This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

this is bullcrap please help me. about steam

#1Blueandwhite87Posted 6/5/2012 10:07:53 AM
i bought this great half life 2 and other games on a disc came with the cd key I enterd the key, says key is valid but already used on another account, i made that account in 2006 and never used steam again used a diffrent email etc,,, so how do i get this game to work?
#2MomentDEFINEDPosted 6/5/2012 10:09:33 AM
To be blunt, you find the info for that account. Or buy it again for your current steam account. I don't think most would argue that HL2 is worth a second purchase, especially at the prices they often sell it for.
#3r0ge00Posted 6/5/2012 10:10:32 AM
You email Steam.
#4Blueandwhite87(Topic Creator)Posted 6/5/2012 10:12:11 AM
will they let me play it again if i still have a code?
#5KillerTrufflePosted 6/5/2012 10:12:23 AM
So to clarify:

* You bought this game in 2006 and created a Steam account for it using one e-mail.
* You are now trying to reinstall the game and enter the key into a new Steam account, different from the one you used before.

Is that correct? If so, you can't do that. With Steam games, you only need the key *once*, when you first tie the game to your Steam account. After that, you simply need to log into the Steam account to play. You technically would not even need the disc any more, since the game can be downloaded through Steam once it is tied to your account. Once the game (or that game's key) is tied to one account, it is permanent, and cannot be used on a different account.

If you no longer have access to that account, you can try a password reset using the e-mail address tied to the account. If you don't have access to the e-mail either, you'll need to file a support ticket with Steam support and see if you can recover the account that way.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#6DiehardFFv2Posted 6/5/2012 11:04:12 AM
Bwahahahaha, serves you right blueandwhite.
---
i5 3570k @4.2 GHz / Asrock Z77 Extreme4 / 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1866 / MSI GTX 560 / Corsair Force GT 120GB / Seagate Barracuda 2TB
#7NeoBillbinePosted 6/5/2012 11:08:40 AM
Blueandwhite87 posted...
i bought this great half life 2 and other games on a disc came with the cd key I enterd the key, says key is valid but already used on another account, i made that account in 2006 and never used steam again used a diffrent email etc,,, so how do i get this game to work?

If you can't get your copy activated I'll give you one. Just msg me for the code.
---
i7 2700K, ASRock Fatal1ty P67 PRO, NH-D14, 16 GB G.Skill
Ripjaws DDR3, GTX680, Crucial M4 128GB, 2TB Samsung F4, Asus Xonar DG, Corsair HX650, Arc Midi