This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Does installing Windows on an SSD improve anything other than boot times?

#1EternalNetherPosted 6/18/2012 10:33:53 PM
I inherited a 64GB SSD from a friend. I was going to install Windows 7 (64bit) on it, but before I waste space for it, does anything aside from the boot up and shut down time get improved? I almost never turn off my computer unless it's for updates or to be worked on so I wouldn't benefit much from that.
---
Diablo III sold 6.3 million copies in its first week. You can bet your ass they're going to bring the game to consoles.
#2MyDogSkipPosted 6/18/2012 10:35:45 PM
Loading any program or file on the SSD will be much faster than on a regular HDD.
---
Don't trust the smiling penguin!
http://backloggery.com/mydogskip93
#3EternalNether(Topic Creator)Posted 6/18/2012 10:46:03 PM
MyDogSkip posted...
Loading any program or file on the SSD will be much faster than on a regular HDD.

Yes, which is why I was considering not putting Windows on it at all as it would waste 30GB of space. However, are there any other actual benefits for Windows itself? Does putting the OS on there improve file copying/pasting (important to me when I'm modding games and end up copy/pasting 5GB folders into two different places) or anything else along those lines? Maybe system defragmentations, virus scans, etc?
---
Diablo III sold 6.3 million copies in its first week. You can bet your ass they're going to bring the game to consoles.
#4xAlucardraculAxPosted 6/18/2012 10:56:08 PM
Well think about it, a normal HDD does a file copy/paste at a rate of around 50-120MB/s an SSD drive has around 400-500MB/s.

Also, an SSD does not get fragmented like an HDD.
---
Death Is In The Air!
#5thaandieselPosted 6/18/2012 11:09:43 PM
even when programs crash, and you have to cnt-alt-dlt, you can do that so quickly. it improves speed on all windows functions but a few that you dont even notice, not just boot or program startup. you can alt+f4 something, and before you can take a breath, its closed and you opened another program/game. you can be shooting a jet in BF3, alt-F4, and start Skyrim and be swinging a sword 10 seconds later, no lie!

and another thing, its not the first time you fire up a program that is the charm, besides the fact it moves that much faster, it is then actually cache'd, and then you get even quicker startups.
---
<- Q9550@3.3 - G31M - Hyper 212+ - 4 gig 1066 - GTX 470 650mhz - xfi 5.1 usb - turtle beach HPA2 true 5.1 - 64 gig Mushkin SSD ->
#6EternalNether(Topic Creator)Posted 6/18/2012 11:18:41 PM
Wow! Okay so OS on the SSD it is then. Just have to wait on my GPU to get here tomorrow (I had to RMA it, sadly) and then I plan to do a full reformat.
---