This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Today starts the ISP's pirate hunt.

#91SeanW1986Posted 7/1/2012 12:35:52 PM(edited)
So for those of us in the USA with Comcast or another affected service...is there any solution for this? Other than paying a monthly fee for a VPN (and stopping torrents...the obvious solution).

I don't torrent constantly or seed...I am more worried about others living in my house who download who knows what. Especially since the internet service is in my name.
#92MarioLuigi10Posted 7/1/2012 12:36:33 PM
So for those of us in the USA with Comcast or another affected service...is there any solution for this? Other than paying a monthly fee for a VPN (and stopping torrents...the obvious solution).

I don't torrent constantly or seed...I am more worried about others living in my house who download who knows what. Especially since the internet service is in my name.

i would like to know this too...
---
Steam/PSN: BTY2468
Currently Playing: Bioshock, Painkiller Black, Gmod, RedDead Redemption... Also doing the INSANITY Workout... woot
#93StarksPosted 7/1/2012 12:38:17 PM
You can't tie a person to an IP.

Haven't the courts been clear about this?
---
i7-2630QM | 8GB | 500GB | GT 555M | Advanced-N | 1080p Matte | Linux 3.5
http://i.minus.com/iktPPfaUF252T.jpg
#94JKatarnPosted 7/1/2012 12:38:22 PM
SeanW1986 posted...

Simple...pay for your content, and tell those using your internet service, if they'd like to continue, they'll have to stop downloading content they don't own.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 460 Superclocked
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#95su27ChaosPosted 7/1/2012 12:50:39 PM
JKatarn posted...
SeanW1986 posted...

Simple...pay for your content, and tell those using your internet service, if they'd like to continue, they'll have to stop downloading content they don't own.

How is this possible when this type news isn't even out into public. This is the just source from dslreports and it's a topic that got locked. I don't see why they do this. Are they really desperate for lawsuit money?
---
People of China should realize that they outnumber their own government. Don't be afraid to take action.
#96FadesofblackPosted 7/1/2012 12:52:13 PM
Starks posted...

Won't stop them from shutting off a problematic account now will it. It's not even a law just a agreement if that line is used to pirate they're gonna be more anal. Thus why I use a VPN as in my opinion what I do with my line is no ones business but my own.
#97JustPlainEvilPosted 7/1/2012 12:54:02 PM
And people laugh at me when I tell them I use Netflix/Steam/Spotify.

I'm sorry but I'd rather be safe than sorry.
---
Touhou/MLP/Animu/Gaming Fan. PSN: MortaLPortaL SteamID:MortaLPortaL_
Phenom II X4 965, Sapphire HD6850, 8GB Gskill, BioStar A880G+, Seasonic S12II, W7.
#98betatechPosted 7/1/2012 1:14:23 PM
So this whole plan is basically going to end up like the plans they have in the uk then, must say, i wonder how long before they go beyond p2p even with the obvious privacy issues.

Starks posted...
From: chris1001 the sequel | Posted: 7/1/2012 1:12:03 PM | #066
Let's look at MS Office for example. It's not cheap. but pretty much everyone uses it. How about releasing ad ad-supported of it for for a severely reduced price, with the option to upgrade latter by paying the difference.

Office Starter?

They had an ad supported version for oems but they recently announced that theyre going back to trials.
---
Gigabyte P45-DS3, Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz, 4GB RAM, Ati Radeon 5770 1GB, CM 690 II. Win7 x64.
#99JustPlainEvilPosted 7/1/2012 1:15:39 PM
betatech posted...
So this whole plan is basically going to end up like the plans they have in the uk then, must say, i wonder how long before they go beyond p2p even with the obvious privacy issues.

Starks posted...
From: chris1001 the sequel | Posted: 7/1/2012 1:12:03 PM | #066
Let's look at MS Office for example. It's not cheap. but pretty much everyone uses it. How about releasing ad ad-supported of it for for a severely reduced price, with the option to upgrade latter by paying the difference.

Office Starter?

They had an ad supported version for oems but they recently announced that theyre going back to trials.

Openoffice/Libreoffice>MS Office.

At least in my opinion.
---
Touhou/MLP/Animu/Gaming Fan. PSN: MortaLPortaL SteamID:MortaLPortaL_
Phenom II X4 965, Sapphire HD6850, 8GB Gskill, BioStar A880G+, Seasonic S12II, W7.
#100JKatarnPosted 7/1/2012 1:17:34 PM
Fadesofblack posted...
Starks posted...

Won't stop them from shutting off a problematic account now will it. It's not even a law just a agreement if that line is used to pirate they're gonna be more anal. Thus why I use a VPN as in my opinion what I do with my line is no ones business but my own.

Well, it's not your line, you lease it and pay your DSL/Cable etc. for the right to use their bandwidth, and sign a user agreement, so if they don't like what you're doing with said line, they are free to cut you off.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 460 Superclocked
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES