This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Help me with my patheticly slow RAID5

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Help me with my patheticly slow RAID5

User Info: DocSatan316

DocSatan316
4 years ago#1
I have no idea what I'm doing wrong but something definately seems wrong here.

I have an Asus P8Z77-V deluxe with my SSD and 3 2TB drives on the intel controller which is set to RAID mode.

I set the 2TB drives up in RAID5 from the intel ROM utility.

Install windows on the SSD and initialized the raid volume.

I then went to format the raid volume but it went at a speed of about 1 percent every 30 minutes... 2 and a half days later, I was at about 95 percent and the power went out.

So I ran a quick format instead since it made it most of the way through and I had already ran a check disk and did not want to wait 3 more days.

But now I tried copying some data to it and it starts out at about 50MB/s but drops down to under 1MB/s after a few minutes and stays there.

Is there something I can do to fix this or do I have to scrap the RAID idea all together??

Any help is greatly appriciated.
i7 3770K 32GB , GTX 670 , 256GB OCZ Vertex 4 + 3x2TBs in RAID5, Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe
You're not drunk if you can lay on the floor without having to hold on

DocSatan316
4 years ago#2
Whoops..... maybe I just started formatting the new volume before the intel utility had a chance to do its initialization. I noticed that's runing now so I guess I should wait for that to finish then probably try the full format again afer that and hopefully all is well.
i7 3770K 32GB , GTX 670 , 256GB OCZ Vertex 4 + 3x2TBs in RAID5, Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe

User Info: Shub

Shub
4 years ago#3
The better question is why the hell are you doing a full format?
That said, RAID5 is kind of a bad idea on software RAID. Also, not all hard drives are RAID-friendly.
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.

DocSatan316
4 years ago#4
I guess I'm doing the full format out of habit since I've always thought that that was the prefered thing to do with a new hard drive.

As for the software RAID thing, I've used onboard RAID 0 and 1 in the past, and have used the windows RAID 1 as well and haven't ever had any trouble up to this point.

User Info: ChromaticAngel

ChromaticAngel
4 years ago#5
I have the same motherboard you do, and when I encountered a similar problem with SSD caching, I was able to fix it by disabling the SSD caching (while everything was still plugged in), and re-enabling it.

So, I guess, try messing around with the bios settings, make sure all drives work perfectly in SATA configuration, and then re-enable raid.

ALSO since you have 3 drives, you may get better results if you put them on the other 4 SATA ports that are not Intel/Asus's ports. Since, IIRC, there are only 2 Intel ports and that alone might cause problems with a 3-drive RAID.

everything I just posted is complete guesswork, I have never actually solved or given advice on a RAID problem before, but it sounds like it makes sense in my head.
"The easiest way to stop piracy is ... by giving those people a service that's better than what they're receiving from the pirates." ~ Gabe Newell.

User Info: Shub

Shub
4 years ago#6
As for the software RAID thing, I've used onboard RAID 0 and 1 in the past, and have used the windows RAID 1 as well and haven't ever had any trouble up to this point.

That's because RAID 0 and 1 are considerably less complex than RAID 5.
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.

User Info: Worknofun370

Worknofun370
4 years ago#7
Shub beat me already. Software RAID 5s are pretty horrible, if you ever want to do a RAID 5 (Which is one of the few RAIDs I would ever actually run TBH) you really need to get a hardware controller.
Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death. - Albert Einstein
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Help me with my patheticly slow RAID5

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived