This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

*Plays RE6 for 20 mins*.... *uninstalls*

#31KOTRwhoopsPosted 7/31/2013 4:51:45 AM(edited)
Dark_Spiret posted...
KOTRwhoops posted...
Whether this game bears the Resident Evil name or not, it's a badly designed, below average game that should not be recommended.
the game has some bad design choices, theres no denying that, but i fail to see how its overall a bad game. Theres not a lot of stuff that id even call bad in it. maybe mediocre at the very worst. Most of the game uses the same design setups that are in majority of action games today(including the famed RE4 and especially 5) only possibly a little less polished in areas, but i dont recall any part of the game that didnt work to at least to some degree.

I can only go by personal experience, I have played a lot of games over the years and I found this to be an average experience at the very best. I found the game to be all over the place, the combat wasn't satisfying, the upgrade system was crap compared to the previous 2 games, the gameplay was floaty and unenjoyable, the enemy design was uninspired, some of the QTEs were ridiculous (especially at the end of Leon's campaign), the game felt really unpolished in terms of graphics (in dome areas) but particularity the gameplay... I can go on.

But the worst thing for me by far is that it tries to be a jack of all trades with the different campaigns and ended up with 3 very average ones. This meant the game lost focus. Also the story, even for RE game was appalling, it was cheesy but not in a good way like previous games. The action sequences were absolutely ridiculous and completely out of place and instead of enjoying them I found myself rolling my eyes, it was like a teenage wet dream.

To put it in perspective, I'm a huge RE fan and I have completed all the previous numbered games at least 5 times each and have enjoyed them massively in their own right and I will go back and play them again, RE6, played once and I zero have desire to touch it again. Something must be wrong.

It failed me as a Resident Evil game (it is in my top 3 biggest disappointments in my 20+ years of gaming) but as I said before it failed me as a good game in its own right. Again, another way of looking at it is that Resident Evil 4 initially failed me as a Resident Evil game, but won me over in its own right as it was an absolutely superb game. Resident Evil 6 did not do that and did not even come close to it.

Rant over. I know you won't agree with me, but this is my honest opinion based on my experience and I've tried to explain myself clearly and fairly. There's not much more I can do really. On the flip side I do understand that people will like the game as it does have some good things going for it, but I struggle to see why anyone would class this as a great game.
---
PLAYING - Xenoblade (Wii), Fire Emblem: A (3DS), Pikmin 3 (WU)
MOST WANTED - GTAV, Lightning Returns, FFXV, Watchdogs, X, KHIII
#32MarceloSampaioPosted 7/31/2013 4:50:03 AM
RE stopped being RE since 4.

If its good or bad, its up to you, depending on your preferences.
---
Blackwell series: One of the best point-and-click adventures ever. As long as you don't mind the simple graphics.
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/13237/
#33SirisS-G-PPosted 7/31/2013 4:54:09 AM
Best Resident Evil ever. I just wish more people played it online. I don't understand why people enjoyed the slow pace (almost turn base) style of RE 1,2,3. What a snore fest those game were.
#34ElNachoCheesePosted 7/31/2013 5:59:56 AM
I completely agree. I've loved resident evil since the first. I know they were a bit different, but I even like 4 & 5 a lot. But this game to me was pretty much an unplayable piece of garbage. I tried to force myself to play as much as I could, but just gave up. This series needs a big, big overhaul.
---
Steam: ElNachoCheese
PSN: ElNachoCheese
#35KaushadPosted 7/31/2013 6:29:06 AM
SirisS-G-P posted...
Best Resident Evil ever. I just wish more people played it online. I don't understand why people enjoyed the slow pace (almost turn base) style of RE 1,2,3. What a snore fest those game were.

Because not everything has to be a fast paced shooter?
---
I stopped watching comedy on TV when I found the jimquisition and zero punctuation.
#36KURRUPTORPosted 7/31/2013 6:35:43 AM
Drelkag posted...
Resident Evil means more 'good co-op game' than 'survival horror' to me now.

Yeah, just accept the franchise for what it is now and you can still enjoy it. I haven't played RE6 yet but despite all the horrible reviews and hate that RE5 got I still enjoyed playing the campaign twice with different friends.

It's not really survival horror anymore but it still has the RE super-mutated weird bosses, and evil corporate viral testing and whatnot. It keeps a few of the old themes around but it's more of an action game now.

