This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

WHAT is going on with my PC?

#1SuperGamer5Posted 7/30/2013 9:08:06 PM
So I bought this DVD drive off newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204 because my current one had gone to crap. Anyway, I install this ASUS drive and it wants me to go into my BIOS. I skip that and attempt to boot into Windows (8 64-bit). It BSODs, and I shut it off. I try a different drive I had laying around, and it attempts a system recovery, but then boots and BSODs. What the hell is happening? My computer was perfectly fine up until I installed that ASUS drive. And now I fear the worst.

Does anyone know what happened?
---
No one man should have all that power.
#2DarkZV2BetaPosted 7/30/2013 9:20:40 PM
Didn't set your drive priorities in BIOS.
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
#3SuperGamer5(Topic Creator)Posted 7/30/2013 9:22:16 PM
DarkZV2Beta posted...

How the hell did I forget this?

That said, what should I go about doing now?

It keeps sitting at an "attempting repairs" screen.
---
#4Fade2black001Posted 7/30/2013 9:42:26 PM
SuperGamer5 posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...

Restart system boot into BIOS and fix the drive order/boot
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#5SuperGamer5(Topic Creator)Posted 7/30/2013 9:50:00 PM
Fade2black001 posted...
SuperGamer5 posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...

I just took a look at that. It looks like my main HDD is still #1 in my boot order, followed by that spare DVD drive I threw in. Now I'm even more puzzled...
---
#6Fade2black001Posted 7/30/2013 10:00:03 PM
SuperGamer5 posted...
Fade2black001 posted...
SuperGamer5 posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...

I just took a look at that. It looks like my main HDD is still #1 in my boot order, followed by that spare DVD drive I threw in. Now I'm even more puzzled...

Can you access safe mode? I wouldn't think you needed to install drivers for the thing. SO bad drivers is out of question. I don't know im just as puzzled as you are...
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#7SuperGamer5(Topic Creator)Posted 7/30/2013 10:01:38 PM
I'll have to see if I can access safe mode. The way it's been going is, attempt to repair, fail, boot, BSOD, repeat.

I just don't get it. How can installing an optical drive do something like this?
---
#8SuperGamer5(Topic Creator)Posted 7/30/2013 11:16:52 PM
So safe mode pulled up just fine. The plot thickens. Doesn't really help my confusion.

Anyone have any thoughts?
---
#9Black_King945Posted 7/30/2013 11:30:23 PM
Windows 8 manufactured computers have been the biggest source of frustration I have ever experienced in my IT career.

Adding drives, graphics cards, boot interruptions, sneezing too hard near the machine, it seems the slightest aggravation will send these fragile OS installs into a tailspin.

My custom builds are all running clean installs of Windows 8 OEM and they have had zero issues, which is telling.

Try the system restore option built into Windows and pray it works, Asus offers no options for Windows 8 recovery, it seems they get it on the drive with a long dead voodoo, and offer no recovery disc creation utility or even recovery disc purchase. If anything happens to the install, which it will, their recommendation is to send it to their facility where they have trained Shamans available to recite the necessary incantations.

I'm assuming you have already disconnected the drive and tried booting that way?
---
i7 3770K | Asus Maximus V Gene | 16GB Gskill | Asus 660ti | Seasonic 500W
#10SuperGamer5(Topic Creator)Posted 7/30/2013 11:33:38 PM(edited)
Black_King945 posted...
Windows 8 manufactured computers have been the biggest source of frustration I have ever experienced in my IT career.

Adding drives, graphics cards, boot interruptions, sneezing too hard near the machine, it seems the slightest aggravation will send these fragile OS installs into a tailspin.

My custom builds are all running clean installs of Windows 8 OEM and they have had zero issues, which is telling.

Try the system restore option built into Windows and pray it works, Asus offers no options for Windows 8 recovery, it seems they get it on the drive with a long dead voodoo, and offer no recovery disc creation utility or even recovery disc purchase. If anything happens to the install, which it will, their recommendation is to send it to their facility where they have trained Shamans available to recite the necessary incantations.

I'm assuming you have already disconnected the drive and tried booting that way?

Yup, I'm posting from my computer right now with no drive connected.. I've got it in safe mode with networking.

I'm actually running the computer I built myself, with fresh OEM Windows 8. The ASUS drive was just the one that looked the best on newegg, because the LG drive I had wasn't reading discs. Automatic repair didn't work too well, so I'll have to see in a little bit here whether or not system restore does anything. Right now I'm backing up all my music, because that's the one thing I'd really be upset to lose. My photos are already backed up, and I've got Steam Cloud enabled on everything that supports it.
---