This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

argh Steam... is this intentional or is this software just a piece of s***

#1ChromaticAngelPosted 7/19/2012 9:22:53 PM
Trying to download Alan Wake + American Nightmare + a Game update that started itself.

Client will not download all of them at the same time. I can only get one to download at a time.

Attempting to resume a second one causes the one that was downloading to be suspended.

Resume All button does not work

Tried restarting Steam and restarting computer and it's the same s***
---
"The easiest way to stop piracy is ... by giving those people a service that's better than what they're receiving from the pirates." ~ Gabe Newell.
#2Marioface5Posted 7/19/2012 9:23:58 PM
Normally this doesn't happen, I'm 98% sure it's because of the summer sale, which is understandable.
---
The world gets weirder every day.
PSN: Marioface5
#3FiendingHardPosted 7/19/2012 9:25:49 PM
Marioface5 posted...
Normally this doesn't happen, I'm 98% sure it's because of the summer sale, which is understandable.

Most likely. The one game download limit is probably due to all the traffic.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d6yBHDvKUw
#4ChromaticAngel(Topic Creator)Posted 7/19/2012 9:27:08 PM
there must be some kind of switch on valve's end that they can throw to limit downloading like this, I guess.
---
"The easiest way to stop piracy is ... by giving those people a service that's better than what they're receiving from the pirates." ~ Gabe Newell.
#5DarkZV2BetaPosted 7/19/2012 9:50:55 PM
Or maybe steam is having trouble getting a solid line due to server load.
---
Gamers: We want better performance in Dark Souls! PC Port plx!
FromSoft: So you want framerate issues on PC?! OK!
#6CrapFactoryPosted 7/19/2012 9:55:03 PM
It's server load. Steam sales always have this problem. Too many people are buying games and downloading them. If they wanted to make this problem go away they'd have to buy a significant amount of new servers to handle the load which would likely mean the Steam Sales would not be as cheap and they'd have a lot of useless servers when there's no Steam Sale.
---
Pokemon White FC: 4427 0884 0916
#7ballifPosted 7/19/2012 9:55:16 PM
Try switching your download region to something like Iceland.
#8SpacewhizguyPosted 7/19/2012 10:39:02 PM
CrapFactory posted...
If they wanted to make this problem go away they'd have to buy a significant amount of new servers to handle the load which would likely mean the Steam Sales would not be as cheap and they'd have a lot of useless servers when there's no Steam Sale.

There are other ways to solve the problem, but Valve is pretty slow and bad at doing fixes. Blizzard's solution is one example.

Extra servers shouldn't be a monetary problem, considering how profitable Valve is. Seriously, you'd rather a giant corporation have to deal with too many idle servers than customers being hugely inconvenienced during several sizable portions of the year? Also, it's not like the extra servers would be useless. During non-sale periods, the extra servers might help alleviate the random downtime that strikes Steam too often for my tastes, and Steam can sometimes get slow during non-sale periods. Dota 2's release is delayed because of a lack of servers, costing Valve a lot of time and money.
---
What's a sig?
#9g7g7g7g7Posted 7/20/2012 1:25:36 AM
ballif posted...
Try switching your download region to something like Iceland.

^THIS

Also the Netherlands server is solid as a rock.
---
3.2 phenom X4 black @3.6Ghz, VTX-3D ATI HD6850, XFX- HD 6850, 8GB Corsair vengeance, 1.5TB HDD, 700W Xigmatex PSU. antec 100 case
#10xHFxPosted 7/20/2012 1:45:56 AM
Dota 2's release is delayed because of a lack of servers, costing Valve a lot of time and money.

To the public, yeah, but the game's pretty much already released >_>