This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why you should vote for Obama if you care at all about internet openness.

#1Mike_HD2Posted 11/5/2012 3:45:31 PM
The Verge
Last year, I quit my job at AOL and Engadget to join a small internet publishing startup and build what would become The Verge and Vox Media. After a lot of hard work, I am proud to say The Verge has been a success we have hired, invested, and grown during what remains a massive recession.

Our ability to succeed is why I believe President Obama should be re-elected. The Verge exists only on the internet, and Romney's position on net neutrality and network access represent a grave threat not only to our future, but to the entire technology industry. Both candidates have insisted that this election is a referendum on the future of the economy; the GOP's platform would hand control of the internet economy to a small handful of entrenched corporations with a long history of crushing innovation in the name of control. Bluntly, a vote for Romney is a vote for the worst of AT&T, Verizon, and Comcast.

Romney has been specifically opposed to net neutrality, saying the the government has now "interjected itself in how networks will be constructed and managed." The GOP's "network freedom" policy advocates reducing regulation on internet industries, including abolishing even the FCC's watered-down Open Internet rules, which Romney characterizes as the government picking "winners and losers in the marketplace."

This is a total failure to understand how the internet actually works and how much control broadband service providers have over the future of millions of startups and small businesses. The best public policy directs a vibrant free market to act in the best interests of the public by properly aligning incentives; Romney would allow the broadband industry to be ruled by radically misaligned profit incentives that defy common sense.

This is not some liberal fantasy nightmare this is happening now. This is the state of the market. Leaving the access industry to regulate itself in the absence of any meaningful competition is a recipe for disaster. The incentive for broadband companies to generate additional revenue by favoring certain companies and services over others is simply too strong to be left unchecked by regulation. FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski, appointed by Obama, has characterized his agency's role as "a cop on the beat"; Romney and the GOP would leave the information superhighway unpatrolled entirely.

There are many other valid reasons to vote for Obama from health insurance to women's issues to immigration policy, his platform offers the most complete path to recovery for a nation still badly damaged by a terrible recession and two costly wars. But true economic recovery requires more than just replacing what was lost; it requires building something new. The internet is the foundation for an entirely new economy, and it's vitally important we select a candidate that will protect it. In this election, that candidate is Barack Obama.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/5/3606378/editorial-why-i-am-voting-for-barack-obama
#2xxsniperxx31Posted 11/5/2012 3:49:05 PM
o u cutey mike_ u
---
| DFI P45-T2RS | E5200 @ 3.5GHz | 6GB DDR2 RAM | Crossfire HD5770s | Sandisk 120GB SSD | Antec 300 Illusion |
#pch3 @ pch-3.com
#3Freak ShowPosted 11/5/2012 3:52:03 PM
Voted Romney, suck it internet.
---
"The reason i love the $ store is I don't have to get all dressed up like I'm going to Wal-Mart or something" - Trailer trash on the news
#4Ork_HeroPosted 11/5/2012 3:53:18 PM
my dad will ground me if i don't vote for bama tho. Then I will never have internet
---
'Ere we go!
UK gamer girl
#5Mike_HD2(Topic Creator)Posted 11/5/2012 3:53:20 PM

TBH i can understand people voting for Romney, he's a real life magician. I mean you have to be to pull five trillion dollars out of thin air with no explanation.
#6Orestes417Posted 11/5/2012 3:55:00 PM
As if Romney being an unprincipled rich boy who tries to play both sides of more or less every issue weren't enough. Hell, be better off bringing Dubya back than voting for that clown. I don't have any great love for Obama, but until the Republicans grow a clue and get someone electable he'll be the only realistic choice.
---
All your questions can be answered, if that is what you want. But once you learn your answers, you can never unlearn them
#7TDragon777Posted 11/5/2012 3:55:34 PM
Mike_HD2 posted...

TBH i can understand people voting for Romney, he's a real life magician. I mean you have to be to pull five trillion dollars out of thin air with no explanation.

Obama already made trillions disappeared...
---
Name: Ant / FC: 1633-3850-8933 - BRAWL
#8Daz_man123Posted 11/5/2012 3:56:12 PM
Vote for the rich guy. Simple
#9Orestes417Posted 11/5/2012 3:56:57 PM
Nah. Obama was just sitting around when the bills for a decade or so worth of bad judgement came due.
---
All your questions can be answered, if that is what you want. But once you learn your answers, you can never unlearn them
#10Mike_HD2(Topic Creator)Posted 11/5/2012 3:57:43 PM
Mike_HD2 posted...

Obama already made trillions disappeared...

Good grammar there.