This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Civilization IV concensus?

#1redsox_in_06Posted 7/4/2012 8:18:07 PM
I was looking for a strategy game and decided I might try Civ IV. I know this is one of the most popular PC series ever but I've never gotten into it because I always figured I wouldn't like it being turn-based. I know the game has great reviews, but how do you all feel about it? Also is the complete pack worth the extra money over vanilla Civilization IV?
---
psn: redsox3553
#2ff8ff8Posted 7/4/2012 8:24:30 PM
get the complete pack.
Actually...get this,

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008GW607G/ref=s9_al_bw_g367_ir012?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=18T1HVNAW3H0KN6945SQ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1375642602&pf_rd_i=979455011
---
So the last vid card i asked about was crap. Is this better? -chia
That's a motherboard.-lfcmaestro8
#3RawrimavikingPosted 7/4/2012 8:29:32 PM(edited)
It's my favourite strategy game and one of the most addictive, entertaining games ever made. I doubt there will be anyone here who will argue that it's not a game worth having. The complete pack is definitely worth it over vanilla but the game is great any way you get it.
---
Say what you like about Stephenie Meyer and the Twilight series but she will forever be remembered in literary history for the invention of Vampires.
#4LotionExplosionPosted 7/4/2012 8:29:37 PM
I enjoyed it a lot more than Civ 5.
---
A sea, where a fallen musician can only lament his failure.
#5ff8ff8Posted 7/4/2012 8:31:08 PM
4 > 5
---
So the last vid card i asked about was crap. Is this better? -chia
That's a motherboard.-lfcmaestro8
#6CultCryptikPosted 7/4/2012 8:35:38 PM
Why's IV better than V? Especially now that Gods and Kings is out? I'm just curious as I've only ever played I, II, and V.
#7MaKhaosPosted 7/4/2012 8:37:08 PM
I've heard good things about Fall From Heaven.
#8iscareu13Posted 7/4/2012 9:16:47 PM
Rawrimaviking posted...
It's my favourite strategy game and one of the most addictive, entertaining games ever made. I doubt there will be anyone here who will argue that it's not a game worth having. The complete pack is definitely worth it over vanilla but the game is great any way you get it.

I bought Civ 3 Gold when it was released... And I haven't played one since.

I love the concept of the game, I just can't stand doing turn based. I really wish there was a civilization game made in the RTS format.

Thus, the Civ series isn't for everyone. I know I will never drop a cent into that series again.
#9DawnshadowPosted 7/4/2012 9:22:23 PM(edited)
Learn vanilla Civ 4 first before you try Fall From Heaven. FFH is -much- more difficult than normal Civ 4-- the barbarians will eat your face-- and adds a lot of new complexities to the game, like its magic system. That said, it's very fun once you get the basics down; don't hesitate to try it once you learn Civ 4's mechanics.

I've only played about half an hour into Civ 5, so I can't say if it's better or worse yet-- I'm still learning the new gameplay-- but it changes a lot of elements from the old formula, and reactions were mixed-- it's hard to say how much was hidebound fans expecting nothing to change and how much was legitimate commentary. For example, military units can no longer be stacked in the same tile, changing tactics dating back to the DOS era.

That said, my favorite 'Civ' game of all time technically isn't Civ-- it's Alpha Centauri. Basically, there were a few years in the late 90s where Sid Meier, the guy who made Civ, lost the rights to the title. (Civ: Call to Power and I /think/ Civ 3 were made in this time period, which is why they're lower quality than the rest of the series.) So he made a game with similar gameplay-- it plays like a refined version of Civ 2-- that's about colonists on a planet orbiting Alpha Centuari, and it is amazing. Excellent flavor, an actual plot, great gameplay, and decent graphics for the time, although they're a bit dated now.

ETA: If you don't want that massive pack FF8 posted, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008GW57JS/ref=s9_al_bw_g367_ir010?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=0ZJSR7X9NQ2SBBME4XK8&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1375642602&pf_rd_i=979455011 might be better for you. :) It does include one extra game, but that's not too bad.
---
'Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the Character Battle.' --MetroidSuperfan on GlaDOS' loss.
The Topic Killer since 2001
#10spanishbobPosted 7/5/2012 2:28:36 AM
Dawnshadow posted...
That said, my favorite 'Civ' game of all time technically isn't Civ-- it's Alpha Centauri. Basically, there were a few years in the late 90s where Sid Meier, the guy who made Civ, lost the rights to the title. (Civ: Call to Power and I /think/ Civ 3 were made in this time period, which is why they're lower quality than the rest of the series.) So he made a game with similar gameplay-- it plays like a refined version of Civ 2-- that's about colonists on a planet orbiting Alpha Centuari, and it is amazing. Excellent flavor, an actual plot, great gameplay, and decent graphics for the time, although they're a bit dated now.

I second this. AC is one of the greatest games ever made. I'm going to dig it out and reinstall it tonight methinks!