This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I'm unsure about my purchase...buyers remorse.

#1160secondAssasinPosted 7/10/2012 7:39:15 PM
no, turtleneck. turtlenecking is a serious problem these days.
---
"There is nothing new under EA." - Fony
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2363251
#12DV8ingSourcesPosted 7/10/2012 7:50:33 PM
no, turtleneck. turtlenecking is a serious problem these days.

Yeah man. You get a turtleneck going on a day like today? Malfunction at the junction. Brains don't work, fans feel like they do nothing and it's just plain ugly.
---
Intel i7 860 OC'd @ 3.4 ghz, 8 gigs ddr3 1600, Nvidia GTX 460 1 gb, 60gb Vertex2 ssd, Win 7 64bit, 2 500gb raid 0 hdds at 7200 rpm, Blu-ray burner
#13Boge(Topic Creator)Posted 7/10/2012 8:25:23 PM
---
Punctuation goes a long way for comprehension.
#14DiehardFFv2Posted 7/10/2012 8:38:29 PM
A 480, eh? Who wants s'mores?
---
Intel i5 3570k @4.2 GHz/ Asrock Z77 Extreme4 / 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1866 / EVGA GTX 570 / Corsair Force GT 120GB / Seagate Barracuda 2TB
#15SmoboHashPosted 7/10/2012 8:51:18 PM
That was a good thread.
#16Boge(Topic Creator)Posted 7/13/2012 2:02:29 PM
So you guys weren't much help, but I thought I'd update here.

I just got this card today and put it in. It BARELY fit in my new case, an NZXT Vulcan. Yeah, I know what you're thinking,"A GTX480 in a micro ATX case!!?? His house is going to go up in flames!" Maybe.

The image is a bit greyish if you ask me. I had to adjust my contrast a bit, but no big deal.

With my 3.4ghz overclocked 4 core AMD Phenom II 720 Black Edition with a compass and a stock, and this thing which tells time, this card is just dandy!

Right off bat I'm seeing some great improvements. In SWTOR, I was getting about 13fps on the fleet with everything on. I'm now getting in the 50s. The Heaven Uningine benckmark, I was getting like 28fps in some areas (lowest fps), I'm not getting in the 50s. In Skyrim, with Ultra settings, I was getting around 25fps, including the shadow distance, now I'm getting 50s there as well.

Those are just my initial tests, but so far, it was a good upgrade and even if my 3.4ghz overclocked 4 core AMD Phenom II 720 Black edition with a compass and a stock, and this thing which tells time is "turtlenecking" (sickos) my system, I don't really care because this will do just what I wanted, get me another year or two out my my old hardware.

Oh, it does run hot. It's hit near 90c. I'm not worried about it since it's an EVGA, if anything happens to it, they're awesome. Also, I just might use their step up program in a couple of months to swap this out for something down the line...maybe a 660ti. We'll see.

It's not as loud as a lot of people describe it though. It's not bad at all in that department, if you ask me.
---
#17lazycomplifePosted 7/13/2012 2:08:25 PM(edited)
That's a good price on a good card. I recently got a GTX560ti and it feels great to be able to play PC games with graphics turned up again. You shouldn't feel bad for buying it. I have a worse processor than you (Phenom X4 9850 BE). I can still run BF3 on High-Ultra settings.

EDIT: I didn't read the update before posting, but I'm glad you're liking the card :)
#18Bazooka_PenguinPosted 7/13/2012 2:07:21 PM
Should've gotten a i3 2100
---
Deth Pen
http://i.imgur.com/eMXgU.gif
#19link510Posted 7/13/2012 2:09:31 PM(edited)
If you're not bothered by the noise yet, you can set a custom fan profile in MSI afterburner so that the fan goes faster the hotter it gets. Good for keeping temps down. Also, may want to think about strapping a side fan on there blowing at the card. That's the single biggest improvement you'll get out of a case fan (for GPU temps). If you do that and get temps down real low, you may even want to OC that bad boy. Don't know how much it'd be worth it, but hell, why not?

And as for the CPU, how high of an OC can you get with just two cores enabled? In games that don't use more than 2 cores you may see an improvement by going back to using 2 cores and bumping up the speed.
#20Boge(Topic Creator)Posted 7/13/2012 3:57:40 PM
It's a 3 core normally, and I haven't actually played with overclocked as a 3 core, but I'm rather content with things now.

I'll just sit on it the way it is for a while and then probably do a completely new build in a year or two.
---