This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Nvidia Shield comes out tomorrow

#51DarkZV2BetaPosted 7/31/2013 10:06:07 AM(edited)
GreenMage7 posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Is Snapdragon 800 on the market right now?
Also, Tegra 4 actually has better CPU-side performance. Snapdragon 800 has better GPU performance.
I don't want a massive, awkward screen, 720p is great for a 5" display, I can't play on my PC from my kitchen, bed, or bathroom, nor can I play it outside of my apartment. Do you work for AMD?

LMAO

720p is great for a 5" display? Wonder why every popular smartphone on the market has better resolution than that? Why would you want to play PC from your kitchen, bed, or bathroom? Especially that last one.

What one earth does AMD have to do with this at all? Absolutely nothing. You threw that in for no reason because you either A) actually work for Nvidia or B) are in super fanboy defense mode.

You're talking about a gaming device and you bring up that the processor in your CPU is worse as a plus? It's only job is to play games. That's the most important part. The Snapdragon 800 is basically crushing it. The CPU difference is almost nothing and in different benchmarks from the one below it actually wins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uKT6jQzJTU

Seriously, I have no idea where the AMD thing even came from. Is that just your go to defense or something, last time I checked they don't make a handheld gaming device and Qualcomm currently owns and makes Snapdragon CPUs...

Because they're not 5"? ~300ppi is no slouch.
Why not? A lot of my gaming is done in bed. It's comfortable.
I threw that in there because of how silly you sound asking if I work for nVidia.
CPU speed is important for emulation, which is a very large and high quality game library indeed. Also, the CPU difference was about the same as the GPU difference last I checked.
Also, you forgot to answer; what devices can I buy with Snapdragon 800 that are cheaper than Shield, have a longer battery life, and a clamshell design with a built in controller?
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
#52GreenMage7Posted 7/31/2013 10:05:27 AM
DarkZV2Beta posted...

Because they're not 5"? ~300ppi is no slouch.
Why not? A lot of my gaming is done in bed. It's comfortable.
I threw that in there because of how silly you sound asking if I work for nVidia.
CPU speed is important for emulation, which is a very large and high quality game library indeed. Also, the CPU difference was about the same as the GPU difference last I checked.

No it's not. Check the link.
#53lazycomplife(Topic Creator)Posted 7/31/2013 3:40:13 PM(edited)
ThePHiLsTeR posted...
Now that it is out, anyone buy this thing???

Edit: Probably lazycomplife. He keeps making topics about the shield.

I didn't buy it, I just thought it was a cool idea when it was initially announced. But it's actually kinda lame.

So... seriously?? Nobody on this board at all bought this thing??? I was hoping for at least one hands-on opinion.
---
Official Swinub
3DS Friend Code: 0602-6783-9027
#54patribrodPosted 7/31/2013 3:53:52 PM
Love_Me_Sexy posted...
zergslayer69 posted...
Now that I have a note 2, the screen on the shield is too small. Would have to be 6 inches or larger for me to consider.

I am surfing Gamefaqs on a Note II right now. Awesome phone.

Same here! Love it
---
FX8350 @ 4.5Ghz / ATI Sapphire 7870XT OCed / Patriot 64GB SSD / 2X1TB Hitachi 7200 / Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 / 12GB DDR3 ADATA / 750W C-Master GX / Corsair 300R
#55lazycomplife(Topic Creator)Posted 7/31/2013 3:57:00 PM
This guy really likes it:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2013/07/30/skyrim-in-bed-the-nvidia-shield-review/
---
Official Swinub
3DS Friend Code: 0602-6783-9027
#56ThePHiLsTeRPosted 7/31/2013 4:21:10 PM
lazycomplife posted...
This guy really likes it:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2013/07/30/skyrim-in-bed-the-nvidia-shield-review/

I got to say that the article sounds very convincing. Then the moment I think about the actual product I think wow this thing is still something I wouldn't use!

I guess if you are into this as in you are part of the niche target group this product is awesome (according to article as long as he is not sugar coating the shield)
---
i5-2500k, azrock z68 Gen3 Extreme 3, 8g ram, win7, crossfire sapphire 6850, 256gb Samsung 840, CM QuickFirePro Brown Switches, Korean IPS monitor, Playstation 3
#57DarkZV2BetaPosted 7/31/2013 5:30:55 PM
There's actually quite a few positive articles about the shield. Outside of major console-centric review sites that rely on high software prices to stay relevant, the general consensus is that the device is awesome for what it is, but clearly a niche product.
Not much different from buying a soundcard and some nice headphones, or obsessing over refreshrate or colour accuracy on a display. Not everyone gets it, but that's not what it's there for.
---
Want that Shield!
#58ThePHiLsTeRPosted 7/31/2013 5:43:04 PM(edited)
DarkZV2Beta posted...
There's actually quite a few positive articles about the shield. Outside of major console-centric review sites that rely on high software prices to stay relevant, the general consensus is that the device is awesome for what it is, but clearly a niche product.
Not much different from buying a soundcard and some nice headphones, or obsessing over refreshrate or colour accuracy on a display. Not everyone gets it, but that's not what it's there for.

Well the thing is one of its abilities is to play android games. I think that will make most gamers go o0. I mean for me I only play android games when I'm desperate. Like Im caught waiting for something such as at the dentist. There's nothing else to do! Even then most of the time I just browse the internet. Andoid games aren't that good. The top android games provide SOME amount of fun but nothing lasting.

(Also I understand it has other capabilties, but one of its biggest is the android)
---
i5-2500k, azrock z68 Gen3 Extreme 3, 8g ram, win7, crossfire sapphire 6850, 256gb Samsung 840, CM QuickFirePro Brown Switches, Korean IPS monitor, Playstation 3
#59MitsufreakPosted 7/31/2013 5:46:32 PM
No and here's why!

I love Nvidia and all but not enough to buy a shield.
#60DarkZV2BetaPosted 7/31/2013 6:21:48 PM
Really? I see quite a few interesting Android titles around, as well as ports of classic games to Android.
Being an open market, it's not like people can't make whatever the market demands for it, though. If there's a demand for quality titles, the void will be filled. It's not like 3DS or Vita, where it has to pass Sony marketing dept approval.
---
Want that Shield!