This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

processor question.

#1Gamerzero07Posted 6/6/2012 4:50:46 PM
Hey, i have a computer dell optiplex gx520 desktop computer series. and its got a Pentium 4 HT 2.8 GHZ processor, 1 gig of ram, etc basics, now i might be getting a computer with a core 2 duo processor but i cannot get one for the right price though, and everyone says core 2 duo cpus are better for gaming and regular internet stuff becauses its a duel core, now what about a pentium D, Duel core CPU? what i need to know, is it worth taking a short cut getting a Pentium D saving some more money for a better GPU and PSU, or spend more money and get myself a core 2 duo CPU.
which is better core 2 duo or pentium D for light-medium gaming, and basic internet, such as firefox. thanks all for the help!
---
________( ) ==== ()________________________
I_iiiii__/'''''''''[{]'''' ''''{__________}'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
#2SmoboHashPosted 6/6/2012 4:55:04 PM
Neither. Core i3 or Pentium G8xx
#3Gamerzero07(Topic Creator)Posted 6/6/2012 5:14:49 PM
why do most people on gamefaqs do that? not everyone is rich and can go spend a couple hundred to thousands of dollars on a computer. i have a very limited budget, thats why i asked, core 2 duo or pentium duel core for low to mid end gaming such as world of warcraft rift and others. core i3s start at a bare pricing of 129.99$ thats just i dont have that much for one piece of hardware. thanks though :) sorry if i sound blunt or cold.
---
I_iiiii__/'''''''''[{]'''' ''''{__________}'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
#4DV8ingSourcesPosted 6/6/2012 5:18:35 PM
Well there comes a time when an old pc just isn't worth upgrading. This appears to be the time. No offense intended but its scenarios like this that make pc gaming look worse than it is. People buy very small upgrades only to find out that a year later they need to upgrade drastically anyways. I suggest you tell us your budget and someone will be able to find a decent deal. If your budget is too low then you may just need to save a bit more.
---
2500k @ 4.5 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 580 3GB | 60+120 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 7 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#5Dark Knuckles chaoPosted 6/6/2012 5:22:17 PM(edited)
A Core 2 Duo is much faster than a Pentium D. With that said, are you even sure your motherboard supports Core 2 processors? I'm pretty sure it only supports Pentium 4/D just like my old Dell E510.
---
The dogs hunger for the FLESH of our enemies!
#6MaKhaosPosted 6/6/2012 5:28:16 PM
Gamerzero07 posted...
why do most people on gamefaqs do that? not everyone is rich and can go spend a couple hundred to thousands of dollars on a computer. i have a very limited budget, thats why i asked, core 2 duo or pentium duel core for low to mid end gaming such as world of warcraft rift and others. core i3s start at a bare pricing of 129.99$ thats just i dont have that much for one piece of hardware. thanks though :) sorry if i sound blunt or cold.

That's why he said i3 OR PENTIUM G8XX.

And i3's do not start at $129, they start at $113.

It's also a better idea to save up and get a better CPU now than go with a weak one and bottleneck your new GPU.

The i3 is recommend because its the best for a budget build. Lowest practical way to go for gaming is probably AMD's APU before the LGA 1155 Pentiums and Celerons.

Also, check your motherboard.
#7Gamerzero07(Topic Creator)Posted 6/6/2012 6:13:22 PM
dell optiplex 745, i am really thinking of buying one of these, couple of reasons, number one, to play games, world of warcraft,aion,guild wars, etc, and i do alot of back ups from my phone to pc and mess around i am always using the internet and apps. it seems like a great computer for the family including myself, and it can have between 4-8 gigs of ram, yeah its ddr2 but eh better than nothing. its got the PCI-X16 so i can slap a video card decent enough to run the games i would like to play, upgrade that power supply which is a cheap fix 20 bucks wont cost more than 20-40 for the GPU and the ram upgrade can wait a whiles when i get a little extra cash on the side to spend. soo. and it does come with the core 2 duo some of them do, i am looking at two PCs one that you can upgrade from P4 to PD or C2D. my budget is around a good 150, which is kind of alot to me. so i gotta make it go and look for the great deals. on ebay you can always grab an out dated video card that does still work very nice with games, just because its not the lastest and greatest doesnt mean it can't run anything :)
---
#8VolebamusPosted 6/6/2012 6:47:55 PM(edited)
I think I remember this.

Your case is a very rare instance, as you apparently have just a $150 budget, but I don't recall if this is just for the Dell tower, or for all hardware right now (including GPU). The problem is that you should state at the very beginning what your budget was, as it's essentially the only time I've seen that figure, even in other forums that are non-pc focused.

Additionally, with such a budget, you should almost never consider replacing the PSU, as there will be none worth it for your situation. You need to spend as much as you can towards a sub-$100 GPU, and those typically will not need power requirements that will force you to upgrade the PSU at all.

Lastly, have you already scoped out where you can get the best used Dell in your area? Something like the Optiplex 745 is even considered aged by current offices (though I still see some that use it or within its generation, especially offices within my university), so it won't be surprising if you can even get that optiplex (or admittedly any Core 2 Duo Dell) for less than $100 (possibly free) if you happen to know anyone in IT of relatively larger businesses. They typically have inventory of these lying around for a few months before deciding to send them to surplus, or even just throwing them away.
---
i3-2120 || HD 6870 || CX430 || NZXT S210E
TZ68K+ (lol) || 12GB ddr3 (lol x2) || 2x 80GB hdd (ssjlol3)