This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Got lots of money, and gonna spend it building a new computer, recommendations

#1ItchyIsVegetaPosted 6/14/2012 2:47:33 AM
So as of right now, I have just over $1000 bucks set aside for a new comp. (maybe getting more money in the next few weeks, but is not confirmed)

Here is what I have now:

HP with an AMD 1035T Phenom II X6
12 GB DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
Antec 500 Watt Power Supply
nVidia GeForce GTX 460 768MB video card

Haven't built a new comp in a few years, been sticking with my HP. I want a full tower case, cause I miss having plenty of room for stuff.

Playing a good variety of games, from Star Wars The Old Republic, to Starcraft 2, to Unreal 3, to Crysis 2. Current rig can actually run Crysis 2 pretty good, but I want to get as close to maxing it out as possible, on my 1920x1080 monitor.

Not too interested in going SLi or Crossfire, unless someone is really good at changing my mind. Too much of a pain to set up, and too high PSU requirements anyways.

Gonna stick with my current video card, and probably just upgrade that a month after building my comp.

I am wanting to go with an Intel Ivy Bridge i7. Not only will I be gaming, but I want to capture the video. The AMD chip I got is fast, but not doing the job. Not plan on overclocking.

Would like to go with an Intel motherboard if possible, but want to run the fastest ram that I can, with out overclocking.

Going with an SSD, debating on whether to do dual SSDs in RAID 0, so my MMOs load faster. SWTOR load times are killing me.

Any input appreciated, ty guys!
---
XBOX Gamertag: ITCHYisVegeta
#2doctorchimpPosted 6/14/2012 3:23:48 AM
Hey, same here.

Summer's here (and I'm not traveling anywhere or taking a class) so before next semester starts I needed a computer at home that could edit videos fairly well on Adobe and also play games...cause I'm done with consoles. I'm sure I'll be saving money in the long run if I'm skipping the next xbox and playstation.

I pretty much just decided to dump most of the amount in my June paychecks into a computer.

So far so good I have

i7 3770k
Asus P8Z77-V Pro
EVGA 670 GTX FTW I just bought off amazon.
HAF 932 full case
Corsair Vengeance 16 gb

All in all the build's gonna cost me 1400. That's just for the tower though, I still have to buy 2 new monitors.

If you're just gonna be capturing and streaming out videos, I'd say go for the sandy bridge i7 to save cash if you only have 1000 to play with and you want to nab an SSD.
#3ItchyIsVegeta(Topic Creator)Posted 6/14/2012 11:17:08 AM
well I am capturing the videos of the game play, at the same time. I can do one at a time with my current comp just fine now, but if I do both, my games lag.

When I look on twitch.tv and see a lot of people streaming at a high quality, I notice almost all of them using i7s.

The reviews I have read about Ivy Bridge is that if you have the Sandy Bridge i7, not worth paying the money to upgrade, but worth going with Ivy if you have to choose between the two. Especially if you are not overclocking, which I will no be doing.
---
#4doctorchimpPosted 6/14/2012 11:57:55 AM
ItchyIsVegeta posted...
well I am capturing the videos of the game play, at the same time. I can do one at a time with my current comp just fine now, but if I do both, my games lag.

When I look on twitch.tv and see a lot of people streaming at a high quality, I notice almost all of them using i7s.

The reviews I have read about Ivy Bridge is that if you have the Sandy Bridge i7, not worth paying the money to upgrade, but worth going with Ivy if you have to choose between the two. Especially if you are not overclocking, which I will no be doing.

Right, but just keep your budget in mind. Like I said with 1000 though you'll be making sacrifices to get the ivy bridge i7 and the SSD.

It'd be silly to get that stuff and then step down your graphics card.
#5ItchyIsVegeta(Topic Creator)Posted 6/14/2012 11:12:53 PM(edited)
Oh don't worry, I will definitely be upgrading to the near top of the line graphics card. It is just something I won't get in the beginning.

Every time I build a computer, I always get the graphics card after. It is just the way I do it.

First off, using the same graphics card right away, I can see the performance increase of the faster motherboard and new CPU. Second, It gives me another pay check to save up for a better graphics card.

Basically, I will be buying a graphics card within a month of building this computer with money I have, that is not set aside for building the comp (which is the $1000).

Anyways, any recommendations on a motherboard and SSD?
---
#6gigapuddiPosted 6/15/2012 12:06:40 AM
From: ItchyIsVegeta | Posted: 6/14/2012 2:47:33 AM | #001
debating on whether to do dual SSDs in RAID 0, so my MMOs load faster. SWTOR load times are killing me.

Not with $1000.

That's still a good rig you have there. I would wait until the next Intel tock, which is Haswell I think.
#7ShadowSkill11Posted 6/15/2012 1:08:04 AM
It's okay for what you have but $1000 isn't really a lot of money. Now if you had twice that you could build a god realm gaming machine.
#8ItchyIsVegeta(Topic Creator)Posted 6/15/2012 1:39:24 AM
ShadowSkill11 posted...
It's okay for what you have but $1000 isn't really a lot of money. Now if you had twice that you could build a god realm gaming machine.

Like what? Do a REALLY good job to convince me, and maybe I will make a withdraw out of my savings.
---
#9KingsofroninPosted 6/15/2012 1:46:09 AM
ItchyIsVegeta posted...
ShadowSkill11 posted...

Like what? Do a REALLY good job to convince me, and maybe I will make a withdraw out of my savings.

It's basically the difference from having to go semi-budget with an 2500k and 560ti...to going full scale ivy bridge, z77 motherboard and sli 670's. You can go ivy sli 670 for about 1800. The build will max B3 at 120 fps and be relevant for a WHILE.
---
Now Playing: Diablo III (PC), Crysis (PC), Final Fantasy XIV(PC) and Krater (PC) [PC ONLY 4EVER]
#10ItchyIsVegeta(Topic Creator)Posted 6/15/2012 2:01:04 AM
Not doing any dual video cards. Had bad luck last time I tried it. Could never get them to work right. Would rather just buy the latest and greatest every 6 months, and ebay the old one.
---