This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do you overclock?

#1xHFxPosted 7/30/2012 7:38:17 PM
Heh, just kidding. I know there are tons of guides out there teaching you how to overclock, but I was wondering if anyone has any pointers or tips before I do.

I've always wanted to overclock, but never been dedicated enough to sit through and read to make myself informed enough to do so.

Well, I was also wondering if it's possible to get a good overclock for my GTX460 and Q9550 with a Hyper 212+, with an Antec 430W Basiq PSU.

My previous PSU was a 500W StealthxStream, but it died about a week ago. And this Antec PSU I've picked up was used at Fry's for $28, but it still works, so I'm not sure how bad it was before it was returned. Maybe it just wasn't good enough or something for that other guy who returned it, heh.

So any ideas? My motherboard is a GIGABYTE EP45-DS3L, 4GB DDR2-800 RAM (Corsair XMS2), if any of those mean anything.

As for overclocking the GPU, is it really as simple as sliding a slider on MSI Afterburner? What programs do you use to test for stability?

And voltage control seems to be one of the difficult stuff. I was wondering, what are the voltage plugs for that your video card gives you?
#2xHFx(Topic Creator)Posted 7/31/2012 12:18:34 AM
bump
#3thaandieselPosted 7/31/2012 6:26:45 AM
http://www.overclock.net/t/590947/q9550-ep45-ds3l-overclock-tweaking - i would suggest this, but i wouldnt suggest you crank the voltages like they did. take it little fsb by little, and only give voltage as needed, never start cranking voltages right away(maybe one single small bump up). my q9550 really shines when running 3.6 ish, and i am using a hyper 212 as well with temps never exceeding 57C, 60 when playing BF3 tho.

gpu wise, i never found any real reason to overclock a gpu, unless you spend $400 at which point overclocking will yield noticible gains. 2-5 fps increase isnt too noticible imho for most gpu overclocks.

voltage control is easy, if you know what voltages do. voltage is there for stability, with heat as a by product, thus needing the coolers. dont use voltage unless you have to, just pay attention to your temps. if your temps are too high, 68-ish or more, ide back off the voltages and run what ever you can get. but as you overclock, you will get to a point where you may need a bump in volts, its ok to do so, but pay attention to your temps afterwards. good luck! it can be a pain to get stable sometimes, but worth it in the end when you do.
---
<- Q9550@3.3 - G31M - Hyper 212+ - 4 gig 1066 - GTX 470 650mhz - xfi 5.1 usb - turtle beach HPA2 true 5.1 - 64 gig Mushkin SSD ->
#4dermoratrakenPosted 7/31/2012 6:50:18 AM
My tip is to not bother.
#5The_Count_FooPosted 7/31/2012 6:54:05 AM
My buddy has a wicked overclock on his galaxy 465, he put a better heatsink on though. It can compete with my overclocked 560ti. I'm not sure about the q9550, but I had a q8300 and it had locked core multipliers which pretty much made it useless for overclocking.
---
Divided by night...
#6little_spedvePosted 7/31/2012 11:59:54 AM
Heh, just kidding. I know there are tons of guides out there teaching you how to overclock, but I was wondering if anyone has any pointers or tips before I do.

I've always wanted to overclock, but never been dedicated enough to sit through and read to make myself informed enough to do so.

Well, I was also wondering if it's possible to get a good overclock for my GTX460 and Q9550 with a Hyper 212+, with an Antec 430W Basiq PSU.

My previous PSU was a 500W StealthxStream, but it died about a week ago. And this Antec PSU I've picked up was used at Fry's for $28, but it still works, so I'm not sure how bad it was before it was returned. Maybe it just wasn't good enough or something for that other guy who returned it, heh.

So any ideas? My motherboard is a GIGABYTE EP45-DS3L, 4GB DDR2-800 RAM (Corsair XMS2), if any of those mean anything.

As for overclocking the GPU, is it really as simple as sliding a slider on MSI Afterburner? What programs do you use to test for stability?

And voltage control seems to be one of the difficult stuff. I was wondering, what are the voltage plugs for that your video card gives you?

Let me ask you something. Are you overclocking just because? Or because you're noticing FPS issues in games you are trying to run? I wouldn't bother TBH, it shortens the life of your card.
---
| Asus G74Sx, Intel Core i7 2630 2.00Ghz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 560m 2GB |
| Xbox360 | Wii | Android (GSIII) | GCN | N64 | NES | 3DS | PS2 |
#7ShubPosted 7/31/2012 12:02:19 PM
it shortens the life of your card.

No it doesn't, unless you mess with voltages in an unreasonable fashion.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#8Snuckie7Posted 7/31/2012 12:04:35 PM
little_spedve posted...
Let me ask you something. Are you overclocking just because? Or because you're noticing FPS issues in games you are trying to run? I wouldn't bother TBH, it shortens the life of your card.

It's always nice getting a sizeable boost to performance, which frankly everyone could use. Unless you run all your games maxed at 60fps, there is always a reason to overclock your gpu. The shortened lifespan is negligible, especially if you don't mess with voltage and by the time your card dies, it's probably time for an upgrade anyways.
---
Dell XPS L501x | Intel Core i5 460M @ 2.53GHz | NVIDIA GT 420M OC @ 700/900 | 4GB 1333 RAM | 500GB 7200 RPM HDD
#9little_spedvePosted 7/31/2012 1:15:02 PM
little_spedve posted...

It's always nice getting a sizeable boost to performance, which frankly everyone could use. Unless you run all your games maxed at 60fps, there is always a reason to overclock your gpu. The shortened lifespan is negligible, especially if you don't mess with voltage and by the time your card dies, it's probably time for an upgrade anyways.

I can't really notice the small FPS difference but every person to their own i guess.
---
| Asus G74Sx, Intel Core i7 2630 2.00Ghz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 560m 2GB |
| Xbox360 | Wii | Android (GSIII) | GCN | N64 | NES | 3DS | PS2 |
#10thaandieselPosted 7/31/2012 1:30:26 PM
i called the same with gpu overclocking, unless you have a 670, a overclock will only grant a few fps, imho not even worth messing with rivatuner over. cpu wise, i hope my link helps!
---
<- Q9550@3.3 - G31M - Hyper 212+ - 4 gig 1066 - GTX 470 650mhz - xfi 5.1 usb - turtle beach HPA2 true 5.1 - 64 gig Mushkin SSD ->