This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Nvidia Shield comes out tomorrow

#91lkmanPosted 8/2/2013 7:08:35 AM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/07/30/nvidia-shield-launches-july-31st-here-are-127-games-optimized-for-shields-controls-and-our-picks-for-the-top-20/

I thought this was a pretty nice listing of games, tbh.

Meanwhile on steam,

http://shield.nvidia.com/play-pc-games/

1/100 games you can play here.
#92KURRUPTORPosted 8/2/2013 7:35:32 AM
lkman posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/07/30/nvidia-shield-launches-july-31st-here-are-127-games-optimized-for-shields-controls-and-our-picks-for-the-top-20/

I thought this was a pretty nice listing of games, tbh.

Meanwhile on steam,

http://shield.nvidia.com/play-pc-games/

1/100 games you can play here.

So you can't even play most games via the streaming feature?! And the streaming feature is still in beta to boot...

Sounds like they are releasing it before it's finished because they already pushed it back for so long. I always thought it could stream any game from your PC, now it sounds like each game has to be specifically coded to be capable of streaming, and the game selection as of right now looks pretty limited.

It's hard to imagine how they pulled it off but somehow they made this product look even worse now.
---
Drugs are never the answer, unless the question is what isn't the answer.
#93KURRUPTORPosted 8/2/2013 7:36:29 AM
Also have any of the Shield Defenders bought one of these yet? Does the streaming actually work well?
---
Drugs are never the answer, unless the question is what isn't the answer.
#94GreenMage7Posted 8/2/2013 7:50:15 AM(edited)
I'm very much on the *Shield is not worth the money and was a horrible idea.* bandwagon, but apparently more games than what they list work on it. One of the reviews said it did. The list is just officially compatible or whatever. However, you do apparently have to have an Nvidia GPU, which I couldn't find any evidence otherwise, and actually doesn't make sense. Sure, you might think it makes sense because it's an Nvidia device, but if you actually know how PC streaming works it really doesn't make that much sense. There are already some programs that do that and they don't require one type of GPU. Perhaps it doesn't and they are just saying that, but for some reason it actually says "select Nvidia GPUs" so why would they do that if it was just for marketing. If they actually messed up PC streaming somehow that it only works with their certain newer cards, then this is an even worse prodcut...
#95Marioface5Posted 8/3/2013 3:52:18 AM(edited)
GreenMage7 posted...
I'm very much on the *Shield is not worth the money and was a horrible idea.* bandwagon, but apparently more games than what they list work on it. One of the reviews said it did. The list is just officially compatible or whatever. However, you do apparently have to have an Nvidia GPU, which I couldn't find any evidence otherwise, and actually doesn't make sense. Sure, you might think it makes sense because it's an Nvidia device, but if you actually know how PC streaming works it really doesn't make that much sense. There are already some programs that do that and they don't require one type of GPU. Perhaps it doesn't and they are just saying that, but for some reason it actually says "select Nvidia GPUs" so why would they do that if it was just for marketing. If they actually messed up PC streaming somehow that it only works with their certain newer cards, then this is an even worse prodcut...

Taken from their support page:

NVIDIA uses the H.264 encoder built into GeForce GTX 650 or higher desktop GPUs along with special streaming software integrated into GeForce experience to stream games from the PC to SHIELD over the user's home Wi-fi network with ultra-low latency.

---
The world gets weirder every day.
PSN: Marioface5
#96DarkZV2BetaPosted 8/3/2013 9:10:43 AM
lazycomplife posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Shield isn't a replacement for a gaming PC. Nothing is or ever will be. It's a handheld device.

It's not meant to be a replacement... Maybe you haven't read anything about it, but it's an addon that acts like a Wii U gamepad connected to your PC. It basically does the same thing, except plays android games on the go.

Right. It, with a compatible GTX6 series card, is more or less the PC gaming equivalent to Vita and PS4.
It's like the kickass PC of handheld gaming.
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
#97roos1046 RebornPosted 8/3/2013 9:37:55 AM
zergslayer69 posted...
Now that I have a note 2, the screen on the shield is too small. Would have to be 6 inches or larger for me to consider.

we have a size queen here
---
When did I realize I was God? Well, I was praying and I suddenly realized I was talking to myself.
#98lazycomplife(Topic Creator)Posted 8/3/2013 10:05:42 AM
ThePHiLsTeR posted...
Can someone explain to me why this topic hasn't been modded for being off-topic while my nvidia shield topic and someone else's were modded?

It actually did get modded, then I appealed and it got reposted. The mods didn't know that shield is basically a PC peripheral.
---
Official Swinub
3DS Friend Code: 0602-6783-9027