This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How many months/years before a laptop battery fails to hold full charge?

#11UberLurkerPosted 7/10/2012 9:20:03 AM(edited)
It's the opposite for newer Li-ion batteries, IIRC. That's nickel-cadium.

EDIT
Here's a discussion I googled:
http://androidforums.com/htc-desire/203082-charging-practice-use-till-dead-whenever.html

Good to know, thank ye =)

I guess that explains why my 1 year old smartphone hasn't shown any battery fatigue even though I don't follow my own advice and keep it plugged in most of the time.

... and knowing is half the battle!

EDIT: LOL my phone is a Desire, and your link is to a Desire forum... what a fortuitous happenstance =D
#12KillerTrufflePosted 7/10/2012 9:20:56 AM
Yeah, it *entirely* depends on the type of battery you're using. Older NiCad batteries developed memory and would eventually adapt to the lifespan you charged it at. If you constantly recharged at 50% discharge, NiCad batteries would end up "remembering" that and only giving you a maximum of 50% of the original battery life.

Li-ion (lithium-based) batteries don't develop that memory, and it actually *harms* them to fully discharge them. You want to keep a bit of charge at all times if you want to preserve the lifespan of the battery. I would still not keep it on a charger constantly tho. A lot of batteries are recommended to be stored at around 40% charge if you won't be using it for a long time, to maximize lifespan.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23