This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Help me with my patheticly slow RAID5

#1DocSatan316Posted 7/19/2012 6:09:42 PM
I have no idea what I'm doing wrong but something definately seems wrong here.

I have an Asus P8Z77-V deluxe with my SSD and 3 2TB drives on the intel controller which is set to RAID mode.

I set the 2TB drives up in RAID5 from the intel ROM utility.

Install windows on the SSD and initialized the raid volume.

I then went to format the raid volume but it went at a speed of about 1 percent every 30 minutes... 2 and a half days later, I was at about 95 percent and the power went out.

So I ran a quick format instead since it made it most of the way through and I had already ran a check disk and did not want to wait 3 more days.

But now I tried copying some data to it and it starts out at about 50MB/s but drops down to under 1MB/s after a few minutes and stays there.

Is there something I can do to fix this or do I have to scrap the RAID idea all together??

Any help is greatly appriciated.
---
i7 3770K 32GB , GTX 670 , 256GB OCZ Vertex 4 + 3x2TBs in RAID5, Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe
You're not drunk if you can lay on the floor without having to hold on
#2DocSatan316(Topic Creator)Posted 7/19/2012 7:40:57 PM
Whoops..... maybe I just started formatting the new volume before the intel utility had a chance to do its initialization. I noticed that's runing now so I guess I should wait for that to finish then probably try the full format again afer that and hopefully all is well.
---
i7 3770K 32GB , GTX 670 , 256GB OCZ Vertex 4 + 3x2TBs in RAID5, Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe
#3ShubPosted 7/19/2012 7:45:54 PM(edited)
The better question is why the hell are you doing a full format?
That said, RAID5 is kind of a bad idea on software RAID. Also, not all hard drives are RAID-friendly.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#4DocSatan316(Topic Creator)Posted 7/19/2012 8:44:01 PM
I guess I'm doing the full format out of habit since I've always thought that that was the prefered thing to do with a new hard drive.

As for the software RAID thing, I've used onboard RAID 0 and 1 in the past, and have used the windows RAID 1 as well and haven't ever had any trouble up to this point.
---
#5ChromaticAngelPosted 7/19/2012 9:00:05 PM
I have the same motherboard you do, and when I encountered a similar problem with SSD caching, I was able to fix it by disabling the SSD caching (while everything was still plugged in), and re-enabling it.

So, I guess, try messing around with the bios settings, make sure all drives work perfectly in SATA configuration, and then re-enable raid.

ALSO since you have 3 drives, you may get better results if you put them on the other 4 SATA ports that are not Intel/Asus's ports. Since, IIRC, there are only 2 Intel ports and that alone might cause problems with a 3-drive RAID.

everything I just posted is complete guesswork, I have never actually solved or given advice on a RAID problem before, but it sounds like it makes sense in my head.
---
"The easiest way to stop piracy is ... by giving those people a service that's better than what they're receiving from the pirates." ~ Gabe Newell.
#6ShubPosted 7/20/2012 5:31:27 AM
As for the software RAID thing, I've used onboard RAID 0 and 1 in the past, and have used the windows RAID 1 as well and haven't ever had any trouble up to this point.

That's because RAID 0 and 1 are considerably less complex than RAID 5.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#7Worknofun370Posted 7/20/2012 5:42:58 AM
Shub beat me already. Software RAID 5s are pretty horrible, if you ever want to do a RAID 5 (Which is one of the few RAIDs I would ever actually run TBH) you really need to get a hardware controller.
---
Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death. - Albert Einstein