The QTE's are annoying as hell though (at least in RE5 they were). Some of the buttom combinations they made you click on a keyboard were just terrible combos (F+V i believe was by far the most annoying to try to quickly click). The cut-scenes in RE5 were by far the hardest parts of the game... which was annoying beyond all belief. Glad to hear they added the option to remove them in RE6.
---
Drugs are never the answer, unless the question is what isn't the answer.
#37Killah PriestPosted 7/31/2013 6:36:14 AM
Best resident evil ever.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#38Dark_SpiretPosted 7/31/2013 7:10:57 AM
KOTRwhoops posted...
Rant over. I know you won't agree with me, but this is my honest opinion based on my experience and I've tried to explain myself clearly and fairly. There's not much more I can do really. On the flip side I do understand that people will like the game as it does have some good things going for it, but I struggle to see why anyone would class this as a great game.
Fair enough.

Thing is i dont necessarily disagree with you about most of your complaints and i wouldnt call this a great game, far from it. i just dont feel those complaints amounted to the point to really hurt the overall experience too much. The game even with its messy nature still has a lot going for it. its enemies were no worse than RE4 and in terms of bosses were FAR more creative than 5's who were nothing but goo monsters. The games design has a ton of diversity in everything from the enemies to the locations, art designs, scenarios, set-pieces ect. with the exception of the few reoccurring enemies and areas you were always seeing or doing something different. It never particularly felt boring unlike 5 which basically had you plow through hordes of enemies with nothing else going on for large chunks of time. atleast in the older games you had puzzles and backtracking and a bigger emphasis on item management to content with.

In terms of the story they fallowed the RE5 syndrome of overly serious tone and not pulling it off well(but 5's cutscenes were damn sexy) and while 6 fallows they do improve on a few areas like the voice acting which is the bets in the series and the characterization between piers and chris and sherry and jake were BY FAR the best the series has ever had. So while it wasnt nothing amazing i did think some of the story aspects did make some strides for the series. Personally i liked the setup they used as well with each campaign showing off a little bit of the story with the 4th campaign patching it all together. could have been handled better, but i did like the idea. Also i actually liked the over the topness in the game with EXPLOSIONS every 5min. this isnt RE, it hasnt been for a long time. I just sat back and enjoyed the shear audacity of the situations. i thought it was very entertaining. stupid, but entertaining.

The combat however is the only thing i flat out disagree with you on, but i can see why you might not have liked it. the game has a serious problem with conveying information to the player. this games' combat system is probably the most indepth iv seen for a tps and capcom seemed to have left out the tutorial that explains even half of what you can do with it. Once you tweak the camera and FoV and actually look up how to approach the mechanics it shows off a pretty fantastic system. the sliding(which can be used to stun enemies and plant c4 for a quick getaway), the rolling (both on the ground and side to side), the diving back to avoid fire along with ducking to avoid thrown weapons. The melee system which is actually directional(hitting them on the side delivers a more powerful strike, coming up behind them offers a one hit kill. if enemies are near objects you fan do automatic finishers on them) and allows for combos, power attacks, counter attacks and finishers. the stamina also has multiple levels of regaining from laying down, using the cover system or performing finishers. The quickshot ability actually has multiple ones depending on the weapon you have equipped from a single shot to the ability to clear entire rooms with a sort of "uber" quickshot ability like with leons dual pistols or Helenas sawed-off. A few quirks aside i just thought the whole thing came off really well, but wasnt shown to the player well enough. In terms of the actual shooting i thought it was fine with the exception of the camera being too far to the side of the character.

---
Currently playing: Jagged Alliance 2 - Divine Divinity - Shadowrun Returns
#39Dark_SpiretPosted 7/31/2013 7:11:30 AM
RE is also my favorite series with RE2, REmake and 4 being in my top 10 games of all time. When i went into 6 it was pure disappointment. there is no getting around that. it was devastating and the lack of quality especially from 5 (which i feel is the most polished in the series). however i did go back to it and approached it knowing its nothing more than a simple action game and i found my self getting into its dumb nature more and more. Its definitely not a great game, but there enough stupid fun there, be it the sheer crazyness of the campaigns, the coop, online modes or the mercenaries minigame(which i feel is the best in the series) to come out feeling some enjoyment of it.

just like you said, its just my 2 cents on something were not going to see eye to eye on.

*breaths in*

and done.
---
Currently playing: Jagged Alliance 2 - Divine Divinity - Shadowrun Returns
#40BogePosted 7/31/2013 9:46:14 AM
Resident Evil used to be my all time favorite gaming series. Once 4 came out and changed the series, I wasn't a fan anymore.
---
There is a reason why we learned to spell and punctuate when we were five years old.