This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How many months/years before a laptop battery fails to hold full charge?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How many months/years before a laptop battery fails to hold full charge?

User Info: UberLurker

UberLurker
4 years ago#11
It's the opposite for newer Li-ion batteries, IIRC. That's nickel-cadium.

EDIT
Here's a discussion I googled:
http://androidforums.com/htc-desire/203082-charging-practice-use-till-dead-whenever.html

Good to know, thank ye =)

I guess that explains why my 1 year old smartphone hasn't shown any battery fatigue even though I don't follow my own advice and keep it plugged in most of the time.

... and knowing is half the battle!

EDIT: LOL my phone is a Desire, and your link is to a Desire forum... what a fortuitous happenstance =D

User Info: KillerTruffle

KillerTruffle
4 years ago#12
Yeah, it *entirely* depends on the type of battery you're using. Older NiCad batteries developed memory and would eventually adapt to the lifespan you charged it at. If you constantly recharged at 50% discharge, NiCad batteries would end up "remembering" that and only giving you a maximum of 50% of the original battery life.

Li-ion (lithium-based) batteries don't develop that memory, and it actually *harms* them to fully discharge them. You want to keep a bit of charge at all times if you want to preserve the lifespan of the battery. I would still not keep it on a charger constantly tho. A lot of batteries are recommended to be stored at around 40% charge if you won't be using it for a long time, to maximize lifespan.
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How many months/years before a laptop battery fails to hold full charge?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived