This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Minimum acceptable amount of USB ports on a computer?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Minimum acceptable amount of USB ports on a computer?
3 years ago#11
Currently using 9 on my desktop (+ USB hub), can go up to 11 with charging cables.
Wait... what?
3 years ago#12
Well the topic asks what the minimum acceptable amount is, so IMO that's 4. Mouse and keyboard, and 2 others for whatever. For me its my headset and controller. I prefer more for things like charging cables, and other peripherals but I could live with 4 easily enough.

All kind of pointless when you can just buy a hub if you had less ports.
2500k @ 4.2 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 7 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
3 years ago#13
Definitely 4 would be the minimum. Most people use at least 3 everyday items, so having 1 extra should be enough.
Solid's snake still shoots liquid, it's just that it's null.
3 years ago#14
Actually, my keyboard has two more USB ports too. USB ports everywhere...
Ooo eee, oo ah ah, ting tang, walla walla bing bang.
3 years ago#15
Considering hubs exist, one would suffice. Going with two though, for laptops
All your questions can be answered, if that is what you want. But once you learn your answers, you can never unlearn them
3 years ago#16
1. Mouse
2. Keyboard
3. External HDD
4. Phone
5. PS3 Controller
6. Xbox Controller
7. Headset
8. Bluetooth adapter
9. Flash Drive
3 years ago#17
Agree with 4 being minimum. Even though I use/prefer at least 6-8.

Hubs work, but unpowered ones really limit your options for more power hungry devices.
3 years ago#18
Since I only use my desktop for gaming, pretty much, I said 4. I use a ps/2 keyboard so that's one USB slot free. I've got one on the front to plug a mouse into, one for my bluetooth dongle for motioninjoy and an extension running from the back so that I can plug my PS3 controller in to charge. I'm not using any of the other USB ports right now.
Once we perfect building Mechs, I expect there to be a factory in Mexico pumping out a brand call Mechsican. I wanna buy me a Mechsican.
3 years ago#19
I bought a powered USB Hub because I ran out of USB ports... I don't use everything all at once, but I'm not going to reach back there every time just to use something for 5 minutes either.
3 years ago#20
Stupid poll considering in the OP you even wrote down two separate numbers.

On a laptop i can make do with two USB ports just fine, i rarely ever plug anything in other than flash drives. Don't need a mouse because the trackpad on my MBA isn't garbage.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Minimum acceptable amount of USB ports on a computer?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived