This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How lucky am I?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How lucky am I?

User Info: Oayarc

Oayarc
4 years ago#1
About 2 months ago I stupidly placed a glass of water on the opposite side of my computer. When I reached without looking to pick it up and lift it over the case, the bottom of the glass caught the top of the case, did a complete 180, and landed top down on the upwards facing fan on my case.

All of the water fell out of this glass and into my 4 month old computer. It immediately powered off. I jumped up, unplugged it, opened the case and crammed it full of paper towels. After it was full removed the towels, left the side cover off and positioned a box fan up against it for 24 hours with a small bowl of rice on the bottom of the case.

I then plugged it back in and it is like nothing ever happened. Is this normal or am i very lucky?
I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of fans suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. - Star Wars Galaxies

User Info: I_Am_On_Fire

I_Am_On_Fire
4 years ago#2
If it's properly dried, you should be fine.
HP Pavilion dv6-2182nr | 6 GB DDR2 800 | 500 GB HDD | Windows 7x64 | ATi Radeon HD 4650 1 GB | AMD Turion II Ultra M620 @ 2.5 GHz

User Info: Lessermook

Lessermook
4 years ago#3
Did you make a deal with the Devil?
Im not a troll.
I just hate everything you like.

Oayarc
4 years ago#4
Lessermook posted...
Did you make a deal with the Devil?

None that I am aware of, but I wouldn't be surprised if he comes collecting...
I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of fans suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. - Star Wars Galaxies

User Info: Sletlite

Sletlite
4 years ago#5
I'd say lucky, specs?
evga GTX 570 OC | Phenom II X4 965 @ 4.2Ghz | Corsair H100 | 8GB DDR3 1333 | 60gb SSD, 1tb HDD | Corsair CX600 PSU | NZXT Phantom

User Info: BigKahuna38

BigKahuna38
4 years ago#6
It's probably your sig.
http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/9944/bigkz.jpg
"Hamburgers! The cornerstone of any nutritious breakfast."

Oayarc
4 years ago#7
Sletlite posted...
I'd say lucky, specs?

Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 Z68
I3 2100
Patriot DDR3 1600 2x4GB
Samsung spinpoint F3 1TB
Sapphire 6850
Corsair Builder Series 430W PSU

Oayarc
4 years ago#8
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147145
this is my case as well for reference. The graphics card seemed to be the main catch for the water but i found some on the PSU and motherboard.

User Info: ihumpmypillow89

ihumpmypillow89
4 years ago#9
Water only really kills things if the power is on if it's completely dried by the time you power it back up you'll be good.
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2436170

User Info: NuramaTheBD

NuramaTheBD
4 years ago#10
nah, I had something similar happen. A glass was on my desk and i hit it with my hand on accident and it fell over, directly pouring the contents of cherry soda into my computer. It stopped working just like yours. I then proceeded to rage and get pissed off. But the next day I decided to turn it on and see what would happen.

Turned it on and it ran for about 30 seconds. I was actually happy with that. So every couple hours from then I would turn it on and let it run for as long as it could. About 3 days later it would run for 12 hours + without any issues.

Idk man, just works. The parts where all sticky though. :\ Since then I have never set a glass in a -place where it can do that. And I also have built 2 more computers so. MEH xD
GENERATION 20: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How lucky am I?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived