The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Yet another HALP, Building PC topic

#1Legends KujaPosted 11/1/2012 5:49:26 PM(edited)
I want to game, yes, but I don't care about top of the line graphics--just reliability and future proofing if I can. I watch loads of media so I like lots of storage space. I also program and write.

I have this build so far.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mc8F

I'm trying to stay under 900, not including OS (suggestions on how to get W8 on there for cheap can still help) or monitor (already bought and on its way).

PS: is there any worth to barebones kits?
---
Work that sucker to death, come on now, work that sucker to death!
The war begins, with earth trembling fear! Bold, brainy, and cold-hearted...
#2BilliePilgrimPosted 11/1/2012 6:16:49 PM
Don't buy thermal paste. It's pointless, especially if you can't overclock. Use that money to buy a mouse that's worth a damn.

I would switch to a WD or Seagate HDD, recent reviews of your current choice is riddled with DOA complaints.

Also, unless you've got a high end stero, a sound card won't do you much good.
---
i5 2500k @ 4.2| Corsair H60 | EVGA GTX 670 | MSI P67A-GD55 | 8GB DDR3 1600 | Fractal Design Define XL | 750W PSU
#3Legends Kuja(Topic Creator)Posted 11/1/2012 6:55:44 PM
I use headphones most of the time, so I can ignore that for now? I do plan to hook up a stereo system much later in its life

But if I can ignore that in getting more performance, then sure! should I get a higher processor or better graphics card for what I need to do?

Thermal paste? What the hell is that? I didn't see that in any of my choices.
---
Work that sucker to death, come on now, work that sucker to death!
The war begins, with earth trembling fear! Bold, brainy, and cold-hearted...
#4SnadadosPosted 11/1/2012 7:12:51 PM
I think he meant an after marked CPU cooler instead of thermal paste.
Like he said, though, it is pointless to get an after market cooler if you're not going to overclock the CPU.
The stock cooler that comes with the CPU will do just fine.

You could get an i5 3470 with the money you save skipping the sound card.
---
Have you accepted Raspberyl as your loli and savior?
#5YoungAdultLinkPosted 11/1/2012 7:26:00 PM
Drop the bluray drive for a plain DVD drive. You can't actually watch bluray movies without buying a $50-60 program, anyway. And between that and using the stock cooler you could switch the 560 for a 7850, which is more along the lines of the 570 but with lower power draw.

Also, you could spend about the same for a 3220 and a b75 board, which would be slightly better than the 2130 and h61.
---
Once we perfect building Mechs, I expect there to be a factory in Mexico pumping out a brand call Mechsican. I wanna buy me a Mechsican.
#6CuteBeansPosted 11/1/2012 8:38:32 PM(edited)
http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

Get this. Inifinitely better.

Don't get a cheap dual core when your budget is $900. Put a DVD drive there but if you really need a Blue ray Drive then just add it up.

Got a cheap mouse + keyboard combo for only $15 that is wired. Never get wireless especially since you plan on gaming.

i5-3450 + 7870 + 8gb of ram. Great gaming machine. I didn't go all out on your budget since you seem to be keen on saving money.

As others have said, no need for cooler and sound card
#7YoungAdultLinkPosted 11/1/2012 8:42:41 PM
Since he's not going to be overclocking he can look at the Xeon chips. They're basically i7s.
---
Once we perfect building Mechs, I expect there to be a factory in Mexico pumping out a brand call Mechsican. I wanna buy me a Mechsican.
#8CuteBeansPosted 11/1/2012 8:53:31 PM
YoungAdultLink posted...
Since he's not going to be overclocking he can look at the Xeon chips. They're basically i7s.

They really are made for servers. I don't recommend it.
#9YoungAdultLinkPosted 11/1/2012 9:01:35 PM
The current ones are really just slightly underclocked ivy bridge i7s that don't include the integrated graphics. And you can get it right at $210.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117288

You'd have to make sure to get a mobo that supports it, though. I think Asrock lists all their b75/z75/z77 boards as supporting the xeon chips with the latest bios, but I can't vouch for other companies.
---
#10CuteBeansPosted 11/1/2012 9:19:37 PM
YoungAdultLink posted...
The current ones are really just slightly underclocked ivy bridge i7s that don't include the integrated graphics. And you can get it right at $210.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117288

You'd have to make sure to get a mobo that supports it, though. I think Asrock lists all their b75/z75/z77 boards as supporting the xeon chips with the latest bios, but I can't vouch for other companies.

It isn't worth it. This thing is just an i5 without the integrated GPU. It doesn't have HT, you can't even overclock it.