This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Castlevania trailer looks pretty sick

#41MonkeymagePosted 7/31/2013 5:09:49 PM
TheOpposite posted...
I don't like how they rebooted the storyline of the series. They can throw out anything that happened after Bloodlines if they want since the whole Soma Cruz storyline is awful, but neglecting Trevor, Simon, Richter, etc. is not acceptable, nor is a 3D Castlevania in general.

If they really want to make a good Castlevania, make it a 2D sidescroller, use a similar graphics style to Rayman Origins, and use the person who did SotN's music.

Buuuut Trevor and Simon are in Mirror of Fate and LoS 2.
---
7.3 GHz Intel i9 7770k "Hollow Tree" / 64GB TDR4 RAM / GTX Titan 5 GK330 "Daghlian" Chipset, Dodeca-SLI
#42TheOppositePosted 7/31/2013 5:14:13 PM
That doesn't change the fact that they threw out the tie-ins to the actual story of Dracula with him being Vlad Tepes, and instead making Gabriel Belmont turn into Dracula at the end of the game.
#43Orestes417Posted 7/31/2013 5:16:10 PM
Yeah and that was a *GOOD* thing considering how much of a mess the old storylines had become. In case you weren't paying attention they've had several different versions of the mythos going on for a while now in alternate realities.
---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#44TheOppositePosted 7/31/2013 5:20:29 PM
There's still a basic established storyline of Castlevania III > Castlevania > RoB > SotN> Bloodlines. Those "alternate realities" are re-imaginings of other games in the series. Super Castlevania IV and Castlevania Chronicles are a redone Castlevania 1. Same gameplay different castle layout, you still fight Dracula at the end. There's no change to the story. Castlevania II obviously happens after Castlevania I so it's not an alternate reality. CotM isn't canon, but there isn't anything to suggest it couldn't be if they wanted it to.
#45Orestes417Posted 7/31/2013 5:24:49 PM
Forgetting Castlevania 64/LoD, Castlevania Legends, and Dracula X (which isn't the same as RoB)? Frankly the clean slate take on the mythos was the most interesting thing the series has done in a looooooooooong time story wise and it's a damn shame the second game will apparently end the arc.
---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#46AsellusPosted 8/1/2013 9:44:31 AM
they threw out the tie-ins to the actual story of Dracula with him being Vlad Tepes,

Didn't they do the same thing in LoI?
#47MonkeymagePosted 8/1/2013 9:47:16 AM
Asellus posted...
they threw out the tie-ins to the actual story of Dracula with him being Vlad Tepes,

Didn't they do the same thing in LoI?

Yes. In LoI, he was previously a nobleman named Matthias Cronqvist.

In LoS, I think I read somewhere that while Gabriel was "adopted" into the Belmont family, it is thought that his true father was Matthias Cronqvist
---
7.3 GHz Intel i9 7770k "Hollow Tree" / 64GB TDR4 RAM / GTX Titan 5 GK330 "Daghlian" Chipset, Dodeca-SLI
#48Zohar_MetatronPosted 8/1/2013 9:51:42 AM
Yeah, Lament already ditched that particular connection.

I thought that one had a good story, too, and it also was an entirely fresh slate for the most part. The core Castlavania canon is terrible, and the games that aren't trying to force six different connections to Dracula's Curse just because Igarashi loved Dracula's Curse are really the best ones.
---
By Grabthar's Hammer, what a savings.