This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Question about NVIDIA GTX 780 SLI

#21zaselim(Topic Creator)Posted 7/31/2013 12:35:07 PM
Its confusing to see that a 6gb card cant run tomb raider on max settings on constant 60fps or even at minimum smooth fps as

GreenMage7 mentioned that right now games don't reach uptop 3gb of vram unless unless you get into extreme textures, which only really happens with mods and even then nothing even gets close to 3GB.

so It is confusing for me to see that a 6gb card can run tomb raider on 1080p on max settings..Which only means even if i get 2 gtx780s there're not enough for some games that came this year or will come. i think games like watch dogs and gtaV will be more demanding than tomb raider in GFX requirements
#22DerPancakePosted 7/31/2013 12:38:48 PM(edited)
Buburibon posted...

I see, my SC Titan drops as low as ~28fps in certain cutscenes at Ultimate settings, i.e, Ultra+TressFX+FXAA minus maximum shadows. The settings I used in the video would absolutely obliterate my frame rates in some cutscenes. I'm talking between 10-15fps low...

Actually nevermind, I had medium shadows but TressFX is on. With High Shadows it takes 10 fps away.
---
i7-4770k | EVGA GeForce GTX770 2GB | Asus Sabertooth Z87 | Corsair Vengeance 8GB RAM
Samsung 840 120GB SSD | CM Storm Enforcer | Corsair TX 750 Watt
#23Lemur_HPosted 7/31/2013 1:03:41 PM
zaselim posted...
Its confusing to see that a 6gb card cant run tomb raider on max settings on constant 60fps or even at minimum smooth fps as

GreenMage7 mentioned that right now games don't reach uptop 3gb of vram unless unless you get into extreme textures, which only really happens with mods and even then nothing even gets close to 3GB.

so It is confusing for me to see that a 6gb card can run tomb raider on 1080p on max settings..Which only means even if i get 2 gtx780s there're not enough for some games that came this year or will come. i think games like watch dogs and gtaV will be more demanding than tomb raider in GFX requirements

VRAM does not indicate a cards performance.
#24zaselim(Topic Creator)Posted 7/31/2013 1:08:59 PM
oh then what does can you tell me plz?
#25Knight2520Posted 7/31/2013 1:10:08 PM
Will i wait for better card

If you take that kind of mentality then you'll be waiting forever. In the tech world, new hardware comes out every year.
---
If AMD goes down Intel might safely release i9 for $300 and i7 for $200 and i5 for $100 and i3 for free. - su27Chaos
#26gastamanPosted 7/31/2013 1:11:45 PM
DerPancake posted...
Buburibon posted...

I see, my SC Titan drops as low as ~28fps in certain cutscenes at Ultimate settings, i.e, Ultra+TressFX+FXAA minus maximum shadows. The settings I used in the video would absolutely obliterate my frame rates in some cutscenes. I'm talking between 10-15fps low...

Actually nevermind, I had medium shadows but TressFX is on. With High Shadows it takes 10 fps away.

You also weren't running 4xSSAA like in the video. That will kill your fps by a lot.
---
//Intel// Core i7 2600k @ 4.2 //Gigabyte// Z68X-UD7-B3 //MSI// 3x GTX 580 Lightning SLi
//Corsair// 650D / H100 / 120 GB Force 3 / 12 GB Dominator / AX1200
#27BuburibonPosted 7/31/2013 1:31:28 PM
zaselim posted...

That's right, "maxing" games can be quite the tall order sometimes. In the case of Tomb Raider, VRAM isn't at all an issue. As you can see in the video, it's only using about 1.4GB in that particular scene. It's the TressFX, Ultra Shadows, and the 4X Super Sampling Anti-Aliasing that are killing the frame rate. My educated guess is that dual ACX 780s would manage about 45fps at that particular spot.

Yes, "maxing" Watch Dogs and GTA5 might not be possible with a single current generation card. Only time will tell, though. So, for now, I'd recommend a single 780. Trust me, it's plenty, and you'll experience lots of "reasonable" eye candy with it for a couple years.
---
3770K @ 4.5Ghz | 16GB | TITAN
Steam | PSN | XBL: GVAmson23
#28zaselim(Topic Creator)Posted 7/31/2013 2:26:34 PM

'd recommend a single 780. Trust me, it's plenty, and you'll experience lots of "reasonable" eye candy with it for a couple years.

I am thinking the same thing, going for single Gtx 780 for a couple of years then replace it with a next gen card.

If you take that kind of mentality then you'll be waiting forever. In the tech world, new hardware comes out every year.

The only reason i think of waiting because GTX560 is giving me a decent game play on high settings, I played tomb raider on high settings on more than 30fps avg without the funny unrealistic real hair option and the only game right is in my pc is skyrim which also gives quite satisfactory fps (40-42) on high with some 2k tex mods and enb etc and like 250 mods, and I want to buy the next gen card and though that GTX780 is a next gen. I don't wait when i put my mind into something and i will not wait when i Will decide to go for the card and right now i am think to go for one GTX780 like Buburibon suggested.
#29romsnbombsPosted 7/31/2013 2:37:40 PM
AA just shouldn't count as maxing a game. The reason being, you can always make the best GPUs out there drop to low frame rates by using down sampling, SSAA, ubersampling or forcing 32xCSAA with 8x sparse grid. Really, what's the point?

I always shudder when I hear someone coming either from the consoles, or a moderate GPU, turning up and announcing that they "need to max all games for the next 3 years", like as if it's some kind of problem that needs to be solved.
---
2600k | P8P67 M Pro | 8GB | GTX 780 | 700W silent pro
#30zaselim(Topic Creator)Posted 7/31/2013 3:00:34 PM

I always shudder when I hear someone coming either from the consoles, or a moderate GPU, turning up and announcing that they "need to max all games for the next 3 years", like as if it's some kind of problem that needs to be solved.

I'm not coming from anything, i always was a Multi Console+PC gamer, I play on PC for best Graphics Experience and play on the consoles because of the exclusives. I just don't like and don't play FPS games(which is more of a pc thing and now its also a xbox360 thing) its just not my thing. The only FPS games I played were Crysis 2 and Far Cry 3 only because of the awesome Graphics. Wanted to play some of Crysis 3 just for the graphics as well but sadly gtx560 cant handle it.
And also I don't like to Buy a GFX Card every 6 months or after every year. After my GTX 9800 which i used for 3 and half years i wanted to but a card that can last at the same amount of time, i certainly don't think its problem that needs solving. The only reason i shifted from 9800 to gtx560 last year instead of 580 0r 680 because I had it for free so i thought I am getting a free thing why not use it for a while before getting the new high end one..
And a couple of months ago I bought the new PC and was going for GTX690 but the shop owner told me to wait for the GTX780..And now GTX780 has arrived in my country a week ago so i thought why not ask around and take the help from the guys who knows better that for next 2.5 of three years single GTX780 will suffice or should a get 2 of these...
Sorry for making you shudder lolzzz