This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Just got a new router

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Just got a new router

User Info: westy159

westy159
4 years ago#1
Networking has never been my strong point. Anything i should change with the router settings? For example would it be a good idea to turn the router firewall off to speed up my connection, each computer has its own firewall anyway...
That sums you up perfectly: left the jail cell and went to Roosters.

User Info: Monkeymage

Monkeymage
4 years ago#2
Yes, you should also paint flames on it to make the connection faster.
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o102/thecenturyslayer/1160358968771.gif
7.3 GHz Intel Deca-core "Hollow Tree" / 16GB TDR4 RAM / GTX 680 Penta-SLI

User Info: opinion_invalid

opinion_invalid
4 years ago#3
if its wireless put a password on the wifi along with the router itself.
ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3|Intel i5-2500K|G. Skill Ripjaws 8GB DDR3 1600|Radeon HD 5770|NZXT Phantom 410|1TB RAID0|OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W|COOLER MASTER Hyper N 520

User Info: Dragnfyr

Dragnfyr
4 years ago#4
The router firewall is very important. Software firewalls on computers are only a backup solution to the hardware firewalls in routers. Also disabling a firewall doesn't speed up an Internet connection.

You should put a password on that router for sure as well. Use WPA or WPA2. WEP is useless.
Asus M4A88TD-M | Phenom II X4 B55@3.80GHz | 8GB DDR3-1333 | 40GB+64GB SSD | Corsair TX650 | eVGA GTX 470@750/1800 | Samsung T240 | Win 7 x64 | MBP Retina

User Info: westy159

westy159
4 years ago#5
Yeah got a WPA2 password on it. Okay ill leave the firewall alone. I painted the flames on it but havent seen much difference yet, maybe i should add more detail, like smoke?

How about port forwarding, something i should leave till i find individual programs that i use which will benefit from it? Anything else? Cheers guys.
That sums you up perfectly: left the jail cell and went to Roosters.

User Info: Solid_Fake

Solid_Fake
4 years ago#6
Add some lightning to it.
I remember when I was like 17 working out at the YMCA some old dude pooped himself on the leg press machine. Loudest fart I've ever heard. -Muccmasterx

User Info: LordSeifer

LordSeifer
4 years ago#7
How about port forwarding, something i should leave till i find individual programs that i use which will benefit from it? An

yes, if something isnt working, then look at port forwarding.

basically a password is all you need to do
^ this
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Just got a new router

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived