This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How many people bring their desktops to college?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How many people bring their desktops to college?
4 years ago#1
I'm going in a year and I wouldn't want my rig jacked from my dorm. Is bringing a desktop to college viable?
Dell XPS L501x | Intel Core i5 460M @ 2.53GHz | NVIDIA GT 420M OC @ 700/900 | 4GB 1333 RAM | 500GB 7200 RPM HDD
4 years ago#2
I brought mine than brought it back home the second semester, It wasn't really worth it. I rather play on my under powered laptop to be completely honest.
Steam ID- jamoke57
4 years ago#3
it might actually be better than a laptop because laptops are easy to carry (and steal) whereas nobody is going to want to lug around a 40lb desktop. but either way computers and colleges are a worry for everyone, having something stolen is very common on a college campus
Xbox Live Gamertag: VegetarianEater
"This is very heavy, and this, may I remind you, is on fire." -Moony (Moony and Broon Show)
4 years ago#4
Playing video games in college is for losers.
RIP PseudoIntellect
FX-8150 @ 4.3 GHz | 7850 | 8GB DDR3 | HAF X | Rosewill LIGHTNING 800W | OCZ Vertex 3 240GB
4 years ago#5
I had brought mine.
GO NOLES!
4 years ago#6
I have a laptop (M11xR1) that I used freshman year, until i started making friends and we all got hyper technophile really fast. By my sophomore year, I lived in a triple with 2 of those friends and we all ordered and built our PC's together. It was an absolute blast. Security takes priority though. If you don't know who you're living with, I wouldn't go all out just yet. Not saying he/she might steal your stuff, but I know plenty of people who just keep their doors open/unlocked ALL THE TIME. This is a great idea for freshman year though, meeting new people and what not. It's all about balance though. I'd say leave it your first year/semester and see how you feel.
i5 2500K | Twin Frozr II GTX 560 Ti | 8GB DDR3 RAM | 550W PSU | RAIDMAX SMILODON Extreme Black | Intel H67CL MOBO
4 years ago#7
Laptop is more mobile and you go to collage to party/study not to play games all day in your dorm. =P
I'm Adrian and I like Muffin! =P
SnC
4 years ago#8
Laptops are really nice for in-class notes, but do not forget the practicality of a desktop. I use mine to type up my papers on my mechanical keyboard and utilizing my monitor real estate to maximize word-processing and research. Desktop =/= all day gaming.Especially when you run multi-monitor set ups.
i5 2500K | Twin Frozr II GTX 560 Ti | 8GB DDR3 RAM | 550W PSU | RAIDMAX SMILODON Extreme Black | Intel H67CL MOBO
4 years ago#9
gigapuddi posted...
Playing video games in college is for losers.

right. unless youre dealing with an 18 credit hour load i fail to see how you would be unable to manage your time properly. Some just arent very bright i suppose.
PC/PS3
Awaiting: Sleeping Dogs, GW2, Okami HD, and FFX HD
4 years ago#10
I brought mine my freshmen year.

Probably spent more time play games then I did in highschool.

College is pretty much a joke unless you make it hard by taking 15+ credit hours.
"Your opinion doesn't matter unless you support it with ACTUAL facts" Mr.Hoshaw 10th grade English teacher
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How many people bring their desktops to college?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived