This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I need your guys' expertise on audio speakers (bookshelves)

#1hotgirlsarehotPosted 6/11/2012 4:22:36 PM
For frequency range, is it better to have a larger range between high and low end?

Is the weight of the speaker a VERY accurate way to determine if it's good or bad quality? (e.g. heavy = good)

For the tweeter for bass and treble, is it better to have a larger diameter for better sound quality? (e.g. 5.25" >> 1.5" tweeter dome)

If the encasing is wooden, is that good for sound to bounce off of, or is does it not really matter?

I can only afford bookshelf speakers and a receiver (cannot afford any other speakers or subwoofer). If a pair of bookshelfs are $100 more than one that is $198, BUT has better and deeper base....should I get the cheaper one, only due to the fact I eventually will get a sub?

If the thing that covers the tweeters are metal as opposed to rubber, will the sound be slightly more harsh?

Models I have listened to today at electronic store

KEF priced at $198 (sale from $298)
Soundstage speakers priced at $315 (sale from $349) - this one has larger bass tweeters)
JBL Nightlife speakers at $198 (sale from $298) - same size tweeters as KEFs

Audio wise, the base is deeper for Soundstage, and KEF and JBL sounded "the same", and movie scenes without music that has deep base, all 3 sound "the same" for me.
#2hotgirlsarehot(Topic Creator)Posted 6/11/2012 6:27:33 PM
bump