This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So, why did Diablo III fail?

#101ikaruga0101Posted 7/30/2012 4:02:46 AM
CrapFactory posted...
It sold like crazy and made them a lot of money. Fail?

From a gamer, consumer point of view, yes, it failed. Unless you work for/invest in Blizzard there is no reason to be happy. Just because something sells a lot it doesn't mean its good.
#102samurai1900Posted 7/30/2012 4:04:29 AM(edited)
ikaruga0101 posted...
CrapFactory posted...
It sold like crazy and made them a lot of money. Fail?

From a gamer, consumer point of view, yes, it failed. Unless you work for/invest in Blizzard there is no reason to be happy. Just because something sells a lot it doesn't mean its good.

This.

Otherwise my work would be selling like crazy, to say the least, it's revolutionary!
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/Mosse190 - Samurai190
http://steamcommunity.com/id/SuperSamurai190//
#103dermoratrakenPosted 7/30/2012 4:43:15 AM
Unless you work for/invest in Blizzard there is no reason to be happy.

I'm sure they are less happy than the consumers. Cataclysm and d3 sold millions of copies, but blizz puts a lot of time and effort into releasing and supporting games. That costs money and eats into profit. Plus, who is going to want to invest in a company that released two poorly received games out of the last three? Blizz can't sell 10 million copies based off brand alone if they run the brand name into the ground.
#104GoIrish80Posted 7/30/2012 8:10:03 AM
I wonder how many people who say the game "failed" play it multiple hours a day.
---
i5-2500k @ 4.3ghz | 8GB DDR3 | Nvidia 670 2GB SLI | 1TB HD x2
#105InfernalDragon5Posted 7/30/2012 2:28:37 PM
kyncani posted...
^ May I mention borderlands ?

Sure, forgot about it despite the fact than I am playing it right now. Although I should mention that borderlands does a lot of things wrong and is a step back in the fps/rpg genre in some ways such as lack of customizable weapons (scopes, laser sightings, and ammo would have made a big difference), level differences mean way to much (a difference of 5 levels means a curbstomping for someone), and the pc port was crapped on. However, weaker gameplay always seems to accompany the presence of online-coop, so there's that.
#106JKatarnPosted 7/30/2012 3:14:39 PM
dermoratraken posted...
Unless you work for/invest in Blizzard there is no reason to be happy.

I'm sure they are less happy than the consumers. Cataclysm and d3 sold millions of copies, but blizz puts a lot of time and effort into releasing and supporting games. That costs money and eats into profit. Plus, who is going to want to invest in a company that released two poorly received games out of the last three? Blizz can't sell 10 million copies based off brand alone if they run the brand name into the ground.

So I suppose an 88 on Metacritic and millions of satisfied players is a failure, huh? The game is flawed, sure, I'm not happy with a few of their decisions (namely the RMAH), but it's damn fun (through Hell anyway). It seems the niche that can't rid themselves of their rose-colored memories of Diablo 2 refuse to reconcile the fact that Diablo III was in fact a success. Constant complaints by a small percentage of the gaming populace != failure
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 460 Superclocked
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#107BuckVanHammerPosted 7/30/2012 3:22:37 PM
JKatarn posted...
BuckVanHammer posted...
i dumped 200 hours into III really fast, then *poof* i got sick of it and haven't touched it in a month. Can't really explain why, but all i can say is diablo 2 lod had it; III just doesn't have it.

you got 200 hours out of a game - what exactly are you complaining about? Seems to me you got more than your money's worth, an Action RPG isn't an MMO, I don't understand why people expect constant new content.

Not trying to come off as a complainer at all, i enjoyed most of my time with d3. I'm was simply trying to articulate why my interest in the game fell off well short of my expectations. 200 hours is a drop in a bucket compared to the time i put into d2 and i agree 200 hours worth of content is a great deal for 60 bucks; i can't argue with that. i wasn't expecting anything like a mmo at all or even wanted a mmo experience either. D3 just failed to grab me like d2 did. I could probably rattle off 20 possible reasons as to why it didn't connect with me like 2, but that would be beside the main point. it just didn't have it.
---
hat'er n. a person that calls you out on your douchebaggery
#108dermoratrakenPosted 7/30/2012 3:52:21 PM
So I suppose an 88 on Metacritic and millions of satisfied players is a failure, huh?

It's a failure if it fails to meet their goals. All my friends already quit playing, and these are guys that have been playing blizz games for over a decade. You'll hear the same story repeatedly from different people. Are blizz and its investors satisfied with just selling copies of the game? Most definitely not. Their strategy for years has been to build a social experience with bnet, which ironically is one of the biggest shortcomings of d3.
#109JKatarnPosted 7/30/2012 4:01:02 PM
BuckVanHammer posted...
JKatarn posted...
BuckVanHammer posted...
i dumped 200 hours into III really fast, then *poof* i got sick of it and haven't touched it in a month. Can't really explain why, but all i can say is diablo 2 lod had it; III just doesn't have it.

you got 200 hours out of a game - what exactly are you complaining about? Seems to me you got more than your money's worth, an Action RPG isn't an MMO, I don't understand why people expect constant new content.

Not trying to come off as a complainer at all, i enjoyed most of my time with d3. I'm was simply trying to articulate why my interest in the game fell off well short of my expectations. 200 hours is a drop in a bucket compared to the time i put into d2 and i agree 200 hours worth of content is a great deal for 60 bucks; i can't argue with that. i wasn't expecting anything like a mmo at all or even wanted a mmo experience either. D3 just failed to grab me like d2 did. I could probably rattle off 20 possible reasons as to why it didn't connect with me like 2, but that would be beside the main point. it just didn't have it.

Sorry to jump down your throat, I misinterpreted/misread what you wrote, not always easy to glean tone etc. from text. I think with the inevitable patches and expansion down the road, there will be more content to play at some point.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 460 Superclocked
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES