This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

GTX 260 temp check (70c)

#1LioncourtxPosted 6/17/2012 7:56:31 PM
Playing games such as Skyrim and Diablo put my graphics card under full load, while they run with stability and smoothness, they tend to heat it up to around 70-75c. This seems hot to me, compared to other games that don't put it under such stress.
Are these temperatures okay for this card and my overall system?
#2Mogu_MoguPosted 6/17/2012 7:59:15 PM
Yeah, that is pretty weird. I'm not going to bother plugging in my old 260 but when I was running it I don't remember the temperature going above 55c at all during anything. Not even during furmark. Nor even during furmark while overclocked.

Consider dusting it out? Or maybe Skyrim and Diablo just does specific things to the video card; admittedly, I've never played those games on it.
---
In the chronicles of my life
there is a legend in which I change 'history' into 'herstory'.
#3thaandieselPosted 6/17/2012 8:02:19 PM
for the vast majority of gpu's, 90 is my "i think something is wrong" limit, especially older gpu's. that temp sounds perfectly fine unless its watercooled. my gtx470 runs around 86c for reference, which is a high but still normal temps.
---
<- Q9550@3.3 - G31M - Hyper 212+ - 4 gig 1066 - GTX 470 650mhz - xfi 5.1 usb - turtle beach HPA2 true 5.1 - 64 gig Mushkin SSD ->
#4Mogu_MoguPosted 6/17/2012 8:04:44 PM
Well, there's that and there's that GPUs of a certain model tend to hit certain temperature sets.

The GTX 470 tends to hit 93c in some or 86c in others. In general it'll never go above 94c.
Lucky for you mines would often hit 93c.

The 260 as far as I know it should never be going over 60c unless something was wrong with its operation.
---
In the chronicles of my life
there is a legend in which I change 'history' into 'herstory'.
#5DarkZV2BetaPosted 6/17/2012 8:14:13 PM
Seems fine to me. 70 isn't that bad at all.
---
mmarkster posted...
Even though the game runs in 720p, it produces another 480p stream for the New Controller. That's like 1200p!
#6jake-sfPosted 6/17/2012 8:28:51 PM
Mine is hitting in the 70s at its peak with good air current in the case but nothing else.

Do you have any sort of FPS cap on those games? (or VSync on).

For example, I play Doom with the ZDoom source port. If I don't have a FPS cap, it'll run as fast as it can, reaching thousands of FPS, and putting my cards at 70+ degrees as well as heating up my processor.

Put VSync on and oh my gosh, it barely goes up 1-2 degrees. It might not be your issue, but its something I find important to know. Always put a FPS cap on games you run too well, though recent games generally cap it naturally.

Regardless of anything, don't worry about that temperature.
---
http://sfjake.zxq.net/