This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PC won't turn on when a (functioning) hard drive is connected

#1SpideyManiaPosted 6/5/2012 4:34:56 PM
Hey guys, so I'm going to try to explain this as clearly as possible but if it's confusing, let me know and I can clarify. This is a pretty strange issue that I haven't encountered before.

So a couple months ago, I push the power button on my PC and it gets stuck at the beginning of booting into Windows. It shows up fine in BIOS but I have No GUI boot enabled in Windows 7 and it gets stuck when those dashed lines show up at the top left of the screen for a few seconds. All of a sudden noise/random pixels appear sporadically in the same horizontal line as those dashes but they continue all the way to the right of the screen. The HDD activity LED on the case is solidly on during this time and it just freezes at that screen with the dashes on the top left and the noise/random pixels spreading to the right from there.

The night before this happened for the first time I remembered that I had trouble copying files to one of my internal backup hard drives. So I assumed that drive might be the issue. I have 3 internal hard drives: boot SSD and 2 backup HDDs. I also have 1 external HDD connected all the time. This particular drive is a Western Digital Black 2TB. It was an external, but I cracked open the enclosure and made it an internal drive, connected with power and SATA cables and mounted inside the case. So it's been like that for over a year now functioning normally.

I unplugged the SATA cable from that hard drive and tried turning on the PC and it worked fine. I got into Windows and everything works normally. Now, I really needed some of the files on the drive so I tried plugging the SATA cable in WHILE the PC was already on and in Windows. To my surprise, the AutoPlay popup comes up, it shows up in Computer normally, and I can use the drive completely normally.

Since I'm extremely lazy and did not want to find a solution, I've been doing this for a couple months now. Disconnecting the drive to boot up, then reconnecting once I am in Windows. I've added hundreds of GBs of data and the hard drive is perfectly fine. The only problem is that now when it's plugged in, the PC won't boot.

I tried messing with boot orders and bringing up the boot menu and selecting the main boot SSD. But it still does the same thing. As long as that backup drive is connected (even as the last HDD on the boot order), it won't let the PC get fully into Windows.

So, now that I am getting tired of doing this every single day, does anyone have any ideas or recommendations? I apologize for the long post, and I really appreciate you taking the time to read through it.
---
Antec 900 | 680i | Q6600 | GTX 260 | 8GB | Intel 80GB SSD | VelociRaptor 300GB | Dual 24" Samsungs | G15 | G7 | X-Fi Titanium | Z5500
#2SpideyMania(Topic Creator)Posted 6/5/2012 6:17:11 PM
Bump, any suggestions?
---
Antec 900 | 680i | Q6600 | GTX 260 | 8GB | Intel 80GB SSD | VelociRaptor 300GB | Dual 24" Samsungs | G15 | G7 | X-Fi Titanium | Z5500
#3PFGeraciPosted 6/5/2012 8:02:08 PM
First step, I would check the SMART status of your hard drives because it sounds like one or more drives is physically messed up. You can google any number of methods to do this and they're all good (my method is using an Ubuntu live CD to boot with in emergencies). From the sounds of it, you will probably either need to wipe and reformat or replace one or more drives. If it is necessary, I would do this ASAP because hard drive failure is a pain in the ass to deal with at any level.
---
I had bread, I had cheese, and I had an iron. What was I supposed to do?
#4Lonestar2000Posted 6/5/2012 8:06:22 PM
Try a BIOS reset. If that doesn't work reinstall Windows.
---
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room.
Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335