This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

4:3 monitor LCD vs CRT.

#1greekgamerPosted 6/6/2012 2:20:23 PM
I have a chance in picking one of these monitors. Witch one should I pick up. It would be good for older games that don't support wide screen resolutions.
Im working with both 800x600 and 1024x768.
---
[ = [__] = ]
[ + [__] -:- ]
#2The cranky hermitPosted 6/6/2012 2:22:03 PM
No need for one. If you have DVI, you can just set your video card to scale with aspect ratio. The result is your widescreen monitor turns into a 4:3 monitor.
---
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!
#3Rolen74Posted 6/6/2012 2:41:02 PM
One thing to keep in mind if you play at lower resolution than what the LCD's native resolution is then it will look blury. CRT is better for low resolutions.
---
Milk-a-whaaaaaaaaa!?
#4ElDudorinoPosted 6/6/2012 2:47:34 PM
Ideally, just do what Cranky said. I play old games all the time like that.

If you are getting one of the two, there are a lot of variables to take into account. If the CRT is used, it may be pretty worn-out. CRTs, much like first-generation plasmas, suffer from phosphor aging over time which will reduce the quality of your picture significantly. You can even get an image permanently etched into the screen. Over time, an LCD may be better. You may also have to fix the shape of the image sent to the screen and weird stuff like that with a CRT. But if we're talking brand-new to brand-new, the better response time, lack of input lag, possibility for higher refresh rate and overall better picture quality of a good CRT could make it the winner. I don't think there are any good/high-end 4:3 LCDs anyway.

But really, if you already have a screen then just setting it to maintain aspect ratio is probably your best bet.