This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Teleglitch is an awesome roguelike

#11Bronxsta(Topic Creator)Posted 8/3/2013 1:52:04 PM
CammyApple posted...
And remember, the can-gun hurts you.

Also which level 2?

I don't remember which the specific name was, but it was a military area
---
You had my curiosity...
...but now you have my attention.
#12CammyApplePosted 8/3/2013 1:52:39 PM
Bronxsta posted...
CammyApple posted...

Also which level 2?

Yeah, I prefer the farm.
---
Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.
#13Bronxsta(Topic Creator)Posted 8/3/2013 1:58:40 PM
CammyApple posted...
Bronxsta posted...
CammyApple posted...

Also which level 2?

Yeah, I prefer the farm.

Well I'm back to square one so I'll try the farm next.
---
You had my curiosity...
#14uhohjonahPosted 8/3/2013 3:46:48 PM
I just played the demo o_o

Looks like I'll be spending $13 soon.
---
Not changing this sig until Monster Hunter 4 comes out in US
#15wizardmonPosted 8/3/2013 4:30:57 PM
Never enough ammo, it seems like the game is designed in a way that you are supposed to knife 80% of the monsters out there.
Got to level 2 seven times, died each time because my health just gets whittled down knife fighting things to death.
I've never managed to use my explosives on a wall or anything - always was forced to use them on a mob chasing me down a hallway. Shotgun seems less effective than a pistol in most cases too, everything I shoot with it seems to get right back up.
Eat canned meat as soon as you get it, health gained from that can go above 100. Medkits can only be used when you have less than 100 health.
Bullets don't come directly from the player, they actually leave the gun realistically. Unfortunately the knife acts the same way so you have to slightly angle yourself to reliably stab monsters.
I don't like the distortion effect, because it's way too over the top. I've wasted ammo/didn't use enough ammo multiple times shooting rapidly at a mob, only to see that the things I was shooting at already died/the things I shot at are still running at me.
Despite the "Random levels" each of the levels I've played multiple times will always have a set number of specific locations just at a different angle/location.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#16CammyApplePosted 8/3/2013 7:26:28 PM
wizardmon posted...
Never enough ammo, it seems like the game is designed in a way that you are supposed to knife 80% of the monsters out there.
Got to level 2 seven times, died each time because my health just gets whittled down knife fighting things to death.
I've never managed to use my explosives on a wall or anything - always was forced to use them on a mob chasing me down a hallway. Shotgun seems less effective than a pistol in most cases too, everything I shoot with it seems to get right back up.
Eat canned meat as soon as you get it, health gained from that can go above 100. Medkits can only be used when you have less than 100 health.
Bullets don't come directly from the player, they actually leave the gun realistically. Unfortunately the knife acts the same way so you have to slightly angle yourself to reliably stab monsters.
I don't like the distortion effect, because it's way too over the top. I've wasted ammo/didn't use enough ammo multiple times shooting rapidly at a mob, only to see that the things I was shooting at already died/the things I shot at are still running at me.
Despite the "Random levels" each of the levels I've played multiple times will always have a set number of specific locations just at a different angle/location.

Much of this is true. The random levels for example. But that is the nature of most rogue-likes. Ammo I'm either swimming in or there is none to be found. The shotgun for me is beefy. Let things get close and one shot them.
---
Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.
#17Bronxsta(Topic Creator)Posted 8/3/2013 8:50:49 PM
Personally I love the distortion effect. IMO it gives the guns a visual sense of power and weight that wouldn't readily be apparent with the graphics style.

Ah, so that's what canned meat does? I thought it was used a bait to distract enemies...no wonder I died on level 2
---
You had my curiosity...
#18Bronxsta(Topic Creator)Posted 8/3/2013 8:57:38 PM
CammyApple posted...
Rogue-likes are among my favorite games. It's interesting that a "Souls" game helped transition you into them. The Souls games are almost the opposite of a rogue-like. Everything is static.

Keep in mind I loved them enough to buy Demon's twice and Dark once.

As for Teleglitch, which I keep wanting to call Telefrag, I was worried that the lack of controller support would be iffy but it's not. I've only made it to level 2 in the few runs I had time for. I'll likely never "finish" it. I still have yet to ascend in Nethack.

Well before them, I never touched hard games. Then I took the plunge after reading some amazing player stories about the survival horror atmosphere and tales of desperation. But they eased me into that sense of accepting the inevitable defeat and playing smart and cautious and fearing death around every corner. If it weren't for those games, I wouldn't even have tried games like Super Meat Boy or Super Hexagon

And now roguelikes are my favorite genres after stealth. The randomness, always being on your toes, not knowing if what lie around the corner or behind that door is supplies or a weapon or a horde of enemies. The fear of being low on everything and running into a dangerous situation and the thrill of overcoming.
---
You had my curiosity...
#19imowfacesPosted 8/3/2013 9:11:32 PM
where can i try the demo i dont see it on the steam page or website.
---
3570k@ 4.8 | Maximus V formula | Swifttech H220 | Intel 520 180gb SSD | 8GB Gskill Sniper 1866 | Gtx 780 sc Acx (pic) >> http://i.imgur.com/i2SO91l.jpg
#20lionheart5656Posted 8/3/2013 10:45:40 PM
Bronxsta posted...
Has anyone played Teleglitch?

After reading nothing but praise on NeoGAF, I finally tried the demo...and it's awesome. #1 on my Wishlist now. Love the art style and the distortion when you fire your weapon, the weapons sound and feel powerful, the tension is palpable

Last moments before I died (on level 1): being chased by a pack of...things, low on ammo, health flashing red, drop an explosive behind me, take out most of the pack, down to six rounds, trying to make each shot count. I make it, go through a door, get swarmed, panic to equip my one use rocket launcher...and miss the shot. I survived 13 minutes.

You have to react fast and smart. In those last moments, I was split second away from turning and firing, then I remembered I had explosives, and that I can drop them.

The art style may turn some off, but it doesn't bother me and gives the game personality

I used to hate difficulty games, now I love roguelikes (well modern ones). All fhanks to Demon's Souls. I truly feel that Teleglicth is an excellent addition to the roguelike genre.

Here's where I got the demo from:
http://www.gamefront.com/files/22719...Demo__Windows_

Get to play the tutorial, first, and third level

I like how the gaming community has become so stupid that NES graphics are considered a style of art when it's very clearly just laziness or lack of money.

No one chooses to make their game look like **** on purpose.
---
http://tinyurl.com/3ljyptn
Shooting blanks, every time, all the time.