This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Does Steam ever beat its own deals within the same sale?

#1lostlibrarianPosted 7/16/2012 9:40:14 PM
I see skyrim might be coming up at 50% again, and I bet it's going to turn up on the last day. Does steam ever increase the size of the discount on later deals, or is 50% the highest discount we're going to see on this one?
#2Artemis_FeiPosted 7/16/2012 9:41:46 PM
Unlikely.

Usually, the daily deal is the highest discount during the past sales. And since precedent has set that its the same discount percentage for daily deals, community deals and flash deals, not likely you'll see a further drop for already revealed deals.
---
CEnco De Mayo. [Proud Participant]
Epic. [1:23]
#3FiendingHardPosted 7/16/2012 9:42:02 PM
If its a Daily/Community/Flash sale, it won't go any lower than that.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d6yBHDvKUw
#4lostlibrarian(Topic Creator)Posted 7/16/2012 9:44:43 PM
Thanks, I suspected as much. Can anyone tell me how much it is in the US steam store? with a 33% discount It's showing up as 59.99 here in Australia
#5Artemis_FeiPosted 7/16/2012 9:46:53 PM
At -33%, it's $39.99 here in the States.

Sorry dude, Australia pricing sucks.
---
CEnco De Mayo. [Proud Participant]
Epic. [1:23]
#6lostlibrarian(Topic Creator)Posted 7/16/2012 9:49:57 PM(edited)
Ah, perhaps that would explain why it's doing so well in the sales.

Thanks for the replies!
#7FiendingHardPosted 7/16/2012 9:49:52 PM
Artemis_Fei posted...

I hear Australia gets jipped on games because their minimum wages are much higher than the U.S. A quick google search shows that the minimum wage in Australia is almost $16 at the moment where as its closer to $10 in the U.S.

Now before some economics professor jumps on my irrational logic, I'm assuming that the cost of living is proportionately higher in Australia too.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d6yBHDvKUw
#8lostlibrarian(Topic Creator)Posted 7/16/2012 9:54:14 PM
FiendingHard posted...
Artemis_Fei posted...

I hear Australia gets jipped on games because their minimum wages are much higher than the U.S. A quick google search shows that the minimum wage in Australia is almost $16 at the moment where as its closer to $10 in the U.S.

Now before some economics professor jumps on my irrational logic, I'm assuming that the cost of living is proportionately higher in Australia too.

According to textbook micro that would do it. Game publishers have pretty heavy monopoly power, so when they break down their markets like they can between countries then they set prices according to what will optimize profits in each market.
#9BalancelessPosted 7/16/2012 10:21:45 PM
I want to mention that this has already happened once this week. When Assassin's Creed revelations went on sale the other day as a flash deal, the bundle priced dropped accordingly to offer a decent pricing (from $50 to $45). Today, the entire AC franchise went on sale, and the bundle dropped down to $35.

I don't think it'll happen with individual games, but that doesn't preclude weirdness happening in some cases resulting in sales outdoing themselves over the week.
---
Cry Some More! - Heavy Weapons Guy, Team Fortress 2
#10wizardmonPosted 7/16/2012 10:27:38 PM
FiendingHard posted...
Artemis_Fei posted...

Iirc, minimum wage in the states is closer to 7.50$.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)