This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Cooling fan question

#1Whos_that_guyPosted 7/3/2012 1:12:54 PM
The environment I use my laptop in is pretty dusty (Afghanistan, if anyone here knows about moondust). I recently bought a cooling fan pad to help cool my laptop down when playing games, but I wonder if I'm doing more harm than good with all the extra dust being sucked into the computer. When I take the laptop off the pad, you can see dust buildup of the fan's frame.

Am I hurting or helping here?
#2SzymaaPosted 7/3/2012 1:14:11 PM
Dust + Electronics = Bad

Perhaps you could fashion a filter of some kind to use with the pad (or see if somebody out there sells such a thing)
---
~Bow chicka bow wow~
I survived ApocalyPS3 & ApocalyPS3 2: Among Thieves
#3Whos_that_guy(Topic Creator)Posted 7/3/2012 1:15:37 PM
Hmm good idea, I'll see what I can find lying around here. Maybe like cut up an old t shirt or something you think?
#4Lonestar2000Posted 7/3/2012 1:21:23 PM
Hmm good idea, I'll see what I can find lying around here. Maybe like cut up an old t shirt or something you think?

Cheese cloth or tights could work.
---
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room.
Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335
#5link510Posted 7/3/2012 3:54:32 PM
I've heard of people using tights as cheap improve dust filters, but they're stretchy and not in nice flat sheets, so they're rather hard to work with. But it would probably be better than a tshirt (a tshirt would block a lot of air)
#6Frisco557Posted 7/3/2012 4:11:43 PM
Lonestar2000 posted...

Cheese cloth or tights could work.

These are good options. Baja racers have similar issues in some parts and that's what they'll use for some of their radios.
---
Proud owner of an '88 Peugeot.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e14/frisco557/103_0809.jpg