This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Differnces between Diablo 3 and Torchlight

#1waffleash69Posted 6/5/2012 7:22:24 PM
I realize some people prefer Diablo 3, while others prefer Torchlight. I'm not trying to see which game is better.I'm just trying to see what the differences are between these 2 games in certain regards. First of all, I am a level 12 DH in Diablo 3. I'm still in act 1 so I apologize if I seem ignorant. I prefer to solo, and I absolutely love farming bosses for drops. Thats the first category.

How does each game handle going back to an area and farming wither normal mobs, sub bosses, and most importantly, bosses? I'm to the fishing village in D3 and I'm not sure how I should handle farming the Skeleton King. I don't know if I'll lose my saved progress up to that point or not.

I would assume Diablo 3 has a higher drop rate, since that's what it's all about. Is this the case? I have an itch for loot drops and making gold. I also like to spend some time finding the best gear available.

Replayability. I know Diablo 3 has multiple difficulty levels, which is also a main attraction to the game. Does Torchlight?

Skills. I figured D3 would have skill trees and have more than 6 skill slots on the hotbar. I also thought stat point would be in my control. It isn't a bad system, just not what I expected. How do Torchlight's skills and stats work?

If there's anything I'm missing when it comes to differences, please feel free to add them.

Thank you
---
Playing: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim(PC)
Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit -- AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 620 --Radeon HD 5770 1gb -- 4gb DDR2 RAM -- BFG 550w PSU
#2CuteBeansPosted 6/5/2012 7:23:54 PM
One is an Overpriced piece of ****. The other one will be an underpriced piece of ****
#3DV8ingSourcesPosted 6/5/2012 7:24:23 PM
Torchlight 2 is more Diablo than D3. The art style in torchlight is my main gripe, otherwise its a perfect diablo clone done very well.
---
2500k @ 4.5 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 580 3GB | 60+120 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 7 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#4CatToyPosted 6/5/2012 7:28:46 PM
You don't have to return to previous areas to farm in Diablo 3 until you reach Inferno.

You don't have to return to previous areas to farm in Torchlight because even on the highest difficulty, the game is never challenging.

Not to mention, difficulty in Torchlight isn't handled the same way. You pick it at the start of the game and you're stuck with it. It's a shame that that highest difficulty (of four) is still pretty easy.

Skills in Torchlight are handled as a mix of Diablo 1 and 2. You have your skill tree with core class skills, and then you learn "spells" that aren't class dependent, everyone can use them.
---
Duba Dubababa Ba Da! Dub?
http://whatpulse.org/stats/users/338862/
#5DawnshadowPosted 6/5/2012 7:44:26 PM
My advice? If you're going to get Torchlight for Steam, just pre-order Torchlight 2. It's only $20-- $5 more than Torchlight alone-- and you get the first Torchlight for free with it.

Anyway, the first Torchlight is a very small game, compared to Diablo. It's fun enough, and there are mods to raise the difficulty if you like it harder than the hard mode, but it's single-player and the main quest is only about 8 hours. You never go back and grind previous bosses; there are actually side mini-dungeons, accessed via scrolls, if you need to level or grind gear. :) It's pretty decent for the price, but not the most amazing game ever.

Torchlight 2 looks more like Diablo 2, only with a far less realistic art style. Several areas, overworld, more of a plot, etc. You also get a pet.
---
'Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the Character Battle.' --MetroidSuperfan on GlaDOS' loss.
The Topic Killer since 2001
#660secondAssasinPosted 6/5/2012 7:46:15 PM
Torchlight 2 is better than Torchlight and Diablo 3 combined. Goodbye now.
---
"There is nothing new under EA." - Fony
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2363251
#7Raiden01Posted 6/5/2012 7:46:16 PM
i would do diablo 3 because of the skill system, that you can experiment with skills, whereas torchlight, once you find out a better build later on, you are stuck wit your current skills.
#8waffleash69(Topic Creator)Posted 6/5/2012 8:00:35 PM
I plan on getting Torchlight 2 with the Torchlight bonus, I was just wondering if the original was fun. Diablo 3 is fun enough, but I feel a bit disappointed I spent $60 on it when Torchlight 2 is $20, which I just found out yesterday
---
Playing: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim(PC)
Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit -- AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 620 --Radeon HD 5770 1gb -- 4gb DDR2 RAM -- BFG 550w PSU
#9DawnshadowPosted 6/5/2012 8:04:13 PM
Raiden01 posted...
i would do diablo 3 because of the skill system, that you can experiment with skills, whereas torchlight, once you find out a better build later on, you are stuck wit your current skills.

There's a respec mod. :) So if you like respecs, install it and a vendor sells respec potions.
---
'Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the Character Battle.' --MetroidSuperfan on GlaDOS' loss.
The Topic Killer since 2001