6 speaker.

I can hear them with windows audio wizard when i click on them, but they do not play music.
---
i5 2500k@4ghz | MSI Radeon 6990 | 8GB DDR3 | Antec Dark Fleet DF-10 | Gigabyte Z68AP-D3
3 years ago#3
Most music is only two channel. You'll need a player that converts stereo output to surround if you want all speakers to work. I know foobar2000 has options to do it (preferences, playback, DSP manager, convert stereo to 4 channel), unsure about others.
---
"I think the gene pool needs some chlorine..."
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Surround sound not working? version 2

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Message List Beta Test is now on. To disable the Beta, just click here, or you can read more about it, report an error, or provide general feedback.
  • Topic Archived