This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

...Is my graphics card broken?

#1ChocoboDreamsPosted 6/6/2012 12:57:17 PM
Alright, so here's the whole scoop.

I went to sleep while watching Youtube two nights ago (Nostalgia Critic). Maximized screen, yada-yada (not sure if important). When I woke up, though, the screen was black. After fiddling around for a while, I just shut off the computer from the power button, and I heard the windows log-off jingle thing. I turned the computer back on, and still a black screen, but I was still able to hear the log-in jingle and all the other normal stuff. I continued to mess around with the computer, until finally, I just took the graphics card out. The computer works fine without it, albeit...weird. When I scroll up and down with the mouse-wheel it can be a bit laggy.

So, just in case, I plugged the card back in...and this time it worked. I used it for a while like this, until I noticed an error message when I tried to open up Google. I forgot exactly what it was, but it stated that because my computer's date and time was set before 2003 (which it shouldn't have been...but it was), I couldn't use it (since Google didn't exist then, or something). I changed the computer's time back to what it should have been, but Google still didn't work. I decided to just reboot, just in case...but now I was getting the black screen again (as if my monitor were off).

Since then, I've been using it without the card, though again I'm getting that lag when scrolling up and down on websites. Now, though, the graphics card is giving me a black screen no matter what. I've tried three times since, and it's always the black screen.

If it helps, the card is a GeForce 8400 GS.
---
July 18, 2011. Megaman Legends 3 has been cancelled. Today, I mourn. Here remains a reminder of what could have been.
PSN:ChocoboDreams
#2Fade2black001Posted 6/6/2012 1:31:47 PM
Well it is an old ass card. I wouldn't be shocked if it was dying.
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#3ChocoboDreams(Topic Creator)Posted 6/6/2012 1:36:10 PM
I just want to make sure that really is the problem. I do have another, better card; but I need to get a DVI-VGA adapter to plug my monitor into it. I wouldn't weep for this card's loss too much, I just want to know if that's really what happened.
---
July 18, 2011. Megaman Legends 3 has been cancelled. Today, I mourn. Here remains a reminder of what could have been.
#4ChocoboDreams(Topic Creator)Posted 6/6/2012 1:46:43 PM
Well, I got the "laggy" problem down. It seems I don't have a video driver installed, which I'm handling now. At the very least, I can have a decent experience without the card, now. I'd still like to know if the issue I described sounds like the card failing on me, though.
---
#5SoldierXCellPosted 6/6/2012 2:11:38 PM
Try this, on your monitor push the source button, if you have your screen display on HDMI Or analog or digital whatever it may be, this happens on my computer sometimes too, if you cant bring it back up then yes your video card may be done for,
---
AMD PhenomIIx6 1045t @ 3.0GHZ, 8GB Mushkin Enhanced Blackline, XFX Radeon 5770
#6AnAtheist131313Posted 6/6/2012 3:40:56 PM
go into your bios and check the date listed there if the date listed in the bios is still at 2003 even though windows is reading it as todays date the bios is what your system runs most checks on. just hit the del key right on startup and you should be able to get into your bios
---
we are but a single molecule in the ocean of time, but a single grain of sand in the desert of space. life is priceless don't risk it