This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Decide a laptop for me?

#1werekillerPosted 6/7/2012 6:41:02 AM
Hey everyone!

I know I am thrusting a large amount of the work to you, but Im really clueless as to where to even start looking. I looked at xotic laptops, but I was a little hesitant to buy one without being able to see a lot of reviews

I was thinking this one
http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-b53sxh51-p-2905.html?wconfigure=yes

with a Ram upgrade to 16gb and a the seagate 750 gb hard drive 8 gb ssd hybrid

I was also looking at samsung series 7

I don't game too much on my laptop, but I want it to be able to play games at their lowest setting for about 3 years, so I figure I need really good specs now to keep it relevant. Mostly play games like elder scrolls and civ 5.

I'll be a student taking my laptop to class, so portability and battery life are a concern. I know both of those are hard to get if you get a "gaming laptop", so Im not sure where to compromise concerning the video card. I'd like to get around 6-8 hours of battery life, and id like to stay around 6 lbs or less, though if its battery life is excellent id go up to 7

My budget can go up to 2000, but Id be most comfortable around 1000-1500

Thoughts?

Thank you!
---
Don't let your morals get in the way of doing what's right
-Foundation
#2ShubPosted 6/7/2012 6:54:36 AM(edited)
Are you going to be so far from outlets for such extended periods of time that you need 6-8 hours of battery life?
Because frankly, I'd say you're a good fit for this laptop: http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np6110-clevo-w110er-p-4343.html.
Its battery life is shorter, but it does use Optimus so the battery life isn't terrible, and for gaming it will perform enormously better than that Asus. It's also smaller and lighter. Of course you should only game when plugged in.

In any case, I don't recommend that you waste money on getting 16 GB of RAM, just get 8. Only get 16 if your school-related work will require that much RAM (such as if you'll be doing intensive CAD). I also don't really recommend the 750 GB drive w/ 8 GB SSD. I would actually recommend getting a 128 GB SSD and a small, portable USB 3.0 hard drive of any size you want.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#3werekiller(Topic Creator)Posted 6/7/2012 7:17:20 AM
I could go lower on the battery life, and thanks for the recommendations on the RAM and Hard Drive. I'd like to stick around a 15" screen though. The schoolwork will not be computing heavy, but Ill need to be able to see multiple windows at the same time (law school)
---
Don't let your morals get in the way of doing what's right
-Foundation
#4ShubPosted 6/7/2012 7:20:02 AM
Well, the Asus you picked and the one I'm recommending have the same screen resolution (1366x768), so you have exactly the same amount of desktop real estate on both laptops.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.