This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Help me set up my home network.

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Help me set up my home network.
3 years ago#1
OK, here is the deal, I am having to move my wireless router around, it is going to a more centralized part of the house. This means that there will be devices wired directly to it.

However on my PC I have a long wireless cable and I will be able to get a fairly good wireless connection. Now here is where my problem comes in: My PC is very close to my video game consoles, devices, etc. I have an old B router laying around.

What I am wanting to do is this:
Since my PC is going to be getting a good connection, my other devices will be getting questionable wireless service, at best.
So how would I go about using the wireless signal that I get with my PC, and use it while setting up a "sub-network" of the house so I will be able to share files and internet with my devices using my old B router (using ethernet on the B router, I am not trying to use it as a bridge)
If someone can please help me out it will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
3 years ago#2
I have no idea what a long wireless cable is.
3 years ago#3
Basically a cable that will extend my access point by 20 ft.
3 years ago#4
mkil5 posted...
Basically a cable that will extend my access point by 20 ft.

Right... Im pretty sure you don't have your terminology right.
3 years ago#5
I don't care man, I really don't care.

Can someone please help me out?
Thanks a lot
3 years ago#6
Well you could always upgrade your router to a wireless N standard type router. That would increase your signal strength and everything. Wireless B standard is old as sin and is most likely holding you back. I'm sure most if not all of your devices can make use of a Wireless N router.. With Wireless N and the devices that can take advantage of it will have improved network transfer speeds. It will greatly improve overall performance period.
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
3 years ago#7
The router that I am using for my wireless network is an N. The B is one that will have DHCP, etc turned off and used as a switch.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Help me set up my home network.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived