This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Getting some ridiculous load times from GTA IV. Any help?

#1Artemis_FeiPosted 7/18/2012 7:59:11 AM(edited)
Bought the Complete Pack, and it seems people weren't exaggerating over how unoptimized this game is.

Specs:
GTX 680
3570K @ 4.4GHz
8GB RAM

Load times are insane. Running the benchmark takes three minutes to load, sometimes longer. Anyone have any issues like this?
---
CEnco De Mayo. [Proud Participant]
Epic. [1:23]
#2Apaulo52Posted 7/18/2012 7:58:57 AM
Are your drivers up to date?
---
AMD-FX 4100 3.60GHz | 4GB Ram | 6670 1GB | 1TB HD
#3Artemis_Fei(Topic Creator)Posted 7/18/2012 7:59:22 AM
Yep.
---
#4AsucaHayashiPosted 7/18/2012 8:08:53 AM
what about the actual game?

first load of the game is what takes the longest(3~ minutes on my old phenom II setup) while everything else loaded at a brisk pace.
---
If console gaming is so cheap then why do I have to spend $600~ in order to play Super Mario Galaxy, Uncharted 3 and Halo 3?
#5g7g7g7g7Posted 7/18/2012 8:15:13 AM
Play episodes from Liberty city instead, its a better game/story, more entertaining and they made MASSIVE fixes to the engine. Much smoother and loads in Seconds.
---
3.2 phenom X4 black @3.6Ghz, VTX-3D ATI HD6850, XFX- HD 6850, 8GB Corsair vengeance, 1.5TB HDD, 700W Xigmatex PSU. antec 100 case
#6Artemis_Fei(Topic Creator)Posted 7/18/2012 8:24:15 AM
Also, running around the game, I find it ridiculous that FPS is still 50-60 on max settings, on a three year old game, with the fastest single GPU in the market.

I really hope the next GTA is optimized for the PC...
---
#7DinglesteedPosted 7/18/2012 8:27:36 AM
Artemis_Fei posted...
Also, running around the game, I find it ridiculous that FPS is still 50-60 on max settings, on a three year old game, with the fastest single GPU in the market.

So basically you are monitoring your FPS rather then enjoying the game? Turn off the FPS overlay and play the game for fun, not as a stress test on the computer. Do you really notice the difference between 50-60 FPS and 80+? No, didn't think so :>

The game has a ton of stuff going on at once that it is rendering. It's gonna take a bit of a hit in performance. Just be glad you are running it at 50+ FPS and not at 15-20 like when it released.
---
Playing: Flight Sim X, Civ 5, NHL 12, Magicka, Fallout series
#8KalirionPosted 7/18/2012 8:30:03 AM
I remember reading that the long load times are caused by a badly implemented vsync function in the game. Try disabling it - or googling for the exact recommended fix.
---
Don't be scared of nightmares; make them be scared of you.
#9Artemis_Fei(Topic Creator)Posted 7/18/2012 8:33:20 AM
Artemis_Fei posted...

So basically you are monitoring your FPS rather then enjoying the game? Turn off the FPS overlay and play the game for fun, not as a stress test on the computer. Do you really notice the difference between 50-60 FPS and 80+? No, didn't think so :>

The game has a ton of stuff going on at once that it is rendering. It's gonna take a bit of a hit in performance. Just be glad you are running it at 50+ FPS and not at 15-20 like when it released.

Still doesn't change the fact that the game is poorly optimized. I dunno what the issue is.

And I've tried disabling v-sync to no avail.

Anyways, folks online are saying terrible load times can be fixed by trying to reinstall the game, so I suppose I might try that. Been itching to play some more Civ anyways.
---
#10ShubPosted 7/18/2012 8:34:49 AM
Shadows is one of the things that kills performance in the game. Turn them down a notch. World of difference. There's another setting, too, but I forget what it is.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.