This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

5.1 Surround??

#31mcrsnumber1(Topic Creator)Posted 7/2/2012 12:02:15 PM
El Magnifico posted...
Did you do the audio diagnostic test to make sure that it's actually outputting in surround sound? Did you check the game's audio settings to make sure that it's outputting to surround sound as well?

Yes I did. And sound comes out individually from it.
#32KillerTrufflePosted 7/2/2012 12:06:26 PM
So you confirmed in the audio test that each discrete speaker works as it should in surround sound?

If that's the case, I can only blame the game's sound settings. Many games will default their settings to stereo, and you'll have to change them to surround sound in the game options.

Also keep in mind that not all games support surround sound, and of those that do, some do it better than others.

Try throwing a DVD movie in the computer - X-Men works great - and make sure your player software is set up for surround sound. If you get surround sound there (and you'll know if you do - X-Men's surround is very obvious), it's totally just got to be the games you're playing, either the settings aren't right, or it's not supported.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#33mcrsnumber1(Topic Creator)Posted 7/2/2012 12:06:46 PM
arleas posted...
El Magnifico posted...
I haven't used surround sound with the PC for a really long time, but I think the sound card software or Windows audio configuration had to be set up to output to a 5.1 speaker setup, otherwise it would default to stereo. Not sure if you already checked that out.

I have, but even then I feel like its stereo. D:

Are you sure you're listening to a 5.1 sound source?

You can test each speaker to see that it plays when the appropriate channel is supposed to play through windows. If you hear a sound coming from each speaker in turn then that means it's working. If you think you're hearing 2.1 stereo and not 5.1 stereo then maybe you ARE and the source isn't 5.1 dolby or whatever...

Otherwise, you bought the receiver, you should have a manual.... READ IT.

actually... here:
http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201207/20120702191603510/02433A_HT-E4500_ZA_CMS_03_0702.pdf

read that. But it looks like there's no way other than using the digital audio input connection since you only have one hdmi port.

This is what the back of his setup looks like:
http://i.imgur.com/jxh04.jpg

Thanks a lot, I'll try this!

Will let you know if if this works.

and yes my graphics card GTX580 has only one output mini HDMI and 2 DVI's.
#34AllHailTheDead6Posted 7/2/2012 12:10:00 PM
he might as well just try to plug into that hdmi out, just get a hdmi to mini hdmi for your video card. It should work since your trying to output the sound to your pc

and if that doesnt work then spend like 50-100 bucks on a real receiver >_>
---
PSN AllHailTheDead0
#35mcrsnumber1(Topic Creator)Posted 7/2/2012 12:10:28 PM
AllHailTheDead6 posted...
Sletlite posted...
I have the same setup and almost the same graphics card as you. HERE IS WHAT YOU NEED TO DO:

get this cable, plug the MINI HDMI side into your GTX 580, and the other side of the cable into your audio receiver

http://www.amazon.com/Gold-Plated-HDMI-Mini-cable/dp/B00104XCVO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341247543&sr=8-1&keywords=mini+hdmi+to+hdmi

THEN you want a cable like this, plug the DVI side into your GTX 580 and then the HDMI into your TV..

http://www.amazon.com/DVI-HDMI-Cable-6ft-Male-Male/dp/B0002CZHN6/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1341247594&sr=1-2&keywords=DVI+to+hdmi+cable

then go into windows' screen resolution settings and change the settings to look like this:
http://i.imgur.com/AC1cM.png

your GTX 580 thinks the receiver is another monitor. Everything should work but you need the required cables.

*you don't need to run your TV as an output on your receiver like these guys are saying.. you'll just end up buying more cables than you need to.

thank god someone gave real advice while i was gone

follow this and listen to no one else

Thanks Dude! I'll try this. and that a beast receiver!!! My receiver is little. I'll try and let yu know how it works. :D

Much appreciated from everyone!
#36KillerTrufflePosted 7/2/2012 12:11:28 PM
From: AllHailTheDead6 | Posted: 7/2/2012 12:10:00 PM | #034
he might as well just try to plug into that hdmi out, just get a hdmi to mini hdmi for your video card. It should work since your trying to output the sound to your pc

and if that doesnt work then spend like 50-100 bucks on a real receiver >_>

_
---
#37mcrsnumber1(Topic Creator)Posted 7/2/2012 12:38:45 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
So you confirmed in the audio test that each discrete speaker works as it should in surround sound?

If that's the case, I can only blame the game's sound settings. Many games will default their settings to stereo, and you'll have to change them to surround sound in the game options.

Also keep in mind that not all games support surround sound, and of those that do, some do it better than others.

Try throwing a DVD movie in the computer - X-Men works great - and make sure your player software is set up for surround sound. If you get surround sound there (and you'll know if you do - X-Men's surround is very obvious), it's totally just got to be the games you're playing, either the settings aren't right, or it's not supported.

Yea I tried that, each individual sound came off each spkr. I mean inside the ps3 audio settings. I left it at DD and DTS 5.1 and I can see a notably difference you know? And I did play a movie surround on the PC, and it didnt really feel surround at all.

Worst!! I perhaps may need to spend real money on a receiver. But first I'll try getting that HDMI to DVI output.

thanks!
#38mcrsnumber1(Topic Creator)Posted 7/2/2012 12:51:27 PM
mcrsnumber1 posted...
Sletlite posted...
I have the same setup and almost the same graphics card as you. HERE IS WHAT YOU NEED TO DO:

get this cable, plug the MINI HDMI side into your GTX 580, and the other side of the cable into your audio receiver

http://www.amazon.com/Gold-Plated-HDMI-Mini-cable/dp/B00104XCVO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341247543&sr=8-1&keywords=mini+hdmi+to+hdmi

THEN you want a cable like this, plug the DVI side into your GTX 580 and then the HDMI into your TV..

http://www.amazon.com/DVI-HDMI-Cable-6ft-Male-Male/dp/B0002CZHN6/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1341247594&sr=1-2&keywords=DVI+to+hdmi+cable

then go into windows' screen resolution settings and change the settings to look like this:
http://i.imgur.com/AC1cM.png

your GTX 580 thinks the receiver is another monitor. Everything should work but you need the required cables.

*you don't need to run your TV as an output on your receiver like these guys are saying.. you'll just end up buying more cables than you need to.

thank god someone gave real advice while i was gone

follow this and listen to no one else

Thanks Dude! I'll try this. and that a beast receiver!!! My receiver is little. I'll try and let yu know how it works. :D

Much appreciated from everyone!

ohh just incase.. Will the image be just as good. I mean DVI will it match to HDMI?
I know it doesnt transmit audio, but the image will be to 1920 x 1080 and just as impecable right??
#39TheOtherGuyXPosted 7/2/2012 1:30:17 PM
this guy is wrong

only need the hdmi from your receiver to your pc graphics card

How did you expect his tv/monitor to receive a video signal? With magic? Brilliant.

Regardless, it doesn't appear as if he can even do such a simple hookup as his Samsung only has one HDMI connection. So the DVI route will work fine. I hadn't realized his system only had one HDMI port, which is why he'd be better off grabbing a proper receiver. Denon comes to mind.

Also, don't send me private messages, you creepy thing. I can see this topic just fine. You talk like a 12 year old girl. This isn't Facebook. Shifts, commas and periods don't have cooties.
---
"The only thing that comes to a sleeping man is dreams."
#40KillerTrufflePosted 7/2/2012 1:36:42 PM
KillerTruffle posted...

Yea I tried that, each individual sound came off each spkr. I mean inside the ps3 audio settings. I left it at DD and DTS 5.1 and I can see a notably difference you know? And I did play a movie surround on the PC, and it didnt really feel surround at all.

Worst!! I perhaps may need to spend real money on a receiver. But first I'll try getting that HDMI to DVI output.

thanks!

Wait, you're saying you tested surround on the PS3? That doesn't help you at *all* with your PC problem.

Test surround sound on your PC. >_>

Go into your audio settings, make sure your speaker configuration is set to 5.1, and test it THERE. Testing the PS3's surround settings just shows that your PS3 is working properly with it - it has nothing to do with your PC. It sounds like your PC just isn't even set to output surround sound - like you haven't changed it from stereo settings.
---