This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Steam not allowing you to resell used games in the EU could be illegal

#61_LegendaryPunk_Posted 7/3/2012 9:06:40 PM
Kokuei05 posted...
From: Smackie_theFrog | Posted: 7/3/2012 11:10:14 AM | #003
End of Steam sales.

in EU.

Hopefully not. Valve was one of the first companies to recognize that digital distribution was here to stay, and by being early to market they capitalized on this. Hopefully their innovative mindset will help them realize that digital game trades are going to happen (b/c consumers want them to happen) and they'll figure out a way to work with us on this as well.
---
"But though you may find this slightly macabre,
We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job."
#62halomonkey1_3_5Posted 7/4/2012 10:44:41 AM(edited)
Kokuei05 posted...
From: Smackie_theFrog | Posted: 7/3/2012 11:10:14 AM | #003
End of Steam sales.

in EU.

Hopefully not. Valve was one of the first companies to recognize that digital distribution was here to stay, and by being early to market they capitalized on this. Hopefully their innovative mindset will help them realize that digital game trades are going to happen (b/c consumers want them to happen) and they'll figure out a way to work with us on this as well.

i'd hope for them to revoke a accounts license, then have it added to your Steam inventory, so you can trade it.

EDIT: could also have them give you X amount of credit and have it "deleted" completely, though i'd be interested to see how much they would give.
---
Billy Mays: July 20, 1958 - June 28, 2009
The Greatest
#63romsnbombsPosted 7/4/2012 10:58:01 AM
Finally, I can get rid of Far Cry 2, Mass Effect and Serious Sam. I'll take anything for those games, hell I'd even give them away to banish them from my Steam list
---
i5 2500k | Asus P8P67 M Pro | 4GB G.Skill | EVGA GTX 560 | 700W silent pro | CM Elite 340
#64DarkZV2BetaPosted 7/4/2012 11:13:30 AM
romsnbombs posted...
Finally, I can get rid of Far Cry 2, Mass Effect and Serious Sam. I'll take anything for those games, hell I'd even give them away to banish them from my Steam list

lol...
If this goes through, I'll take mass effect off your hands.
---
Gamers: We want better performance in Dark Souls! PC Port plx!
FromSoft: So you want framerate issues on PC?! OK!
#65NinjaOpsPosted 7/4/2012 9:25:50 PM
Like someone mentioned steam should just make a service where they pay you if you trade it in.
#66DarkZV2BetaPosted 7/5/2012 1:30:07 AM
And then everyone trades in and Valve goes bankrupt because people buy games for 99% off and then mass trade-in.
---
Gamers: We want better performance in Dark Souls! PC Port plx!
FromSoft: So you want framerate issues on PC?! OK!
#67DahlVaughnniPosted 7/5/2012 2:45:58 AM
Why would anyone WANT to make an attack against steam like this anyway? They do so much for us, give us RIDICULOUS deals, even sometimes make things totally free (I was able to get portal 1 and borderlands GOTY completely free because of steam).

If something like this passes, they are just going to think their customer base is full of ungrateful turds and stop giving us these deals. This is one of the ONLY reputable companies out there. You guys hate Gamestop so much? Bringing down steam like this is only going to make Gamestop stronger. We finally get ONE good service in the gaming industry and people tear it down.

It's no wonder all these companies want to take a crap on us at every turn. Look how we treat an actual good company when they come along.
---
Gamertag: Archlvt
3DS FC: 4296 3610 2207
#68ShadowSkill11Posted 7/5/2012 7:26:25 AM
I don't think the TC knows how long the appeals process takes...
#69PeteZaHutxPosted 7/5/2012 3:36:42 PM
good now i can sell games i rightfully own.
#70Eclypse9810Posted 7/5/2012 4:19:40 PM
Why would ANYONE at all buy a new copy over a used copy in DD?

This is the problem, there is no reason. You get everything that a new copy gets, with no wear on it at all. In retail, you trade in quality for a small discount which gives you a choice. There will be no choice if this ruling holds up, most of the people will buy a used game, play it for a few days, and then sell it to someone else, etc. Developers will see nothing, and anyone to provides a DD version of a game will receive a pitiful return on their game.

Only choice will be to remove DD from EU, as far as I see.
---
Have you had the dream again? A black goat with seven eyes that watches from the outside.