This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How long do/have your PCs normally lasted?

#1LinkinLawgPosted 6/24/2012 5:50:40 PM
How long have your PCs normally lasted to the point where it couldn't be upgraded any further or technology evolved too much to make your PC unusable for advanced tasks?

I built a desktop around 2005, but dual core CPUs and PCI-e GPU's started to dominate the market about a year or 2 later making that desktop unable to play games after that point and where supported hardware wasn't being produced much more. Probably just bad timing on that PC.

I had a laptop which I got for 2.5 years, but wasn't designed for gaming

Now I just got a new laptop about 2 weeks ago, and actually contains a GPU and runs most games at a decent framerate, plus I also own a PS3 for gaming.

How long do you normally get out of your PC?
---
PSN: LinkinLawg
#2unsolidsnakePosted 6/24/2012 5:55:51 PM
Depends what matters to you I guess... I like to upgrade my machine every few months, I get something new and better for it. In the last year I've upgraded the GPU, CPU Cooler, RAM, PSU, and I just ordered a new case that I've really been wanting. My next step will be the move from AMD to Intel, but I'm looking at a few hundred for that upgrade at least with CPU/Mobo, and possible need to purchase windows again.
---
http://speedtest.net/result/1396638311.png
#3castrejon04Posted 6/24/2012 6:22:24 PM
My old desktop lasted a decade with just upgrading to 64 MB GPU and later upgrade 128 MB GPU. I also added a DVD-Burner and USB 2.0. It was an HP with Pentium 4 at 1.3 Ghz with 512 RAM. Went through a lot of crap over the years with several Windows 2000 and XP re-installs. Having a cheap computer for a long help learn through experience on how to run Windows properly, how to deal with viruses and all that crap.
---
"Don't let it end like this...Tell them I said something." Pancho Villa
#4r7gerrabbitPosted 6/24/2012 6:47:09 PM
My PC will be 4 years old this summer.

Still runs every single game on at least medium. Most games on high. I haven't played any DX11 games though, and there are no DX11 games coming down the pipeline that interests me.

I won't be upgrading anything until the GTX700 series is out so I can get a GTX680 for cheap.
---
http://i.imgur.com/Mqy7G.gif
#5jake-sfPosted 6/24/2012 6:58:09 PM
Last summer is literally the first time I bought a computer that was actually upgradable.

All others were dated even the day I bought them.

And even then they easily lasted 4+ years for -my- needs.

Can't imagine how long this last one is going to last. Might still be kicking around with it until 2020.
---
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#6Undead587Posted 6/24/2012 7:00:01 PM
Last summer is literally the first time I bought a computer that was actually upgradable.

All others were dated even the day I bought them.

And even then they easily lasted 4+ years for -my- needs.

Can't imagine how long this last one is going to last. Might still be kicking around with it until 2020.

I've always been in a similar position up until my current system. The price was around twice as high as I normally pay, but I think it should last a good 3 years or so compared to my normal 2 years.
#7KidInTheHallPosted 6/24/2012 7:03:31 PM
My XPS m1530 just went out after 4 years, I was gonna junk it but I forgot my work is now offering a protection plan service to TV's, Laptops, Computers etc so I can get it repaired for just $50.
---
RIP - Babygirl 11/2002- 4/24/2012
i5-3570k | ASRock Z77 Extreme6 | EVGA 560Ti 448 Classified x2 SLI | 16GB G.Skill Ares | Corsair 600T White | 212 EVO
#8DarkZV2BetaPosted 6/24/2012 7:07:00 PM(edited)
Around 5-8 years.
---
Gamers: We want better performance in Dark Souls! PC Port plx!
FromSoft: So you want framerate issues on PC?! OK!
#9KillerTrufflePosted 6/24/2012 7:08:15 PM
How long have your PCs normally lasted to the point where it couldn't be upgraded any further or technology evolved too much to make your PC unusable for advanced tasks?

I built a desktop around 2005, but dual core CPUs and PCI-e GPU's started to dominate the market about a year or 2 later making that desktop unable to play games after that point and where supported hardware wasn't being produced much more. Probably just bad timing on that PC.

I had a laptop which I got for 2.5 years, but wasn't designed for gaming

Now I just got a new laptop about 2 weeks ago, and actually contains a GPU and runs most games at a decent framerate, plus I also own a PS3 for gaming.

How long do you normally get out of your PC?

I am still keeping my old PC from 1998 upgraded. I have never once bought a whole new PC. I expect this can go on indefinitely, or until computers make such a dramatic jump that it renders all current x86-style hardware obsolete.

I started with a Pentium 90, 4MB RAM, onboard video. I'm up to a i5 2500k, 8GB RAM, GTX 560 ti, dual monitors, etc. It has been a steady stream of upgrades the entire way, with the biggest upgrade batch being motherboard/CPU/RAM/GPU at a time when GPU couldn't carry over. I still kept the sound card, all drives, case, PSU, and peripherals at that time. I've made sure I always have a PSU that's ahead of what I have so I have room to upgrade down the road without having to get a PSU right then again.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#10JonWood007Posted 6/24/2012 7:17:52 PM(edited)
Compaq: Dec 1999 - Summer 2002 (broke)
Emachines: Summer 2002 - Early 2005 (broke)
HP: Early 2005 - June 2010 (still worked, replaced with current PC, up in attic somewhere)
EcollegePC: June 2010 - ? (still working, 2 years old)
HP Laptop: December 2010 - December 2011 (still works, just replaced with my Gateway, since it was literally like 8x more powerful in terms of games)
Gateway laptop: December 2011 - ? (still using it, obviously)

EDIT: I thought you meant longevity.

Based on system requirements, 4-5 years.

My HP from 2005 was outdated from the getgo, and I had to get an AGP card for it and DDR1 RAM in 2008. My current PC has already ended its upgradability CPU wise...GPU wise...it can be replaced until pcie is no longer valid.

As for upgrade paths to CPUs...normally expect 2 years or so. Most move onto new sockets every 2 years, give or take. As for the viability of a computer...normally 4-5 years/generations.

A 2007 era PC (core 2 duo, 8000 series/HD 3000 series GPU) is more or less minimum requirements right now.

I know my athlon XP, which is from 2003, struggled to run games from 2006 and on. So that only lasted 3 years in practical terms. However, currently, 5 year old CPUs are sufficient, and you might be able to get away with 6 year old ones.

The hardware in my desktop is 2 years old (possibly closer to 3 if you count release dates in 2009), and it still runs stuff on high.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 5850 | 1 TB HD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HD | W7 | 1366x768