This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Indie-Horror Games/Mods?

#1eragonman9Posted 11/11/2012 2:19:50 PM(edited)
I've been in the mood for horror games lately. I've played all the "big" games like Slender (and all its variants), Ib, Ao Oni, Candles, the two SCP ones, Paranormal,and a few other assorted horror games, and others of which Pewdiepie has played (I don't care what you think of him). I've just started Cry of Fear, plan to play Grey, and I plan to purchase Amnesia soon.
I just want to know if there's any HL/HL2 mods or other big free Indie horror games I should play. Preferably, they should be more psychological horrors than ones filled with jumpscares.
---
*poke*
*jiggle*
#2BogePosted 11/11/2012 2:52:33 PM
I don't know about free indie games, but check Stalker and maybe Sanitarium. Just a couple that come to mind.
---
Punctuation goes a long way for comprehension.
#3eragonman9(Topic Creator)Posted 11/11/2012 3:23:07 PM
Well, I just found this page.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/mistake-1
It has quite a few HL mods on it.
---
*poke*
*jiggle*
#4YombieePosted 11/11/2012 3:26:47 PM
Cryostasis
Silent hill
Fatal Frame
Condemned
11th hour
13th guest
The Uninvited
#5sfcalimariPosted 11/11/2012 3:30:13 PM(edited)
The STALKER games in general have a really great atmosphere. Abandoned towns and countrysides never looked so bleak and beautiful, and the tension level is high. The mods for the games help...all three STALKER games can be modded with their own "Complete Mod" which really improves the graphics, fixes bugs, and makes the scenery and weather way more impressive. Generally they keep very close to the original feel of the games and mainly change how they look.

But if you want a bleaker atmosphere and tougher gameplay, then there are other mods, I've been using the OGSE mod for Shadow of Chernobyl in the last couple of days, which is pretty good but very tough. Definitely way tenser and bleaker feeling than the vanilla game or the Complete Mod game.

For Call of Pripyat I recently installed the Misery mod. I haven't really played any of it yet but I think it's a similar deal to OGSE, darker atmosphere and tougher gameplay.
---
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_md3yheXa841qbwtr5o1_500.gif
#6YombieePosted 11/11/2012 3:37:14 PM
How can you talk about SOC mods without mentioning Oblivion Lost + AMK?

Moving dynamic random anomalies, artifact crafting, more monsters, blowouts where every human runs to a shelter and fights for it, monsters that spawn after a blow out.

What I did is after installing OL+AMK, you edit the frequency of blowouts and make it so hordes of zombies spawn. What happens is a huge radioactive storm will come in and the skies will glow red with thunder and lightning and every stalker and bandit start to gun it for shelter. The ones who are left alive have to deal with a zombie horde upon exiting their shelter.

The amount of bullets you end up spending makes the game much more like a survival horror game. You can opt to dodge huge mobs of monsters or try to waste them, but that'll leave you low on ammo for human enemies. They also added driving in this mod and revamped stealth.
#7Kerr AvonPosted 11/11/2012 4:02:16 PM
Silent Hill 1 and 2 are very unnerving (though SH1 isn't on the PC, so you'd have to emulate it, but you don't need to have played SH1 to play SH2), as is the brilliant System Shock 2. Amnesia: Dark Descent is another unsettlingly atmospheric game. Some people say Bioshock 1 and 2 fall into this catagory too, but to me the faster moving, all-out-combat nature of the game diverts from the horror, which otherwise would be intense as the Bioshock games are very intense and atmospheric.

I'd say definitely try Silent Hill 2 and System Shock 2 (the latter seems like a FPS, but it's more melee based and there aren't too many enemies, just the ever present threat of a random encounter with something ready to take your life. It's actually a very good (very very good) RPG that you can play how you like, and is one of my favourite ever games).
---
"PCs don't catch viruses or malware. Stupid users do." - The Cranky Hermit.
For all things N64: http://z9.invisionfree.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/
#8LoonacyPosted 11/11/2012 4:14:14 PM
it isn't a PC game, but Eternal Darkness is easily one of my fav horror games out there.. try and find a way to play it.
---
"A myth is an image in terms of which we try to make sense of the world." ~ Alan Watts
#9eragonman9(Topic Creator)Posted 11/11/2012 4:35:49 PM
So, do you think I should play Silent Hill 1 before 2, or can I skip it?
I have the...means... to play both on PC.
---
*poke*
*jiggle*
#10Kerr AvonPosted 11/11/2012 4:53:37 PM
eragonman9 posted...
So, do you think I should play Silent Hill 1 before 2, or can I skip it?
I have the...means... to play both on PC.

I'd probably say play both. I can't tell you anything about SH3 or later, as I've only played 1 and 2, but they are both very good. There's not much action, just some problem solving and a lot of exploration, but they are two of the very few games that understand that what you don't see is always more terrifying than what you do see, and as a result there's not a lot on-screen to frighten you, but you are constantly aware that there are unknown things lurking outside of your vision, and the atmosphere is *very* well done (unlike in the Silent Hill film, or the Resident Evil games, which are totally different in atmosphere to the SH games, even though to people who've never played either franchise they look very similar).
---
"PCs don't catch viruses or malware. Stupid users do." - The Cranky Hermit.
For all things N64: http://z9.invisionfree.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/