This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What the hell?

#1Louisville15Posted 6/30/2012 12:46:44 PM(edited)
So I was looking at getting a CD from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004IWQAIM/ref=dm_dp_cdp?ie=UTF8&s=music

And noticed this:

CD-R Note: This product is manufactured on demand when ordered from Amazon.com.

CD-Rs and DVD-Rs (the "R" stands for "recordable") look like the discs you're used to and offer the same audio and image quality. This recordable media is used to manufacture titles on demand, as fully authorized by the content provider.

Through manufacturing on demand, CreateSpace, part of the Amazon.com group of companies, enables Amazon.com to offer music and video content that might not otherwise be available. Each disc comes fully packaged, with artwork, in a standard jewel case for audio and an Amaray case for video, although for reissued products the artwork may differ from the original.

CreateSpace works with many of the leading music labels, television networks, film studios, and other distributors to make these titles available to Amazon.com customers. All products are manufactured from original source materials (e.g., for audio products, uncompressed CD-quality audio).

By eliminating inventory, waste, and inefficiencies in the distribution system, on-demand manufacturing provides the added benefit of helping preserve the environment.

When shopping, you'll see CD-R or DVD-R on the product detail page for such products. Amazon.com's standard return policy applies to these purchases.

So... they just burn the songs to a CD and mail it to me? wut? What kind of bootleg establishment is this?
---
i7 930 @ 3.6 | 2x MSI GTX 560Ti 2GB Twin Frozr II | EVGA E758 | 6GB G.Skill Ripjaws | Windows 7 64bit | OCZ ZX1250 | 1TB WD Caviar Black | AW2310 | Antec 1200
#2spardasiegPosted 6/30/2012 12:47:45 PM
"This recordable media is used to manufacture titles on demand, as fully authorized by the content provider."

If true its fine really.
---
My Photography and such: http://insidemyeyes.aminus3.com/ (I take pictures of unsuspecting people and inanimate objects for funsies mostly.)
#3kidersxPosted 6/30/2012 12:48:08 PM
Louisville15 posted...

And noticed this:

CD-Rs and DVD-Rs (the "R" stands for "recordable") look like the discs you're used to and offer the same audio and image quality. This recordable media is used to manufacture titles on demand, as fully authorized by the content provider.

Through manufacturing on demand, CreateSpace, part of the Amazon.com group of companies, enables Amazon.com to offer music and video content that might not otherwise be available. Each disc comes fully packaged, with artwork, in a standard jewel case for audio and an Amaray case for video, although for reissued products the artwork may differ from the original.

CreateSpace works with many of the leading music labels, television networks, film studios, and other distributors to make these titles available to Amazon.com customers. All products are manufactured from original source materials (e.g., for audio products, uncompressed CD-quality audio).

By eliminating inventory, waste, and inefficiencies in the distribution system, on-demand manufacturing provides the added benefit of helping preserve the environment.

When shopping, you'll see CD-R or DVD-R on the product detail page for such products. Amazon.com's standard return policy applies to these purchases.

So... they just burn the songs to a CD and mail it to me? wut? What kind of bootleg establishment is this?

"CreateSpace works with many of the leading music labels, television networks, film studios, and other distributors to make these titles available to Amazon.com customers. All products are manufactured from original source materials (e.g., for audio products, uncompressed CD-quality audio)."

/thread
---
i5 2500K | 212 Evo | HD6870 | XMS3 16GB 1600MHz | HAF 912 | EA650 650w | 2TB 7200rpm Barracuda | GA-Z77-UD3H | 21.5" 1080p
#4Xeeh_BitzPosted 6/30/2012 12:48:25 PM
Louisville15 posted...

And noticed this:

I never heard of it, to take a guess from what I read it's only for things that are really not actively being published anymore. Such as Rush albums. Are you buying teh Rush?
---
#5Louisville15(Topic Creator)Posted 6/30/2012 12:48:59 PM
spardasieg posted...
"This recordable media is used to manufacture titles on demand, as fully authorized by the content provider."

If true its fine really.

Still...

this is cheap as hell and makes me just want to pirate the damn thing.

NOTE: I DO NOT APPROVE OF PIRACY AND PLEASE DO NOT DISCUSS IT IN THIS TOPIC BECAUSE I DON'T PIRATE AND NEITHER SHOULD YOU
---
i7 930 @ 3.6 | 2x MSI GTX 560Ti 2GB Twin Frozr II | EVGA E758 | 6GB G.Skill Ripjaws | Windows 7 64bit | OCZ ZX1250 | 1TB WD Caviar Black | AW2310 | Antec 1200
#6SmoboHashPosted 6/30/2012 12:51:02 PM
I don't see what's wrong with this. It's legal, you get the same product, and your money ends up in the same place.

That said, amazon's MP3 service is great.
#7Lemur_HPosted 6/30/2012 1:02:48 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#8gastamanPosted 6/30/2012 1:23:49 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#9Lemur_HPosted 6/30/2012 1:30:14 PM
Brb. FBI at my door.
---
2500K - 560 Ti 448 CLASSIFIED ULTRA SLI - 8GB DDR3 - M4 128GB SSD - Alienware OptX AW2310
#10gastamanPosted 6/30/2012 1:31:50 PM
Is it Skully and Mulder???
---
//Intel// Core i7 2600k @ 4.0 //Gigabyte// Z68X-UD7-B3 //MSI// 3x GTX 580 Lightning SLi
//Corsair// 650D / H100 / 120 GB Force 3 / 12 GB Dominator / AX1200