This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Some overclocking questions

#1PlaystionGodPosted 6/17/2012 9:22:18 AM
I wanted to start overclocking my amd phenom 965. I have a hyper 212 evo cpu cooler and at default 3.4GHz it gets to about 36-40 degrees Celsius. Are these temps ok for overclocking or are these high? Also, I will be using AMD Overdrive and trying to get 4GHz, I know to just increase the core 0 multiplier. Anything else I should do like increase the power and how do I know if my cpu is stable? What stress do I need to run and for how long?
---
Amazing YouTuber!
http://www.youtube.com/user/DancesWithSmurf
#2PlaystionGod(Topic Creator)Posted 6/17/2012 9:43:37 AM
How would I overclock it with AMD Overdrive? Just increase the core 0 multiplier right? I don't have to increase the volts?
---
Amazing YouTuber!
#3MouthBreather82Posted 6/17/2012 9:44:55 AM
PlaystionGod posted...
How would I overclock it with AMD Overdrive? Just increase the core 0 multiplier right? I don't have to increase the volts?

Currently I am not a OC'r but I would imagine there are a lot of youtube tutoriols on this.
---
ASUS P8H67-M PRO/CSM, Intel i7 2600, ASUS DCII GTX 670,8gb ddr3, Adata 128gb SSD, OEM 500gb HD, Rosewill Xtreme 750W, OEM dvdRw, Rosewill Thor V2
#4DragnfyrPosted 6/17/2012 10:18:05 AM(edited)
Use the BIOS for overclocking. Also you need to test stability after raising the multiplier with a program like Intel Burn Test. If it's not stable then you will need to up volts or lower OC.
---
Asus M4A88TD-M | Phenom II X4 B55@3.80GHz | 8GB DDR3-1333 | 40GB+64GB SSD | Corsair TX650 | eVGA GTX 470@750/1800 | Samsung T240 | Win 7 x64 | MacBook Air 11.6
#5DiehardFFv2Posted 6/17/2012 10:19:23 AM
AMD Overdrive is fine for finding a stable overclock before you get to your final destination. Testing everything in the BIOS is silly if you can avoid it until you know where you want to park.
---
Intel i5 3570k @4.2 GHz/ Asrock Z77 Extreme4 / 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1866 / EVGA GTX 570 / Corsair Force GT 120GB / Seagate Barracuda 2TB
#6DarkZV2BetaPosted 6/17/2012 10:23:18 AM(edited)
Pretty sure you're going to want to increase all the core multipliers.(or sync them, I'm sure there's an option for that.)

I never used AMD Overdrive because it's a lot of flash and glitter for not very much functionality, but the basis of overclocking on BEs is that you increase your p0 state multiplier a notch or two, test for stability, and if it isn't stable, increase voltage or turn it back down. Repeat until your temperatures reach uncomfortable levels(high 50s after a long burntest) or your voltage hits the maximum safe limit.(1.55v)
In general, it's best to alter your BIOS settings so that your system boots with the desired frequencies.
If you want a more robust tuning application, PhenomMsrTweaker allows control of the voltage and multiplier at each p state. It doesn't properly support interfacing with a Thuban p state set, though, and will rename the B0 state to P0 and gimp TurboCore, basically giving you a free extra p state to play with.(not that TC was good for anything) I haven't noticed any negative impacts from this, though.
If you want some better performance in certain applications that just don't scale linearly with the clockspeed of a Phenom II, sometimes increasing the northbridge(not hypertransport) speed helps. It improves L3 cache and memory response times.
---
mmarkster posted...
Even though the game runs in 720p, it produces another 480p stream for the New Controller. That's like 1200p!
#7PlaystionGod(Topic Creator)Posted 6/17/2012 1:34:27 PM
So I just overclocked my AMD Phenom to 3.7GHz. My temps are after running prime95 for about 5 minutes with the maximum stress on the cpu was about 66 degrees Celsius. Is this normal for this cpu? I was also running the stability test in AMD Overdrive and it looks stable after 10 minutes of that. I am also using an Hyper 212 Evo
---
Amazing YouTuber!
#8godplaysSNESPosted 6/17/2012 1:38:58 PM
Hasn't really kept up with overclocking for quite some time, is it recommended to disable power saving options and such?
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
Won't get Battlefield 3 until all DLC is included
#9PlaystionGod(Topic Creator)Posted 6/17/2012 1:54:07 PM
Whats the hottest my processor should get to?
---
Amazing YouTuber!
#10godplaysSNESPosted 6/17/2012 1:56:35 PM
I think the official word is 62 celsius for the Phenom II CPUs
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
Won't get Battlefield 3 until all DLC is included