This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Nvidia Shield comes out tomorrow

#71DerPancakePosted 7/31/2013 9:57:32 PM
All I can say is:

"Its a bit ahead of its time"
---
i7-4770k | EVGA GeForce GTX770 2GB | Asus Sabertooth Z87 | Corsair Vengeance 8GB RAM
Samsung 840 120GB SSD | CM Storm Enforcer | Corsair TX 750 Watt
#72somebody336Posted 7/31/2013 10:17:35 PM
Cant afford it :p
#73Devil_wings00Posted 7/31/2013 10:52:41 PM
meh I honestly don't see peoples excitement for the streaming feature. If you don't want to play at your desk grab an HDMI cable and a gamepad and have at it on your nearest TV. Also has the added benefit of not having the games scrunched up on a tiny screen. I have a pretty new smart phone/tablet so all I'm missing out on is the controller for android games which really isn't much a loss.

Not for me and honestly can't see it being for many others either. Maybe if the streaming feature breaks out of the confines of your own wifi network it will be worth looking at. As it stands now it strikes me as a really niche novelty item for those who already have every other piece of consumer electronics available for purchase. It's neat but not 300 bucks neat for what amounts to a concept car of the consumer electronics world.
---
3570k @ 1.260v - 4.6Ghz, GTX 580 @ 980/2106, ASUS Sabertooth z77, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHZ, Intel 335 SSD (boot).
#74Devil_wings00Posted 7/31/2013 11:07:16 PM
KURRUPTOR posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
ITT: Hipsters hate on things they don't understand.

Wouldn't it have to be something popular to make hating on it the "hipster" thing to do? Currently hating on the shield is just following the crowd if anything...

Ya but the crowd is often times quite right ;p The crowd is just asking a simple question, why do I need this? It's a question that all consumers have to ask before they buy something and for a great majority this is one of those devices that has a very small group that actually come up with a compelling answer.

I'm part of the "crowd" because this device seems pretty useless to someone like me who has an android tablet/smart phone to play games from that ecosystem on (which the vast majority are designed with touch screens in mind, not controllers) and I already stream my PC games to my nearby TV so that feature is useless to me. So the two big draws this thing has are not compelling to me. I have a feeling quite a few others fall into my situation thus why this thing is getting the collective "what's the point?".
---
3570k @ 1.260v - 4.6Ghz, GTX 580 @ 980/2106, ASUS Sabertooth z77, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHZ, Intel 335 SSD (boot).
#75GreenMage7Posted 8/1/2013 12:05:32 AM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Wow, what an agenda. How much are you getting paid for that?

If only people got paid for having common sense. =)
#76ajko000Posted 8/1/2013 12:10:35 AM
This is the first I'm hearing of this, enlighten me?
#77GreenMage7Posted 8/1/2013 12:15:15 AM
ajko000 posted...

Not much to enlighten you about. Information here:

http://shield.nvidia.com/

After that, you can read this thread see general response of people around here. As an actual consumer device, 5% or less people find this thing worthwhile it seems. If it's your type of thing you can order one from that page. You can read this thread for feedback.
#78ajko000Posted 8/1/2013 12:20:42 AM
GreenMage7 posted...
ajko000 posted...

Not much to enlighten you about. Information here:

http://shield.nvidia.com/

After that, you can read this thread see general response of people around here. As an actual consumer device, 5% or less people find this thing worthwhile it seems. If it's your type of thing you can order one from that page. You can read this thread for feedback.

Oh, wait yeah I saw this before a while back. Kinda funny hehe.
#79overkillwfo1978Posted 8/1/2013 1:42:46 AM
Wonder what the first day sales were. 6, maybe 7 units??
---
"Even if you go by the cheapest price the game has ever been anywhere, psn+ would still be cheaper by at least 3 fold". DemonDog on psn+ vs. Steam
#80ThePHiLsTeRPosted 8/1/2013 3:56:12 AM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/07/30/nvidia-shield-launches-july-31st-here-are-127-games-optimized-for-shields-controls-and-our-picks-for-the-top-20/

I thought this was a pretty nice listing of games, tbh.

OK here's my critique.
Dead Trigger and ShadowGun look like fun for an android game. If im waiting at the dentist, yea these games should provide SOME fun. I wouldn't want to play these games long term. Why? Because PC games do it eons better. I have several zombie shooters like l4d2 and killing floor. ShadowGun looks like a gears of war clone. I rather play these games on big screen and with keyboard/mouse.

GTA3 and Vice city are cool but I have yet to play GTA 4 and liberty cities which I own. Why would I play the older games?

Same could be said for the rest of the games on the list.

Symphony of Eternity looks appealing because of the jrpg drought and basically any jrpg fan would be desperate to get their hands on one. Yet I gripe because to play it I'd have to play on a small screen. I owned a psp for a while. I manage to beat a couple games Crisis core and Metal Gear Solid Portable ops. But after those games I just couldn't stomach the small screen. Not everyone likes small screen which narrows the target audience of the Shield.

I'm not in anyway hating on the shield. After reading some reviews I can see why SOME people would want this thing. But for most gamers like me this thing is useless. I wouldn't even use this thing if you gave it to me for free. Maybe the 5 minutes I spend on the crapper? I no longer suffer from constipation however (unfortunately for the Shield).
---
i5-2500k, azrock z68 Gen3 Extreme 3, 8g ram, win7, crossfire sapphire 6850, 256gb Samsung 840, CM QuickFirePro Brown Switches, Korean IPS monitor, Playstation 3