This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Listen to my story, not tl;dr, just too long for topic title, opinions needed

#1ChromaticAngelPosted 6/4/2012 8:35:32 PM
So, a few days ago, I started getting frequent BSOD, I collected data about my crashes and posted for help on a forum where it was suggested I run this pretty snazzy Memtest86+ program, so, I do, and it almost immediately tells me there is a problem with my RAM.

So, I yank out all my RAM, and begin testing the sticks one at a time, all test for 7-8 passes with no errors. So I think maybe it's a bad motherboard slot, so I test those one at a time using the same stick for all slots, and all of them test 7-10 passes no errors.

So I put all 4 sticks back in and run the test again for 7 more passes, and once again, no errors.

So, my question is--is it possible that the RAM was inserted improperly originally? I was under the impression that when you don't put RAM in correctly, it causes the computer to not boot at all, but maybe I hit some kind of proverbial horrific opposite of a sweet spot where the computer would actually boot but would crash horribly and frequently?
---
"The easiest way to stop piracy is ... by giving those people a service that's better than what they're receiving from the pirates." ~ Gabe Newell.
#2War_Pig_1331Posted 6/4/2012 8:39:32 PM
How much ram do you have and are you sure your PC was seeing it all? Maybe, only half was sitti right?

---
---
i5-2500k / EVGA GTX 670 SC / 8GB / CORSAIR Professional Series HX650 / ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3 / Samsung Spinpoint F3 / Antec DF-85 Black Steel ATX Full Tower
#3ChromaticAngel(Topic Creator)Posted 6/4/2012 8:44:44 PM
I have 16 GB RAM and both my BIOS and Windows see all of it (Memtest86+ also sees all of it)
---
"The easiest way to stop piracy is ... by giving those people a service that's better than what they're receiving from the pirates." ~ Gabe Newell.
#4ChromaticAngel(Topic Creator)Posted 6/4/2012 8:45:24 PM
FWIW, I am attempting to crash my computer again by repeating the steps I took to BSOD before, which was just browsing the web quickly, and with lots of tabs open.
---
#5ChromaticAngel(Topic Creator)Posted 6/5/2012 8:37:25 AM
bump
---
#6thaandieselPosted 6/5/2012 11:43:41 AM
i personalyl think your mobo slot myself, just starts to crap out when getting a heavy load, imho. maybe even running it with three sticks, but since you cant replicate the issue with 4 sticks, idunno hehe.
---
<- Q9550@3.3 - G31M - Hyper 212+ - 4 gig 1066 - GTX 470 650mhz - xfi 5.1 usb - turtle beach HPA2 true 5.1 - 64 gig Mushkin SSD ->