This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone know of any good strategy games that are centered around Greek mythology?

#21KillerTrufflePosted 7/20/2012 3:04:19 PM
RTS still has a classic, standard definition tho. When someone says "RTS," 99 times out of 100, they're thinking Dawn of War, StarCraft, Command & Conquer, Age of Empires, etc. There are some RTS such as Sacrifice which doesn't involve base building, or may do something else interesting and unusual, but they still keep to much of the "standards" of the genre.

Claiming that RTS can involve anything with strategic elements is just semantics, because based on that definition, ANY game you play is a strategy game. Super Mario Bros. Skyrim. Need for Speed. FIFA 2012. If you go that route, the term "RTS" becomes meaningless when someone is looking for specific suggestions. The gaming community has a fairly clear understanding of what is meant by the term RTS. The fact that you have to strategically decide when to use which attack in Diablo doesn't make it an RTS in anything but the most ridiculously broad semantic sense.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#22Dark_Oblivion2Posted 7/20/2012 3:18:26 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
RTS still has a classic, standard definition tho. When someone says "RTS," 99 times out of 100, they're thinking Dawn of War, StarCraft, Command & Conquer, Age of Empires, etc. There are some RTS such as Sacrifice which doesn't involve base building, or may do something else interesting and unusual, but they still keep to much of the "standards" of the genre.

Claiming that RTS can involve anything with strategic elements is just semantics, because based on that definition, ANY game you play is a strategy game. Super Mario Bros. Skyrim. Need for Speed. FIFA 2012. If you go that route, the term "RTS" becomes meaningless when someone is looking for specific suggestions. The gaming community has a fairly clear understanding of what is meant by the term RTS. The fact that you have to strategically decide when to use which attack in Diablo doesn't make it an RTS in anything but the most ridiculously broad semantic sense.

The community who? which "standards"? The "board of RTS gamers"? you? Like I mentioned it's has become a rather generic definition and has somewhat become misleading over the years. Most Total Wars fans for example argues that TW is not even an RTS but rather an RTT same thing with DoW series especially DoW 2 where most elements and mechanics focus almost entirely on direct squad or formation management rather than a grand strategical battlemap scale or again like I mention base building, resources gathering or whatnot, the term RTS it's self is simply too broad to properly define in actual context.

Thus why some developers just say their games are RTS/ RTT/ RPG or a combination of henceforth which is also accurate.
---
Even the most primitive society has an innate respect for the insane.
#23Dragon239Posted 7/20/2012 11:07:16 PM(edited)
There are many RTS involving controlling singular units or teams. Jagged Alliance series, Silent Storm,

Real time Tactics, or "Tactical Squad Based"...not RTS. Tactics isn't strategy.
Actually, those are are 'turn based tactics', not even real time.
RTT vs RTS isn't something I really want to get into, but I consider it RTT generally if there is no base building [as it becomes more of how you use your units, and games like this generally feature skills, morale, and are more detailed in their combat, incorporating flanking and..tactics], and RTS if there is base building, as the combat tends to become simpler.
---
Phenom II x4 955 3.2GHZ, 4GB DDR3, HD4890 1GB, W7 Ult x64, 22inch LCD Asus.
http://i.imgur.com/kmiQd.jpg - http://i.imgur.com/Fhgni.jpg - Carai an Caldazar!
#24Dark_Oblivion2Posted 7/21/2012 12:12:59 AM(edited)
Dragon239 posted...
There are many RTS involving controlling singular units or teams. Jagged Alliance series, Silent Storm,

Real time Tactics, or "Tactical Squad Based"...not RTS. Tactics isn't strategy.
Actually, those are are 'turn based tactics', not even real time.
RTT vs RTS isn't something I really want to get into, but I consider it RTT generally if there is no base building [as it becomes more of how you use your units, and games like this generally feature skills, morale, and are more detailed in their combat, incorporating flanking and..tactics], and RTS if there is base building, as the combat tends to become simpler.

They aren't thus my post above. Read it. Again with the definition of the "generalization" on RTS which I again pointed out earlier. Also there lots of games that used a clever combination elements of RTS mixed RTT e.g. Total War, King Arthur, DoW etc. etc. So if the developers or someone else saying their game like the one mentioned above are indeed either RTS or RTT then that's an accurate statement too since it does contains a combination genre or sub-genre of the followings thereof.

If anyone just want to microscopically classified every other genre or gameplay down to a single definition then it would be impossible but not totally inaccurate.
---
Even the most primitive society has an innate respect for the insane.