This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Ethernet cable questions!

#1schadowPosted 6/20/2012 5:58:36 AM
I have a 50/70 connection. Can this be seen as a "combined" 120 mbps of traffic, thus being potentially bottlenecked by a 100 mbps cable, if I attempt to max my bandwidth?

Also, there's nothing wrong with dragging the cable 5 meters, along a TV antenna cable, right? They should both be adequately shielded?
---
Soundcloud.com/komodovaran
My humble hobby project. Comment/rate if you have the spare time!
#2ShubPosted 6/20/2012 6:00:31 AM
Well, what kind of cable is it? If it's Cat 5e, it can handle more than 100 Mbps, however if your networking equipment only supports 100 Mbps, that's going to be a potential bottleneck.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#3ElementalWindPosted 6/20/2012 6:09:36 AM
Also, there's nothing wrong with dragging the cable 5 meters, along a TV antenna cable, right? They should both be adequately shielded?
What kind of cable are you running to the TV antenna? Coax should be fine just about anywhere. I've heard TV twinlead feedlines can be a bit finicky next to other conductive objects, but that's from weak signal radio operators, so you'll probably be fine just watching broadcast TV.
---
Now, if we'd just use postfix syntax like sensible people, this wouldn't even be an issue. -scudobuio
#4schadow(Topic Creator)Posted 6/20/2012 6:30:06 AM
TV cable is just plain old coax.

I have no idea if the modem supports gigabit though. It's built into the socket/wall. I probably won't ever cap my bandwidth at 120 mbps. Especially not with a 50 GB-over-last-30-days cap :P I was just curious about the bandwidth thing.

But I'll order a cat5 cable right away.
---
#5ShubPosted 6/20/2012 6:34:06 AM
Cat 5e, not Cat 5.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#6schadow(Topic Creator)Posted 6/20/2012 6:46:32 AM
UTP or STP? Does it matter at all, over 5 meters?
---
#7ShubPosted 6/20/2012 6:59:43 AM
UTP really should be fine. It doesn't have so much to do with distance as it does with environment. Chances are your existing cables are already unshielded, so if you haven't had any issues, getting another unshielded cable shouldn't be an issue either.
---
-What is best in life?
#8Lonestar2000Posted 6/20/2012 7:21:09 AM
Well, what kind of cable is it? If it's Cat 5e, it can handle more than 100 Mbps, however if your networking equipment only supports 100 Mbps, that's going to be a potential bottleneck.

No its not. The cable is 100 Mbps both ways so there is no bottleneck.
---
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room.
Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335
#9FishingboyPosted 6/20/2012 10:45:59 AM
Why not go with Cat6?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10232
---
Welcome to GameFAQs, the largest 90s styled forum with only a few modern features that nobody asked for. ~bangvang
#10schadow(Topic Creator)Posted 6/20/2012 12:09:56 PM
Fishingboy posted...
Why not go with Cat6?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10232

Because it costs me a few more coins than Cat5, and I could buy food for a whole day for those few more coins.

And I'm not from the US, so I don't want to wait 2 weeks for a cable.
---