This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Help me set up my home network.

#1mkil5Posted 6/7/2012 4:34:53 AM
OK, here is the deal, I am having to move my wireless router around, it is going to a more centralized part of the house. This means that there will be devices wired directly to it.

However on my PC I have a long wireless cable and I will be able to get a fairly good wireless connection. Now here is where my problem comes in: My PC is very close to my video game consoles, devices, etc. I have an old B router laying around.

What I am wanting to do is this:
Since my PC is going to be getting a good connection, my other devices will be getting questionable wireless service, at best.
So how would I go about using the wireless signal that I get with my PC, and use it while setting up a "sub-network" of the house so I will be able to share files and internet with my devices using my old B router (using ethernet on the B router, I am not trying to use it as a bridge)
If someone can please help me out it will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
#2ShadowSkill11Posted 6/7/2012 4:52:10 AM
I have no idea what a long wireless cable is.
#3mkil5(Topic Creator)Posted 6/7/2012 4:57:54 AM
Basically a cable that will extend my access point by 20 ft.
#4ShadowSkill11Posted 6/7/2012 5:00:39 AM
mkil5 posted...
Basically a cable that will extend my access point by 20 ft.

Right... Im pretty sure you don't have your terminology right.
#5mkil5(Topic Creator)Posted 6/7/2012 5:14:23 AM
I don't care man, I really don't care.

Can someone please help me out?
Thanks a lot
#6Fade2black001Posted 6/7/2012 5:55:26 AM
Well you could always upgrade your router to a wireless N standard type router. That would increase your signal strength and everything. Wireless B standard is old as sin and is most likely holding you back. I'm sure most if not all of your devices can make use of a Wireless N router.. With Wireless N and the devices that can take advantage of it will have improved network transfer speeds. It will greatly improve overall performance period.
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#7mkil5(Topic Creator)Posted 6/7/2012 7:13:05 AM
The router that I am using for my wireless network is an N. The B is one that will have DHCP, etc turned off and used as a switch.