This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Would I Miss Any of The "Steam Summer Sale" Deals?

#21lightpeakPosted 6/17/2012 8:08:34 PM
razid posted...
Not sure if this has been discussed or not, didn't bother reading the entire thing, but if you're going to another country you may not be able to buy anything. I went to Australia last summer and tried to get some steam games but it never worked.

In case you have to use a proxy or VPN bypass. So yeah, basically if you are going overseas, buying from Steam with your local credit card or Paypal would not work simply because Steam payment system crosschecks your IP and billing address with those from the region you are currently connecting from.
#22tigerex777Posted 6/17/2012 8:10:04 PM
Not sure if this has been discussed or not, didn't bother reading the entire thing, but if you're going to another country you may not be able to buy anything. I went to Australia last summer and tried to get some steam games but it never worked.

There might be a region lock depending in which country you go to. Even if you use your cell phone, in this case you already mentioned you didn't have one, you wouldn't be able to buy if it was region locked because of that country's IP. First I would check which country you're going first and see if steam is region locked for that country.
---
i5 760 @ 3.8ghz / 4GB DDR3 Ripjaws / GTX 460 SLI @ 800/2000 / Cooler Master GX 750W PSU / Cooler Master Advance II case / Acer 22 1680x1050 / Windows 7 64
#23Zerol09Posted 6/17/2012 8:19:59 PM
If your billing details does not match your credit payment like mentioned Steam will not allow you to checkout, you cannot use your residential address while in another country and do any form of payment due to different IP.

You have to either use a proxy or VPN or both to make the purchase.
#24EpicKingdom_(Topic Creator)Posted 6/17/2012 8:27:59 PM
Zerol09 posted...
If your billing details does not match your credit payment like mentioned Steam will not allow you to checkout, you cannot use your residential address while in another country and do any form of payment due to different IP.

I pay w/ steam wallet credit & I'm only going to a different state in the U.S.
---
AMD Phenom II X2 565 Dual Core 3.4 BE | Corsair Vengeance 8GB | Biostar Radeon HD5770 1GB | Msi 760GM-P23(FX) AM3+| Antec 300 Mini-T | XFX PRO650W CE | 500GB |
#25Zerol09Posted 6/17/2012 8:34:49 PM
EpicKingdom_ posted...
Zerol09 posted...

That should not be a problem if any. And pretty much any mobile device with web surfing capability like iPhone, iPad or modern Android devices shouldn't cause any trouble if you are purchasing directly via the Steam web store.

There is also this: http://store.steampowered.com/mobile
#26tigerex777Posted 6/17/2012 8:38:44 PM
Zerol09 posted...

Unless you're going to some mountain with no internet at all, I don't know why you're so worried. Since you're not going to a different country, just find an internet connection and a computer and buy from their website. We live in an era where I can buy steam games with my phone on the crapper, and this is only in the US, where technologically is really behind some Asian countries and some European countries. I know in Korea people have been watching tv shows for years and they can use their cell phones for public transportation because they have scanners on them that scan your phone device; we're still years for such things to happen in this country. But buying some steam games should not be a difficult task if you're not going to the mountains or something.
---
i5 760 @ 3.8ghz / 4GB DDR3 Ripjaws / GTX 460 SLI @ 800/2000 / Cooler Master GX 750W PSU / Cooler Master Advance II case / Acer 22 1680x1050 / Windows 7 64
#27KillerTrufflePosted 6/17/2012 8:46:22 PM
One other thing to make it more fun - if you have the latest version of Steam at home, and if you leave your computer on (not saying I recommend this while you're away, but hey...), the newest Steam client lets you actually remotely start downloads to your computer. So you could buy a game from your Kindle or whatever, and tell your home Steam client to start downloading it. That way, your games should be downloaded and ready to play when you return. heh
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23