This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Listen to my story, not tl;dr, just too long for topic title, opinions needed

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Listen to my story, not tl;dr, just too long for topic title, opinions needed

User Info: ChromaticAngel

ChromaticAngel
4 years ago#1
So, a few days ago, I started getting frequent BSOD, I collected data about my crashes and posted for help on a forum where it was suggested I run this pretty snazzy Memtest86+ program, so, I do, and it almost immediately tells me there is a problem with my RAM.

So, I yank out all my RAM, and begin testing the sticks one at a time, all test for 7-8 passes with no errors. So I think maybe it's a bad motherboard slot, so I test those one at a time using the same stick for all slots, and all of them test 7-10 passes no errors.

So I put all 4 sticks back in and run the test again for 7 more passes, and once again, no errors.

So, my question is--is it possible that the RAM was inserted improperly originally? I was under the impression that when you don't put RAM in correctly, it causes the computer to not boot at all, but maybe I hit some kind of proverbial horrific opposite of a sweet spot where the computer would actually boot but would crash horribly and frequently?
"The easiest way to stop piracy is ... by giving those people a service that's better than what they're receiving from the pirates." ~ Gabe Newell.

User Info: War_Pig_1331

War_Pig_1331
4 years ago#2
How much ram do you have and are you sure your PC was seeing it all? Maybe, only half was sitti right?

---
---
i5-2500k / EVGA GTX 670 SC / 8GB / CORSAIR Professional Series HX650 / ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3 / Samsung Spinpoint F3 / Antec DF-85 Black Steel ATX Full Tower

ChromaticAngel
4 years ago#3
I have 16 GB RAM and both my BIOS and Windows see all of it (Memtest86+ also sees all of it)
"The easiest way to stop piracy is ... by giving those people a service that's better than what they're receiving from the pirates." ~ Gabe Newell.

ChromaticAngel
4 years ago#4
FWIW, I am attempting to crash my computer again by repeating the steps I took to BSOD before, which was just browsing the web quickly, and with lots of tabs open.

ChromaticAngel
4 years ago#5
bump

User Info: thaandiesel

thaandiesel
4 years ago#6
i personalyl think your mobo slot myself, just starts to crap out when getting a heavy load, imho. maybe even running it with three sticks, but since you cant replicate the issue with 4 sticks, idunno hehe.
<- Q9550@3.3 - G31M - Hyper 212+ - 4 gig 1066 - GTX 470 650mhz - xfi 5.1 usb - turtle beach HPA2 true 5.1 - 64 gig Mushkin SSD ->
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Listen to my story, not tl;dr, just too long for topic title, opinions needed

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived