This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

WHAT is going on with my PC?

#11Confirmer9Posted 7/30/2013 10:35:56 PM
Well...

Will it boot without a drive being hooked up? If not:

Make sure the drive/s are set to Cable select or master/slave. Try both setups and see if anything changes.

Reset the BIOS.

Boot from a Windows CD and try to run error checking.
---
No Ness in EB 2 because: Uncontrollable sphere left a present. Ness opens it. It's a BOMB! Ness takes it.(seconds later he explodes into a million pieces)
#12Black_King945Posted 7/30/2013 10:42:46 PM
Apologies, I sort of assumed you had a prebuilt system and used it as a convenient avenue for a Windows 8 rant.

Have you been able to test to LG drive in any other system? How old was it and when did it stop working?

Also, what is your general PC building experience?

With how simple disc drives are, I would assume an installation error or possible SATA connection issue before I would assume the disc drive itself was bad, especially when a second drive causes a catastrophic system crash.
---
i7 3770K | Asus Maximus V Gene | 16GB Gskill | Asus 660ti | Seasonic 500W
#13SuperGamer5(Topic Creator)Posted 7/30/2013 10:52:09 PM
Black_King945 posted...
Apologies, I sort of assumed you had a prebuilt system and used it as a convenient avenue for a Windows 8 rant.

Have you been able to test to LG drive in any other system? How old was it and when did it stop working?

Also, what is your general PC building experience?

With how simple disc drives are, I would assume an installation error or possible SATA connection issue before I would assume the disc drive itself was bad, especially when a second drive causes a catastrophic system crash.

Nah, I suppose I really didn't make it clear in the OP. Although I must say, other than this, I personally really like Windows 8.

As for the LG drive, I bought it in June of 2012, and it was meh from the start and just got worse. I've already thrown it out. I had had the LG drive for maybe a month when I had troubles installing Battlefield 3 and Mass Effect 3 from a disc.

This was the first computer I've put together, and I still had assistance when doing so. I know my way around a computer, but I'm not too good at physically putting the parts together.

I thought perhaps it was a SATA connection issue as well, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I just swapped out the SATA power and data cables from the LG drive to this ASUS one and powered it on. It brought me to some AMI screen where I tried to just boot to Windows, and that's where this all started.
---
No one man should have all that power.
#14SuperGamer5(Topic Creator)Posted 7/30/2013 11:06:59 PM
Wat. Just wat.

I shut my computer down from safe mode and turned it back on. It booted up normally. As in, no BSODs or anything. The first time I tried booting up normally without a drive, it still gave me a BSOD. It seems like everything booted up rather slow, but now it seems fine.

But whatever. I don't even know anymore.
---
#15SuperGamer5(Topic Creator)Posted 7/31/2013 12:57:29 PM
My computer has been booting up fine, but I think I'll have to end up doing a system restore. Things seem to be a bit sluggish, and Steam shows an update dialog box for a split second then quits.

*sigh* All this trouble to install a f***ing optical drive.
---
#16Davel23Posted 7/31/2013 1:12:12 PM
Confirmer9 posted...
Well...

Will it boot without a drive being hooked up? If not:

Make sure the drive/s are set to Cable select or master/slave. Try both setups and see if anything changes.

Reset the BIOS.

Boot from a Windows CD and try to run error checking.

Master/slave? Cable select? You do know it's 2013, right?
---
Your mom's box.
#17SuperGamer5(Topic Creator)Posted 7/31/2013 6:59:17 PM
Still can't get Steam to open, starting up is still rather sluggish. I think something's still wrong. I guess I'll have to attempt a system restore from a week and a half ago. Better make a list of all my Skyrim mods...
---