This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How can I make a folder have a password?

#11ChromaticAngelPosted 7/26/2012 7:02:25 PM
if you have Windows 7 Ultimate use Bitlocker.
---
"The easiest way to stop piracy is ... by giving those people a service that's better than what they're receiving from the pirates." ~ Gabe Newell.
#12UglyisyournamePosted 7/26/2012 7:04:46 PM
Just put everything in a folder and leave it the default name "New Folder" nobody will look in there :-)
#13gastamanPosted 7/26/2012 7:07:18 PM

Can BitLocker encrypt individual files and folders? I thought just entire volumes.
---
//Intel// Core i7 2600k @ 4.0 //Gigabyte// Z68X-UD7-B3 //MSI// 3x GTX 580 Lightning SLi
//Corsair// 650D / H100 / 120 GB Force 3 / 12 GB Dominator / AX1200
#14ChromaticAngelPosted 7/26/2012 7:35:58 PM
gastaman posted...

Can BitLocker encrypt individual files and folders? I thought just entire volumes.

unsure, if it is entire volumes, then make a partition just for the clients folder and Bitlock it.
---
"The easiest way to stop piracy is ... by giving those people a service that's better than what they're receiving from the pirates." ~ Gabe Newell.
#15gastamanPosted 7/26/2012 8:01:56 PM(edited)
ChromaticAngel posted...
gastaman posted...

unsure, if it is entire volumes, then make a partition just for the clients folder and Bitlock it.

You can only use BitLocker if your Windows partition uses BitLocker, as far as I know. EFS is really the easier and better option, for this scenario.
---
//Intel// Core i7 2600k @ 4.0 //Gigabyte// Z68X-UD7-B3 //MSI// 3x GTX 580 Lightning SLi
#16Lonestar2000Posted 7/26/2012 8:03:47 PM
Truecrypt
---
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room.
Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335
#17ShubPosted 7/26/2012 8:11:18 PM(edited)
EFS doesn't prompt you for a password though. The data is encrypted so a person who steals the computer or the hard drive may not decrypt the data without the password of the user who encrypted the data, and using one of those password reset tools will tamper with the keypair requires by EFS to decrypt the data, making it irrecoverable. But if you leave the computer unattended and don't lock it, anyone can just sit down in front of it and grab the encrypted data as if it wasn't encrypted to begin with.

The best option in this case is a TrueCrypt container of the desired size, which you can store directly on your hard drive like a document. Make sure to back it up if it contains important info. But again, TrueCrypt works by mounting an encrypted volume to a drive letter. If you leave your computer unattended with the TrueCrypt container mounted, the data within can be accessed freely.

So you gotta be careful either way, but TrueCrypt offers additional security.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#18gastamanPosted 7/26/2012 8:21:56 PM
EFS doesn't prompt you for a password though. The data is encrypted so a person who steals the computer or the hard drive may not decrypt the data without the password of the user who encrypted the data, and using one of those password reset tools will tamper with the keypair requires by EFS to decrypt the data, making it irrecoverable. But if you leave the computer unattended and don't lock it, anyone can just sit down in front of it and grab the encrypted data as if it wasn't encrypted to begin with.

The best option in this case is a TrueCrypt container of the desired size, which you can store directly on your hard drive like a document. Make sure to back it up if it contains important info. But again, TrueCrypt works by mounting an encrypted volume to a drive letter. If you leave your computer unattended with the TrueCrypt container mounted, the data within can be accessed freely.

So you gotta be careful either way, but TrueCrypt offers additional security.

Well that sucks.
---
#19XjphPosted 7/26/2012 8:41:35 PM
Leaving your encrypted files open for someone who wanders by to look at does suck, yes.... what exactly did you expect from that scenario? Your computer to detect that it's not you that just came back from the fridge and lock itself down?
---
http://highpressure.xjph.net/ - Too Much Steam In Too Little Space
Playing all my Steam games, at long last.
#20gastamanPosted 7/26/2012 8:49:49 PM(edited)
Leaving your encrypted files open for someone who wanders by to look at does suck, yes.... what exactly did you expect from that scenario? Your computer to detect that it's not you that just came back from the fridge and lock itself down?

No, I expected it to require an encryption key to decyrpt the files/folders before they are able to be accessed. Apparently, this is not the case.

Edit: Also, the scenario doesn't entail "Leaving your encrypted files open", but rather, simply leaving your computer unlocked.
---